Essex Drive South Traffic Issues

If you live in Essex South and have issues with traffic, please message me. The neighbors in the older section (the ones without sidewalks) are meeting with Police to address the problems and hopefully come up with some solutions. :strangle:

glhs837

Power with Control
So, you are dividing the neighborhood between one section and the next? Why not involve all the neighbors? Or is the mean new people speeding through your nice quiet older section to get home?

Everyone is welcome to attend. Pretty sure there won't be many attendees from newer sections of neighborhood since they are the biggest offenders

CrashTest

They could do what they do in Wildewood. Paint a line on the road separating the speeding vehicles from the brave pedestrians. A painted line will provide all the safety you need.

CrashTest

If the lines alone don't work for you hood, sometimes in WW they'll stick a cop car out there every 6 months or so to make it look like they have the problem under control. Brainiacs hard at work trying to close the barn door when the horses are long gone.

RetiredCPO

Isn't there an HOA back there?
When I rented on Scarborough Drive while our house was being built, the HOA always handled issue like this and called a meeting to discuss.
Don't know what the police are going to do anyways, we had a rash of vandalism back a few years ago and they did nothing but take reports.
I had one of my trucks tires slashed and a few weeks later they smashed the window out of my neighbors van.
There was a total of about a dozen incidents that magically stopped after I installed surveillance cameras.
Even in our new neighborhood, if you want something enforced, you have to do it yourself.

Codfish

If you live in Essex South and have issues with traffic, please message me. The neighbors in the older section (the ones without sidewalks) are meeting with Police to address the problems and hopefully come up with some solutions. :strangle:

I think thats a great idea. I live on Essex South at the top of the hill and people fly by. Perhaps we could see about getting speed bumps installed? How does everyone feel about establishing a neighborhood watch? I have quite a few friends in the neighborhood and we are all on board with it.

I think thats a great idea. I live on Essex South at the top of the hill and people fly by. Perhaps we could see about getting speed bumps installed? How does everyone feel about establishing a neighborhood watch? I have quite a few friends in the neighborhood and we are all on board with it.

I think a neighborhood watch program is an excellent idea and I will bring it up at our meeting. Codfish, I am making my rounds up and down the street to talk to neighbors so I'll be seeing you soon! This has been a long timing coming

Isn't there an HOA back there?
When I rented on Scarborough Drive while our house was being built, the HOA always handled issue like this and called a meeting to discuss.
Don't know what the police are going to do anyways, we had a rash of vandalism back a few years ago and they did nothing but take reports.
I had one of my trucks tires slashed and a few weeks later they smashed the window out of my neighbors van.
There was a total of about a dozen incidents that magically stopped after I installed surveillance cameras.
Even in our new neighborhood, if you want something enforced, you have to do it yourself.

No, we have no HOA but that has been mentioned numerous times the last few days and is on the plate. The police have been very active to our complaints, they don't have the resources to sit in here 24/7 that's why we need neighbors that see things to say something. Change is coming

Codfish

When and where is the meeting? I will pass the word to the folks I work with who live in the neighborhood. This is a great neighborhood in really a great location. If we can band together to keep it safe and secure, I think all the residents will be much happier!

wittykitty

When and where is the meeting? I will pass the word to the folks I work with who live in the neighborhood. This is a great neighborhood in really a great location. If we can band together to keep it safe and secure, I think all the residents will be much happier!

I agree. Love our little neighborhood. It just needs the strength of a community.

Codfish

One of the main reasons i moved into this neighborhood was because it did not have an HOA. I think we can solve these issues without an HOA. I would pose the question of speed bumps/humps. I think one at the top of the hill and one down the way a bit will really slow people down. You cant hit 60mph with a speed bump in the way. I think a one time fundraiser to build the speed bumps would be an option instead of monthly HOA dues.

Say something to whom?

No, we have no HOA but that has been mentioned numerous times the last few days and is on the plate. The police have been very active to our complaints, they don't have the resources to sit in here 24/7 that's why we need neighbors that see things to say something. Change is coming

The police? If you see a car speeding or driving recklessly, and you call the police and file a report with the offender's license plate number and description of the driver, you will have to be willing to go into court and testify. How many of your working neighbors are going to be willing to take a day off work to do that? And if the offender has a decent attorney, they'll get off anyway. Plus, you might just be putting yourself or your family in jeopardy because the offender now knows your name and address. Think about if it's all worth it!

The meeting will be the middle of May at the Library. When everything is in place I will let everyone know

Codfish

That is a very good point. People these days may be crazy and deface property or cause more issues for reporting them. That is another very good point and I think if everyone raised funds to have two speed bumps installed, that would really help out.

One of the main reasons i moved into this neighborhood was because it did not have an HOA. I think we can solve these issues without an HOA. I would pose the question of speed bumps/humps. I think one at the top of the hill and one down the way a bit will really slow people down. You cant hit 60mph with a speed bump in the way. I think a one time fundraiser to build the speed bumps would be an option instead of monthly HOA dues.

The are HOA's that do not require fees and involves 1 or 2 points of contact within the neighborhood. There are many things we can do as a community

The police? If you see a car speeding or driving recklessly, and you call the police and file a report with the offender's license plate number and description of the driver, you will have to be willing to go into court and testify. How many of your working neighbors are going to be willing to take a day off work to do that? And if the offender has a decent attorney, they'll get off anyway. Plus, you might just be putting yourself or your family in jeopardy because the offender now knows your name and address. Think about if it's all worth it!

We have lived here 35 years and I have gone to court numerous times and will continue to do so if it makes us safer and God help someone that would try to retaliate. I will not take threats lightly

glhs837

Power with Control
I think the speed bump thing may not be as easy as you think. There's engineering cost involved, and the issue of snowploughs to start with. Maint cost would need to be considered. You cant just change county roads without a whole lot of paperwork. Might even require a special taxing district sort of thing