Eviction movers

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
For those of you who have had to do an eviction, did you hire movers or move the tenants belongings yourself? Apparently my renter is going to hold out, so I am faced with either moving a whole household (while I am moving my own house that week as well) or hiring movers. She already owes me over the small claims court limit, so I am not likely to get reimbursed (for any of it, for that matter, I'm not likely to see a penny from her I'm thinking). How much is it going to run me? Any recommendations?

For those of you who have had to do an eviction, did you hire movers or move the tenants belongings yourself? Apparently my renter is going to hold out, so I am faced with either moving a whole household (while I am moving my own house that week as well) or hiring movers. She already owes me over the small claims court limit, so I am not likely to get reimbursed (for any of it, for that matter, I'm not likely to see a penny from her I'm thinking). How much is it going to run me? Any recommendations?

I paid some people I knew (e.g. employees from a different operation) to help me move the stuff to the roadside. It's a somewhat uncomfortable situation, so you probably want to get it over with as quickly as possible. And when it comes to the stuff people accumulate where they're living, it always seems to be more (and take longer to move) than would have been estimated.

I don't have any idea what it would cost you, it was more than a decade ago when I had to do it and I didn't hire a moving company anyway. Do you have some friends you could get to help you and just pay them for their time or buy them dinner or something?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I paid some people I knew (e.g. employees from a different operation) to help me move the stuff to the roadside. It's a somewhat uncomfortable situation, so you probably want to get it over with as quickly as possible. And when it comes to the stuff people accumulate where they're living, it always seems to be more (and take longer to move) than would have been estimated.

I don't have any idea what it would cost you, it was more than a decade ago when I had to do it and I didn't hire a moving company anyway. Do you have some friends you could get to help you and just pay them for their time or buy them dinner or something?

The only issue with that is, I am already borrowing these people to move my own stuff that week. I could prob round up a few people, but with all of the things I have going on, the idea of a co doing it for me is super appealing. But the more I look, it looks like the cost is prohibitive.

SG_Player1974

Just a thought...

You get some friends to move the items. Something breaks. Then she sues you for damages.

Get bonded movers. If anything.. to avoid future problems :yay:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I worked at shop years ago that the owner had us not go to work one day but had us all go evict a tenant he’d been renting a house to. He’d given the family plenty of chances but it was still hard for me to put the kids rooms on the lawn. The Dad asked me if it was okay if he got his daughters diaper bag out of the pile.

:frown:

R

rhenderson

You just need some bodies to carry the stuff off your property. Also, I presume you are talking about a legal eviction with a court order served by the Sheriff's office, etc. When I helped a friend out in Baltimore a few years ago, the eviction officer would not serve the warrant until the landlord had at least two people there to remove the property. In this case the tenant decided to get some family to help her move her stuff but did not do so until the eviction notice was served.

Also, when you evict the tenant, change all the locks immediately. If they get back in after the eviction, you could be back to square one to get them out again - another eviction procedure from the start. Have a locksmith scheduled to change/rekey the locks after the eviction is served. If you don't have it scheduled the locksmith may charge you for an emergency call.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
You set her items outside on the street. Give it a day or two and people will pick through it. Most of the items will be gone. What's left, take to the dump.

SoMDGirl42

You set her items outside on the street. Give it a day or two and people will pick through it. Most of the items will be gone. What's left, take to the dump.

I think she knows that. What she's asking for is the bodies to take the crap out of the house to the street. :shrug:

The only issue with that is, I am already borrowing these people to move my own stuff that week. I could prob round up a few people, but with all of the things I have going on, the idea of a co doing it for me is super appealing. But the more I look, it looks like the cost is prohibitive.

Understood. It's an unfortunate situation.

Has the tenant already been given a notice of eviction and still refuses to move their property? This isn't a situation where they still have a right of redemption, is it?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
She refuses to communicate with me, refused to go to court and as of last night is still occupying the property. All that's left is for me to make the appointment with the sheriff's office to oversee. Add that to the two months I have been offering to let her go scot free if she would just vacate and she's had more than enough chances I believe. She does technically have the right of redemption, HOWEVER, the amount she owes is substantial (6k+) and her lease is up in two weeks anyway. It would be a poor decision for her to actually pay the money when you think about it and I'm sure that doesn't escape her. I'm extremely frustrated at the "process" but it does seem to go smoothly for the most part. Just all the waiting periods are edging my nerves.

lovinmaryland

Post on freecycle. Those b itches get crazy over free stuff. They'll have that house picked empty in a matter of hours!

She refuses to communicate with me, refused to go to court and as of last night is still occupying the property. All that's left is for me to make the appointment with the sheriff's office to oversee. Add that to the two months I have been offering to let her go scot free if she would just vacate and she's had more than enough chances I believe. She does technically have the right of redemption, HOWEVER, the amount she owes is substantial (6k+) and her lease is up in two weeks anyway. It would be a poor decision for her to actually pay the money when you think about it and I'm sure that doesn't escape her. I'm extremely frustrated at the "process" but it does seem to go smoothly for the most part. Just all the waiting periods are edging my nerves.

Gotcha. Hopefully the ordeal is soon over. If she owes that much, you're right, she probably won't pay it at the last minute. You may get there to reclaim the property and find that she's already moved most everything (or everything she cares about) out, she just didn't do you the courtesy of letting you know. The problem is you have to plan as though she won't have moved anything.

The process does favor tenants. As with so many private party contract matters, government policy is chosen so as to favor one party class at the expense of another - to protect one group while burdening the other. And the choice of which party class is to be favored by government policy is often fairly arbitrary or even internally inconsistent.

bilbur

Why there are people out there that think they are entitled to something for nothing is beyond me. It is stories like this that scare me from ever renting my apartment when I decide to get a house. My next door neighbor has another condo he rents out and is in the same situation. He is at the point where he is getting the cops to supervise as he takes her stuff and puts it off of the property. There should be a website where people can post the names of these dead beat renters so the next person doesn't fall into the same trap.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Post on freecycle. Those b itches get crazy over free stuff. They'll have that house picked empty in a matter of hours!

Actually, this is a great idea. Get other people to do the heavy moving for you. :yay:

BUT, the idea would be to post that a house is being emptied, and that the items must FIRST be placed off of the property, then the items can be hauled off. You can't invite people to come in to the house and then take items directly to their vehicles; the items MUST first be placed off of the property. Once items are by the side of the road, it's a free-for-all.

The owner of the property has the first option to retrieve her goods prior to anyone else in a grab-fest.

bilbur

Advertise it as a yard sale with "EVERYTHING FREE"

I would say sell the person's things to recoup some of the losses but I don't know if that is legal and I doubt they have anything worth selling if they let themselves get into the situation they are currently in.

Smith

Hire some movers, add that expense to what she owes you, sue for a judgment, then turn over to a collection agency. You may only get a portion of your money back, but it is better than losing all of it.

Roman

We had to move the stuff out of our rental, and to clean the hideous mess the dead-beat renter left behind.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That's a great idea. We get "moving and everything just go" ads in the Yard Sale classifieds all the time, so why not this? Even if you can't sell any of it for money - I don't know what the legals are - just to have people come get it out of your life would be fine.