Can anyone offer fishing advice

zar

Theist
I've been fishing off my pier the last couple of year since moving here. I maybe caught 2-3 fish and I usually give up before summer do to frustration. I've tried all types of baits like worms, shrimp, squid, rooster tails etc, different depths, different times. Worst of all I can often see big fish jumping around and catch them in crab pots so I know their out there. I tend to think I am doing something terribly wrong in my approach or maybe it's just a bad area.. i have no idea. Usually I cast a line and wait 5-10 minutes before reeling slowly.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Where are you fishing? There are a lot of different components at play. What type of setup do you use? What test is your line? Hook size?

If you are on a feeder creek to the river or bay try this. Set up a medium spinning pole with 8 pound test. Tie a swivel to the end and attach a double bottom rig to it. Use size 6 hooks baited with some blood worms. Add a 1 ounce weight on the end. Cast it out, remove the slack line and then just let it sit. You should be able to catch croakers, spot or white perch this way.

You can also cast artificial lures and target rockfish. You will have less success this way but catch larger fish.

You could also go down to 1 of the local fishing piers. Look around to see what others are using. Ask them questions. Someone there should be able to help you out.

zar

Theist
Where are you fishing?
i'm not really specifically fishing something, anything would be nice for a start

There are a lot of different components at play. What type of setup do you use? What test is your line? Hook size?
double bottom rig, test of line? not sure what that means. I don't know much about fishing, but it should hold a decent sized fish. Hook size on it is a decent size, maybe an inch and a half. Rod is a spinner.

If you are on a feeder creek to the river or bay try this. Set up a medium spinning pole with 8 pound test. Tie a swivel to the end and attach a double bottom rig to it. Use size 6 hooks baited with some blood worms. Add a 1 ounce weight on the end. Cast it out, remove the slack line and then just let it sit. You should be able to catch croakers, spot or white perch this way.
I live at the end of creek off brenton bay.. like the very end where it ends in a swampy woods area. The local fishing shop hooked me up with a rig that sounds similar to what you described. I've tried night crawlers but not bloods, will that make a difference? Also I've had problems with leafs/grass getting stuck in my hooks, should I use a bobber? I can also canoe up, brenton bay is only a quarter mile up but I've had no luck trying different areas.

You can also cast artificial lures and target rockfish. You will have less success this way but catch larger fish.

You could also go down to 1 of the local fishing piers. Look around to see what others are using. Ask them questions. Someone there should be able to help you out.

Last edited:

zar

Theist
Need to know where you're fishing. Fresh, salt, brackish. Tidal? Any idea what kind of fish are around?

salt.. I've caught perch on the rod and small carp last year. In my crab pot i've caught catfish, flounders and a few others but I wasn't sure what they were. I've never seen a croaker down here.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
salt.. I've caught perch on the rod and small carp last year. In my crab pot i've caught catfish, flounders and a few others but I wasn't sure what they were. I've never seen a croaker down here.

You'll see/catch more croaker than you know what to do with if you fish out toward the mouth of Breton Bay. And perch, flounder, etc. I used to live about half way up St. Patrick's Creek (just around the corner..so to speak) and fish didn't come very far up that creek either.

My advice is to not fish at night without a flashlight. I understand there are angry critters out there.

Midnightrider

i'm not really specifically fishing something, anything would be nice for a start

double bottom rig, test of line? not sure what that means. I don't know much about fishing, but it should hold a decent sized fish. Hook size on it is a decent size, maybe an inch and a half. Rod is a spinner.

I live at the end of creek off brenton bay.. like the very end where it ends in a swampy woods area. The local fishing shop hooked me up with a rig that sounds similar to what you described. I've tried night crawlers but not bloods, will that make a difference? Also I've had problems with leafs/grass getting stuck in my hooks, should I use a bobber? I can also canoe up, brenton bay is only a quarter mile up but I've had no luck trying different areas.
Bloodworms will make a difference, and probably a smaller hook from the sounds of it. Later in the season you can use peeler crabs, they are perfect for where you are fishing. Try fishing the tides. Go when it is moving either in or out. It you paddle out to the mouth of your creek and fish an outgoing tide you should do ok. If your creek has any narrow sections where the water moves faster, try fishing the outside bends and anyplace you find a change in depth.

BTW, I have heard good things about the fake blood worms, although I have not tried them myself . Regular ones are expensive and don't last long.

The fake ones work well, not as good as real though. If you put a fake and a real one on they will take the real first.

Hannibal

Dammit - I had a long write up for you and hit the wrong button and lost it.

Will respond shortly when I get a break from work.

Hannibal

This time of year, pickings may be a bit slim but as the water is starting to warm up, you'll see more action. Based on where you are, I would think you'd have the oppertunity to see spot/perch, croaker, blues (on occasion), cats, and on the rare occasion, a confused striper/rock.

My suggestion - a basic 6-7' rod with 6-8lb test. A basic double hook rig (top/bottom rig) you can find at any store and as little weight as possible. I'd say 1.5-2oz. Key here is that you want the lightest rig possible that will allow you to cast as far as possible while providing enough "ass" to reel in the fish you are targetting. 6-8lb test will serve you fine with all species with the exception of some beefy striper/cat. The lighter/thinner line will allow you to cast further with less weight and will provide you more feel. Mono is pretty amazing stuff. For reference I use 17-20lb test line while casting out 8-10oz of weight (plus bait weight) on a 12' rod when surf fishing. It handles that amount of stress/shock and is capable of easily bringing in large fish (30-40") or heavy rays. Unless you hook into a striper (rarity) or large blue (also rare), most of the fish you will see will be under a pound.

Hooks generally dictate size. Only big fish can take a big hook. However, both big and small fish can take a small hook. Use smaller hooks to broaden your options.

Tip the hooks with bloodworms. They are expensive so use sparingly. For most fish, a 1" segment per hook is adequate. If targetting stripers/cats - a bigger peice is preferred.

Toss out into deeper water this time of year. Reel in slowly until you feel the weight start to pull of the bottom. Let it rest (don't pull off the water). The idea is to pull the slack out of the line and then use your fingers to feel the line. When a fish starts to nibble, you will feel the line vibrate. Let it play with it a bit until you get a big/more obvious "hit". Set the hook by quickly lifting the rod tip straight up. Let the line sit still for a second (with no slack) and if you have a fish - you will feel it thrashing on the line. If not, let it sit and you'd be surprised how quickly they fish will come back.

For most fish, you can simply reel in. For something big, you might have to adjust the drag which will allow line to be pulled off your spool depending on how hard the fish pulls. This is your safety machanism that prevents your line from breaking (it can be adjusted).

Do not use bobbers. Waste of time.

Bloodworms will cover most available species. If you want to get crazy, you can use some of the caught fish to catch others. Spots cut into small chunks are a favorite of stripers/rock and even blues. Catfish also like them. Blues like to eat other hunks of blues.

Want to get real crazy, using a heavier rod with heavier line (12-15lb ..... even 20lb) - rig up a double rig with bigger hooks. Cut up a peice of spot into 1x1 hunks and toss out just before dark. Let it sit over night (make sure rod is secure and can't be pulled in). Check rod in the AM. Might find yourself a large cat where you're fishing.

zar

Theist
This time of year, pickings may be a bit slim but as the water is starting to warm up, you'll see more action. Based on where you are, I would think you'd have the oppertunity to see spot/perch, croaker, blues (on occasion), cats, and on the rare occasion, a confused striper/rock.

My suggestion - a basic 6-7' rod with 6-8lb test. A basic double hook rig (top/bottom rig) you can find at any store and as little weight as possible. I'd say 1.5-2oz. Key here is that you want the lightest rig possible that will allow you to cast as far as possible while providing enough "ass" to reel in the fish you are targetting. 6-8lb test will serve you fine with all species with the exception of some beefy striper/cat. The lighter/thinner line will allow you to cast further with less weight and will provide you more feel. Mono is pretty amazing stuff. For reference I use 17-20lb test line while casting out 8-10oz of weight (plus bait weight) on a 12' rod when surf fishing. It handles that amount of stress/shock and is capable of easily bringing in large fish (30-40") or heavy rays. Unless you hook into a striper (rarity) or large blue (also rare), most of the fish you will see will be under a pound.

Hooks generally dictate size. Only big fish can take a big hook. However, both big and small fish can take a small hook. Use smaller hooks to broaden your options.

Tip the hooks with bloodworms. They are expensive so use sparingly. For most fish, a 1" segment per hook is adequate. If targetting stripers/cats - a bigger peice is preferred.

Toss out into deeper water this time of year. Reel in slowly until you feel the weight start to pull of the bottom. Let it rest (don't pull off the water). The idea is to pull the slack out of the line and then use your fingers to feel the line. When a fish starts to nibble, you will feel the line vibrate. Let it play with it a bit until you get a big/more obvious "hit". Set the hook by quickly lifting the rod tip straight up. Let the line sit still for a second (with no slack) and if you have a fish - you will feel it thrashing on the line. If not, let it sit and you'd be surprised how quickly they fish will come back.

For most fish, you can simply reel in. For something big, you might have to adjust the drag which will allow line to be pulled off your spool depending on how hard the fish pulls. This is your safety machanism that prevents your line from breaking (it can be adjusted).

Do not use bobbers. Waste of time.

Bloodworms will cover most available species. If you want to get crazy, you can use some of the caught fish to catch others. Spots cut into small chunks are a favorite of stripers/rock and even blues. Catfish also like them. Blues like to eat other hunks of blues.

Want to get real crazy, using a heavier rod with heavier line (12-15lb ..... even 20lb) - rig up a double rig with bigger hooks. Cut up a peice of spot into 1x1 hunks and toss out just before dark. Let it sit over night (make sure rod is secure and can't be pulled in). Check rod in the AM. Might find yourself a large cat where you're fishing.

Thanks good advice here. Thanks to everyone for the replies. I actually saw this guy on youtube do something similar with pvc pipe and rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlGAx7L3y8

zar

Theist
So did you go fishing?

I've been out another 5-6 times and haven't caught anything but sea grass

I think I'll have better luck with this warm weather in the next 2-3 weeks.. I did cast some rubber baits and after 6 hours they were gone.. so something is out there. Maybe I need to be more patient. And soon I'll have my dingy.. maybe I'll better luck out on the boat and if not, at least I'm on a boat.