Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: They're Back!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Do you ever see (or hear) any bob whites up where you live?
    Come to think of it, nope can't say I have. But I hear a crap load of whippoorwills, owls, woodpeckers, turkeys and a bunch I can't identify.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    Come to think of it, nope can't say I have. But I hear a crap load of whippoorwills, owls, woodpeckers, turkeys and a bunch I can't identify.
    I used to hear them all the time about ten - fifteen years ago and it occurred to me that I hadn't heard them in at least that long. I miss that summer sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I used to hear them all the time about ten - fifteen years ago and it occurred to me that I hadn't heard them in at least that long. I miss that summer sound.
    As an area gets more populated with people, and there is less farmland available for habitat, there are less quail. I live too far away from farmland out here in the hills so my area isn't an area that would be a good for them.

Used to have a family of them where I lived in NY, going back to when I was a kid. Little chicks following momma for quite a few years. They eventually disappeared. I too miss them and their call.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Used to have a family of them where I lived in NY, going back to when I was a kid. Little chicks following momma for quite a few years. They eventually disappeared. I too miss them and their call.
    I live in an house that's divided into four apartments surrounded by acres and acres of farmland and woods. I used to sit outside and see ground hogs, skunks and their offspring, and foxes. Actual herds of deer have gone across the property not ten feet from my front door. On one occasion a doe and two fawns were out under our apple tree for nearly an hour, just laying there in broad daylight. The guy who farms the land decided to fence it all in. I haven't seen any animals at all since he did that and whereas I understand - it sure has taken away some of the wonder of living here.

I've seen quail with their chicks too - it's like something out of Bambi.

Well, they are finally back (at least a pair of them). And the leaves on the poplars have finally started erupting too.

Just saw our first visitor this evening!

Nice. Still waiting here.
    The Brain

There's a pair here now, but they are just flying back and forth, checking out the feeders, but not stopping for a drink.
    The Brain

They finally decided to drink.

But they seem to like the cheap plastic feeder better than the nice antique glass bottle feeder....

Neat tho, the feeder has a clear bottom, so you can see their tongues as they drink.
    The Brain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.