Merit based hschool program discriminates against minorities

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It seems it only discriminates against 2 of the 3 US minority groups. 1 group, Asians, make up 70% of next years freshman class.

Asian American students will make up 70 percent of the incoming freshman class at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, the highest percentage ever for the elite magnet school in Northern Virginia.

But in the diversity at all costs atmosphere that is becoming the US, this was bound to happen.

Fairfax leaders have faced criticism in recent years for TJ’s historical lack of diversity, particularly among black, Hispanic and low-income students.
In 2012, an activist group representing those students filed a complaint against Fairfax County with the U.S Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights, alleging that the admission process discriminates against black, Hispanic and poor students.

Kung fu smart

So if you don't get into a particular school because you don't qualify academically, you want quotas or have them lower the standards.

What makes Asians more likely to achieve academic excellence? (*** Bigot Alert ***) I suspect it's a combination of culture and intelligence. Maybe some tiger parents can host a seminar on how to parent a high achieving child. Parents that stress doing well in school, instill a love of reading, get involved with homework help their children immensely. Conversely not going to class, not doing homework, never opening a book, having parents that don't give a rat's ass is a recipe for you kid most likely not getting into an elite high school.

I hope TJHS is able to avoid any tinkering that will dilute the student body with less than elite students. Remember Equal opportunity doesn't mean equal outcome.

Hijinx

Why lower standards or academics to match the ones that cannot cut the mustard?
When you do that you just did away with the reason to have an elite school based on merit.
Might as well just do away with the elite program and let these smarter kids waste their time in a regular school.

Protesting is stupid. If they cannot cut it, they will only fall behind and hold up everyone else.

Diversity is BS when you are picking the top students. Either they are tops or they are affirmative action scholars.
Pick the best and go with it.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I wish the early settlers had picked there own ####ing cotton!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What makes Asians more likely to achieve academic excellence? (*** Bigot Alert ***) I suspect it's a combination of culture and intelligence. .

I suspect you are half right. It is ALL cultural. You take black kids and give them to Asian parents who will raise them as their own and you will have the same outcome. Their cultural expectations are so high, the demands, you take two people of comparable intellectual capacity and, obviously, the one who is raised with higher expectations is going to achieve more.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I suspect you are half right. It is ALL cultural. You take black kids and give them to Asian parents who will raise them as their own and you will have the same outcome. Their cultural expectations are so high, the demands, you take two people of comparable intellectual capacity and, obviously, the one who is raised with higher expectations is going to achieve more.

You sound a lot like Harry Reid. Trying out for the Nevada Senate seat are ya?

J.K. (I think)

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Studies have shown that 2 high intelligence parents will have a higher probability than the general population to produce a high IQ child. The study was done using poverty, IQ, education, and welfare as markers. It showed that lower intelligence and lower economic folks produced children at a higher rate. Think of the movie Idiocracy.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Studies have shown that 2 high intelligence parents will have a higher probability than the general population to produce a high IQ child. The study was done using poverty, IQ, education, and welfare as markers. It showed that lower intelligence and lower economic folks produced children at a higher rate. Think of the movie Idiocracy.

Agreed. However, when the expectations, the standards are so low, there is no impetus for improvement, no motivation for care in mate, no dumb kids doing better than they otherwise would thus no progress, just continued regression as that is the standard, the expectation.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You sound a lot like Harry Reid. Trying out for the Nevada Senate seat are ya?

J.K. (I think)

Even kidding how does that sound like Reid? I'd love to hear that guy say that a huge part of the problem for black folks is the soft racism of the left that tells people 'you can't'.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Even kidding how does that sound like Reid? I'd love to hear that guy say that a huge part of the problem for black folks is the soft racism of the left that tells people 'you can't'.

Recall that Harry took a lot of incoming when he joked about the 'smarter' oriental kids?

The Harry said:
At the same event, Reid also quipped, "One problem that I’ve had today is keeping my Wongs straight."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/harry-reid-apologizes-for-asian-jokes-2014-8#ixzz3YLekpxZ2

Hijinx

Despite the claim of the title of this thread, the Merit Based School program does not discriminate against minorities.

It discriminates against those who cannot meet it's standards. Exactly what it was intended to do.
It is for top achievers.

If those top achievers do not happen to be minorities. That is tough Titty.
Destroying the program to put underachievers in it is BS.