Saving my pennies.....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So I can take Vrai on an awesome road trip. Don't tell, it's a surprise. I hope she likes red wine :alkies: & pizza :yay: & olives :drool: & coffee :coffee: & cheese :cheesy: & salami :yum: & spit roasted chicken :howdy: & stuffed, fried rice balls :wink: & lasagna :smile: & :dance: & :banana: &

bagno.jpg

39 reasons

mamatutu

mama to two
That is really cute and romantic. Got to keep the surprise of it all in this age of social media that travels a mile a second. Nice! And, you know we all want to hear every detail about the trip! :lol:

Afterthought: I remember when Dixie said I acted like I had a school girl crush on you! :lol: I am happily married to an awesome man, but it doesn't mean I can't say other men are awesome, too. :yay: This forum is way too much fun!

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So I can take Vrai on an awesome road trip. Don't tell, it's a surprise. I hope she likes red wine :alkies: & pizza :yay: & olives :drool: & coffee :coffee: & cheese :cheesy: & salami :yum: & spit roasted chicken :howdy: & stuffed, fried rice balls :wink: & lasagna :smile: & :dance: & :banana: &
Aww! :yay:

I have a coworker who went to Italy and did not like it. She was in northern Italy, and visted some of the most beautiful places in the world, so I cannot understand not liking it. Someone else I know just visited Naples, and said it was the worst place they'd ever been.

Granted, Naples is probably not what it used to be 40 years ago. We didn't live in the city downtown. We lived in the community in little towns away from the big city. I think off the beaten paths it's a lot different than downtown. We literally lived 5 minutes from the coast in a little town west of Pozzuoli called Fusaro (Bacoli)

Anyway, now that the Things are grown, I want to go back to Italy and visit the place I spent 5 years of my childhood and now I have an even better reason - Foxhound's family (2 or 3 generations back?) is from Caserta - and that is only about 1 hour from where we lived!

belvak

Happy Camper

That's going to take lots of pennies!! I'll start saving the ones I see in parking lots for you! :dance:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
going for our second trip in June. Cetona first time with a different hill top town every day, This time it is NUMBER 14, That is our house right on cliff, Will stay in 16 for two days.... So ready !!!!!!!!!!

Monello

PREMO Member
That is a cool looking place. What is it and where?

It is the town of Bagnoregio in Italy. Years ago the mountain eroded and left the city isolated. There is now a foot bridge. No cars are allowed in the town. Most things are brought in by donkey carts. Going there is like going back in time. The town has a population of about 100 people.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She will hate it. She has said 1,000 times she has no interest in traveling overseas.

But you saw what he did, right? Trying to woo me with food and booze. I'm like that donkey but instead of a carrot there's pasta and red wine on the stick.

SG_Player1974

But you saw what he did, right? Trying to woo me with food and booze. I'm like that donkey but instead of a carrot there's pasta and red wine on the stick.

Going to Italy for pizza and lasagna is kinda like going to Mexico for tacos don't ya' think?

BTW... Pasta and pizza are considered poor man's food in Italy. Upscale eating usually consists of steak or veal.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Going to Italy for pizza and lasagna is kinda like going to Mexico for tacos don't ya' think?

BTW... Pasta and pizza are considered poor man's food in Italy. Upscale eating usually consists of steak or veal.

Am I the only one who'd happily order some tacos while in Mexico? :shrug:

And Italy's poor man's food is still in no comparison to any 5-star-top of the line-best you can find in the states-pasta and pizza here. I'll gladly go to Italy again for some poor man's food :drool: When I travel I try to sample foods in all varieties: street vendors, cafes, family-style, and upscale dining. Then you actually get a real taste of that particular culture/region.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Am I the only one who'd happily order some tacos while in Mexico? :shrug:

You'd be foolish not to because tacos made by real Mexicans *for* Mexicans are not the same as what you get here. I'm a huge fan of street food and local eats. :yay:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
You'd be foolish not to because tacos made by real Mexicans *for* Mexicans are not the same as what you get here. I'm a huge fan of street food and local eats. :yay:

:yum:

After seeing all the advertisements at every restaurant and fast food stops for 'fish fry's' and 'fried fish' this and that, all I've been wanting to do is grab some fish and chips wrapped in newspaper from a little greasy fish n' chips shop like they have in England :drool: NOTHING like our fish and chips.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Um...I lived in Italy for 5-1/2 years. We ate pasta and pizza out in the community alla da time.

Plus, people there certainly didn't make pizza at home, no one had the brick ovens like that in their homes! :yay:

Have you ever lived there? Visiting is one thing - but experiencing the culture when you live there is another. Who put you in charge of deciding what upscale dining is? :rolleyes:

Monello

PREMO Member
Some of my more adventurous eats were in Italy. Things like horse, squid ink pasta, wild boar, doves, sea urchins. 1 place had donkey as a nightly special. I passed on that one.

Some of my favorite foods are from Sicily. They have a creative way of using what is abundant locally. They have some great peasant foods like pasta al forno, scacciata, arancini.

Yep had some great tacos cooked right in front of me. Algadones and San Louis. Used a farm disk for the frying. Had some great fish tacos in a little fishing village, also tamales.

SG_Player1974

Have you ever lived there? Visiting is one thing - but experiencing the culture when you live there is another. Who put you in charge of deciding what upscale dining is? :rolleyes:

I don't know.... 2 1/2 years qualify?

Ask any true Italian if pizza or a pasta as a main dish is considered quality dining. I'm not saying that it is not something to be tried.... just that it is not considered upscale eating just like I posted.

As for Sicily.... the thing I miss most about visiting there was the blood oranges.... Mmmmmm :drool:

Booboo3604

I don't know.... 2 1/2 years qualify?

Ask any true Italian if pizza or a pasta as a main dish is considered quality dining. I'm not saying that it is not something to be tried.... just that it is not considered upscale eating just like I posted.

As for Sicily.... the thing I miss most about visiting there was the blood oranges.... Mmmmmm :drool:

I actually had my first blood orange EVER this morning. Probably not from Sicily, but definitely pretty delicious!