Daniel 1:3-7

hotcoffee

Daniel 1:3 Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring into the king’s service some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility— 4 young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king’s palace. He was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians. 5 The king assigned them a daily amount of food and wine from the king’s table. They were to be trained for three years, and after that they were to enter the king’s service.

6 Among those who were chosen were some from Judah: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. 7 The chief official gave them new names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abednego.

b. Daniel 1:4 Or Chaldeans

I found two commentaries that are easy to understand and give us the who, what, and why of Daniels captivity. Both commentaries say that the captives were all young Jewish boys between the ages of 13-17. They both say that they were handsome, and from good families. Both commentaries also agree that these boys were to be trained in the Babylonian ways, including instruction on the gods of the Babylonians, because they would be sent back to rule the people of their homeland. Both commentaries agree that this was a tactical move. The boys they took were from royal wealthy families who would not fight back for fear of loosing their boys for good. Once the boys were indoctrinated, they would spread the indoctrination back in their homeland.

WHO

When I googled Ashpenaz I found that this seizure was discussed in 2 Kings and Isaiah. [If you go to the link you can link back to the three verses below]

2 Kings 20:18 "And some of your descendants, your own flesh and blood who will be born to you, will be taken away, and they will become eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon."

2 Kings 24:15 Nebuchadnezzar took Jehoiachin captive to Babylon. He also took from Jerusalem to Babylon the king's mother, his wives, his officials and the prominent people of the land.

Isaiah 39:7 "And some of your descendants, your own flesh and blood who will be born to you, will be taken away, and they will become eunuchs in the palace of the king of Babylon."​

Then we have four of the fine young men, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, who were from Judah.

In one commentary we are given the meanings of the names.

i. The name Daniel (meaning God is my judge) was changed to Belteshazzar (meaning Bel’s prince).

ii. The name Hannaniah (meaning Beloved by the LORD) was changed to Shadrach (meaning Illumined by Sun-god).

iii. The name Mishael (meaning Who is as God) was changed to Meshach (meaning Who is like Venus).

iv. The name Azariah (meaning The LORD is my help) was changed to Abed-Nego (meaning Servant of Nego).​

WHAT

The commentaries explain that these boys were first made into eunuchs. These bright and handsome young Jewish boys were castrated.

Jesus talked about castration in Matthew.

Matthew 19:11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”​

We also learn here that the boys were given the same food that Nebuchadnezzar ate. The commentaries agree that there was a big difference between the diets of the rich and poor. One of the commentaries wanted to take control of every part of these boys lives.

WHY

The purpose of the food, names and education was simple. This was an effort at total indoctrination, working to make these young Jewish men leave behind their Hebrew God and culture. Undoubtedly, Nebuchadnezzar wanted to communicate to these young men, “look to me for everything.” Daniel and his friends refused, insisting that they look to God.

i. Calvin wrote that Nebuchadnezzar knew that the Jews were a stiff-necked and obstinate people, and that he used the sumptuous food to soften up the captives.

ii. Satan uses a similar strategy against believers today, wanting to indoctrinate us into the world system. Satan wants us to:

· Feed on what the world offers

· Identify (“name”) ourselves in reference to the world

· Educate ourselves in the ways of the world​

:coffee: