Yard work....

Dakota

~~~~~~~
For the past few years, I have been clearing a great deal of our property. The other night my husband & I burned a crap load of brush and now I have the area all cleared, another 10 feet back, and ready for some grass seed. What is a good shade seed? I would be putting this around trees and just know that the sunlight will be few and far between.

Also my neighbor commented that he has always had such a horrible problem with moles/voles - mainly voles prior to last year and it just all the sudden stopped last year. He is giving my cat credit, which granted, he has made numerous kills but our Bugg dog is close behind. I think the biggest reason for the mole/vole stoppage is clearing all this brush out that I have the past year or so. It is exposing them and when they come out of their holes, they are finding the security of brush/leaves is gone, making them easier to kill by my prized hunters.

A few things about grass seed: obvious you want a blend for shade. Whether it's dense shade or partial shade can make a difference. That's why no matter what brand you choose, it should be a blend of different types of perennial grasses. The chances of at least one strain thriving is better. Read the blend contents. A little annual grass is ok to help cover the area immediately, but will be worthless come winter.

My yard is completely torn up from moles. It's never been so bad. They've ruined my gardens. BUT.... as I was working on a small garden by the road I saw a mole trying to scoot across the road.

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

GWguy 1
Moles 0

Dakota

~~~~~~~
GW :lol:

Okay, I have to rake a few tarps of leaves out of 1 area and won't be purchasing the grass seed until maybe Monday. I had my hand on what I thought would work, which was a mix, but was a little unsure and frankly not ready yet. I want to get the leaves out of this one area I don't intend to seed but for the simple fact they are getting too deep and too close to flower beds for our liking where we don't want moles/voles to lurk.... and I will have no other choice but to drag the tarp over the areas I do want to seed.

I find more vole kills vs. mole kills. In the 20-30ish they have killed the past year, only 2 moles, the rest voles.

My cats are Psychopaths when it comes to killing. They torture their prey and last year a neighbor went out and smashed 1 of those moles with a shovel because it couldn't watch my cat torture it anymore.

Vince

Just finished my work for the day. I'm beat. Hauled 2 loaded of accumulated junk to the dump, cleaned the truck, burned some papers (documents that need to be burned or shredded), weed wacked, mowed grass and I quit. Tomorrow it's wash the car and truck, some sidewalk work and till the garden. Need to get caught up around here to make time for GOLF!!!

Great day for outside chores. Cleared the last of the winter leaves from the last garden, mulched, power washed the side of the house. Found some serious erosion, enough where I will lose the backyard steps soon. Gotta figure out how to stabilize it. Having some lunch, might do some more power washing while it's out.

RPMDAD

Trimmed back the Hearty Hibiscus plants and cut back the ornamental grasses. Cut an acre of grass, and getting ready to do battle with the dreaded weed whacker, that either starts and runs like a charm or takes 2 days to get running. Haven't even looked at the push mower yet, however the JD is running like a charm. Did a test run with it last weekend and cut about 50% of the yard.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Over the past 3 days, I am sure I have clocked in close to, if not slightly more, than 12 hours... 5 of those hours was burning a massive brush pile. I'm on a water break right now but I'm sure I'll be back outside soon. Hopefully the porch monkies will be gone. I did mow the grass, 1 acre with a push mower and planted 83 bulbs. :dead: It will all be worth it when it looks like flowers throw up all over my yard this summer. :bann:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I understand C Ruderalis would be the best for that environment. Quick growing, bit doesn't get tall.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
But I'm with you.. we've been in the yard all day. BG mowed (twice to get it short enough) then I slice seeded the entire yard.. with a push seeder. I searched for a tow behind or a three point for rent, but no.. I pushed that damn thing for about 7 hours today (not self propelled)

But about 2 acres seeded, 300 pounds of grass seed down.... let's see how it works..

RPMDAD

This says it all.

spring.jpg

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I understand C Ruderalis would be the best for that environment. Quick growing, bit doesn't get tall.

:lol: Might be a bit too open for that....

7 hours, wow!!! :faint:

I have found I can no longer work like that because I will pay for it the next day. One year, I did so much I could barely step up on the curb to enter a building. I might have been okay with a cane but ended up walking up the handicapped entrance.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Come on over little bitch. I will put you to work.

:lol: It sounds like you push yourself like a work horse. I am guilty of the same exact thing, hence the reason I have issues the next day with simple things, like walking.... and it starts right out the gate as I get out of bed, tip toeing to the bathroom in agony. :ohwell:

I am trying to be better this year and pace myself.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
:lol: It sounds like you push yourself like a work horse. I am guilty of the same exact thing, hence the reason I have issues the next day with simple things, like walking.... and it starts right out the gate as I get out of bed, tip toeing to the bathroom in agony. :ohwell:

I am trying to be better this year and pace myself.
I am tired and it seems like the yard work (to my standards) will never end.

mamatutu

mama to two
I feel that way ever year and each year I have to decide that I'm just done or I'd have zero time for other summer fun things.

Hub and I used to always do the yard work, until 3 years ago. We couldn't take it anymore. We get the clean up, weed pulling, spraying, mulching, etc. done now by a company. That was 3 weeks ago and there are weeds already growing in the beds. It never ends! :jameo: