GPS recommendations

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I need a new one - my 3 year old Garmin won't let me update the maps.

Any suggestions for what its replacement should be?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My phone has a terrific GPS but I like the visual of it being on my windshield so I can see what's going on and not just hear it. I suppose I could get a phone mount and just keep the phone plugged in while I'm driving, but I like something that just stays there instead of me having to keep moving it around.

glhs837

Power with Control
A good mount is really a drop in affair. Depending on your phone, it no hassle. Unless of course, you leave your phone in your purse all the time, then it's a bit of a hassle. But putting the phone in a holder isn't any harder than dropping it into cubby in the console. I am sad that Motorola hasn't made a factory mount for the Turbo like they did for my old Droids. Those things were awesome. Perfect fit for the phone, slipped right in. Last one even had a charging point built in. I left the power cable attached to the mount, and putting the phone in the cradle set it right onto the micro usb built into the mount. New phone has wireless charging, which would make that even easier. What sort of phone do you have?

I want a GPS where I can change the voiceover to one that sounds like a famous character... imagine taking directions from Sheldon or Captain Kirk.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I want a GPS where I can change the voiceover to one that sounds like a famous character... imagine taking directions from Sheldon or Captain Kirk.

Waze lets you have Elvis. "Uh, turn right." Or "boy band" where they sing the directions. Of course, you'd have to trade in your bag phone and get something from this century.

MMDad

Lem Putt
My phone has a terrific GPS but I like the visual of it being on my windshield so I can see what's going on and not just hear it. I suppose I could get a phone mount and just keep the phone plugged in while I'm driving, but I like something that just stays there instead of me having to keep moving it around.

I got a mount that fits into the CD slot. Works great.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A couple of things:

I do keep my phone in my purse and if I have to keep switching it back and forth from windshield to purse to windshield to purse...that's not gonna happen.

Also, the GPS is for major cross-country travel, not just putzing around town. My current GPS shows me how far the next rest stop is, local restaurants, gas stations, etc etc, but my phone's GPS won't do that without having to leave the app and open something else.

The one I have is great except it won't update to new maps and information.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
A couple of things:

I do keep my phone in my purse and if I have to keep switching it back and forth from windshield to purse to windshield to purse...that's not gonna happen.

Also, the GPS is for major cross-country travel, not just putzing around town. My current GPS shows me how far the next rest stop is, local restaurants, gas stations, etc etc, but my phone's GPS won't do that without having to leave the app and open something else.

The one I have is great except it won't update to new maps and information.

I had to get used to using my phone, now I adore it. Especially using waze because it warns you of road hazards and speed traps and gives you options for re-routing when your chosen route has traffic...which helps you beat the GPS, of course :) Plus you get points. I have no idea what the points do, but it sure is fun to get them! It also allows you to use a very good search feature that brings up options in your area for whatever you're searching for. I have used it to find all kinds of things. Its worth a look while your searching for your new stand alone unit, anyway.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You need this:

prot4.jpg

And this:

Soviet-1-50-000-Scale-Topo-Map-Sample01.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I had to get used to using my phone, now I adore it. Especially using waze because it warns you of road hazards and speed traps and gives you options for re-routing when your chosen route has traffic...which helps you beat the GPS, of course :) Plus you get points. I have no idea what the points do, but it sure is fun to get them! It also allows you to use a very good search feature that brings up options in your area for whatever you're searching for. I have used it to find all kinds of things. Its worth a look while your searching for your new stand alone unit, anyway.

That's my perception, that the phones are just better now than a dedicated GPS. Blew me away when it showed traffic flow in real time as well as construction zones. I guess there is a GPS that does that but the phone is so easy, the ability to 'drop' a pin and share locations. Happy with the phone.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's my perception, that the phones are just better now than a dedicated GPS. Blew me away when it showed traffic flow in real time as well as construction zones. I guess there is a GPS that does that but the phone is so easy, the ability to 'drop' a pin and share locations. Happy with the phone.

Daughter, being an Apple person, was hung up on Apple Maps, told her she had to try Google Nav and she stopped using that Apple stuff real fast. You can overlay sat view, so if you can orient using overhead (folks who fly for a living might find that easier :) ) but one of the biggest was the lane specific direction. It will not only tell you which lane you want, but it will show how many lane choices there are and show which of the five lanes you need before you get there.