The American Dream

Hijinx

I just watched Fox news and an argument about the American Dream .

Some say it no longer exists.

I watched as Hillary and Warren spoke of income equality.

Why is it that Millionaires running for office are speaking of Income equality?
They aren't giving any of theirs up.
No American Dream?? Bill Clinton used car salesman's son. President, and richer than Midas.
Hillary Charging $300,000 dollars for a speech.
Juan Williams No American Dream alive???? You are living it a-hole.

WTF is wrong with these people? Rich people who want to tax those who have to give to those who don't .
AS LONG AS IT ISN'T THEIR RICH's.

Let Hillary pass out some of that Clinton Foundation money she got thru corruption and selling her SOS job.
She hasn't done so bad with the American Dream.

SamSpade

I always thought the American Dream, in a nutshell was, work hard, take a few risks, use your talents and did I say, work hard - and you can have whatever you want regardless of where you came from.

Hillary was BORN rich. She may have learned a thing or two from her dad, a self-made ambitious businessman, but she was never even middle class.
Certainly BILL Clinton is the American Dream - poor fatherless child with an abusive, alcoholic step-dad becomes President and a multi-millionaire.

I don't think the American Dream is dead - at least, not yet. I've seen far too many examples, ESPECIALLY among new immigrants who come here and make a place for themselves to believe otherwise.
What IS happening is far too much of our culture, government and society is encouraging a mentality that eschews ambition and favors handouts and gimmes.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
The American Dream is that any slug can chisel themselves into John D. Rockefeller. The American ideal has always been about striking it rich. Go big or go home. Go west, murder some indigenous people, take their land and build yourself a homestead. It has never been about "just making it" or attaining "middle class" status.

The land of milk and honey has turned to curdled milk and high fructose corn syrup. Your best bet nowadays to attain the American Dream is to become a politician and join the ruling class.

"There's a reason they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe in it." -George Carlin

Hijinx

One thing is certain, you will not attain the American Dream by sitting on your ass waiting for the Welfare check to come in.

tommyjo

The "American Dream" is about opportunity. It is about the pursuit of happiness.

Nowhere in the history of this country is it written that The American Dream is a guarantee. (If you don't understand that, please look up the definition of the word "dream")

Nowhere in the history of this country is it written that The American Dream is about achieving massive wealth. For the majority of this country's history, The American Dream, was simple: do better than your parents and raise your kids so that they will have the opportunity to do better than you. "Better" being defined by personal experience and personal goals.

If you believe that "The American Dream" can only be achieved by wealth, then you are sorely and sadly mistaken.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I don't think the American Dream initially was about money. It sure seems to have become that these days. If money was the cure to all evils, then wealthy people would be some of the happiest people around.

Vince

Don't have a lot of money, but enough to live and be happy. Got a job, family, friends and my health. I'm good to go.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The "American Dream" is about opportunity. It is about the pursuit of happiness.

Nowhere in the history of this country is it written that The American Dream is a guarantee. (If you don't understand that, please look up the definition of the word "dream")

Nowhere in the history of this country is it written that The American Dream is about achieving massive wealth. For the majority of this country's history, The American Dream, was simple: do better than your parents and raise your kids so that they will have the opportunity to do better than you. "Better" being defined by personal experience and personal goals.

If you believe that "The American Dream" can only be achieved by wealth, then you are sorely and sadly mistaken.

:clap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is it that Millionaires running for office are speaking of Income equality?
They aren't giving any of theirs up.
No American Dream?? Bill Clinton used car salesman's son. President, and richer than Midas.
Hillary Charging $300,000 dollars for a speech.
Juan Williams No American Dream alive???? You are living it a-hole.

:thewave:

I think this is all that needs to be said on the subject. Unless you just want to rant and then, by all means, go for it.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
The American Dream is that any slug can chisel themselves into John D. Rockefeller. The American ideal has always been about striking it rich. Go big or go home. Go west, murder some indigenous people, take their land and build yourself a homestead. It has never been about "just making it" or attaining "middle class" status.

The land of milk and honey has turned to curdled milk and high fructose corn syrup. Your best bet nowadays to attain the American Dream is to become a politician and join the ruling class.

"There's a reason they call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe in it." -George Carlin

I'll give you the bullet so you can put your sorry ass away....
In a way, I feel sorry for you....not!

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

Nice TJ, finally something I agree with you on :buddies:

digitallest

Obtaining large amounts of money does it for some people, building a solid business, writing a novel, whatever it is, the dreams are vivid to the people chasing after them. some people are willing to put forth extreme efforts, while others are not.

We are under different pressures today than depression era, or the industrial revolution, or the 1980s and 90s. The economy is not lively, but the case with chasing dreams remains ever the same, it is all about how much you want it. It is not about the obstacles in front of the dreamer, it is about the dedication within them. Some of us are so wed to a goal, that we will die still trying to acheive it. some will give up and say it can't be done.

there are a lot of people who can't shake off a setback, some who are so afraid of failure that they will never try, and some who are so determined to succeed that they will never quit. Personal favorite? The people who have resigned themselves to their desk job, and making their mortgage payment, and how they can not STAND to see someone chase a dream. They will forecast failure, and wait for their more entrepreneurial friend to "come to their senses" loving every setback way too much, and groaning aloud their disgust when you keep trying.

took me a while to identify how an otherwise good friend could be such a jerk. I concluded it is an often unspoken offense, "you think you are better than me." Having convinced themselves that they should not go after their own dreams, because it is foolish, or risky, or doomed to fail, to see someone chase their own dreams flies right in the face of their excuse not to try.

At the start of some of my more ambitious endeavors there were a handful of friends and family who could not wish me well. It bothered them to see me try, and it bothered me that they all but overtly wanted me to fail. I ended up spending a little time wishing I could win them over, and feeling hurt that they were so bent on discouraging me. Then I realized, that is their own obstacle, holding them back. I would be foolish to let it throw a block in my path, and I had no use for the hurt feelings, either, so I got over it, and kept going.

digitallest

:thewave:

I think this is all that needs to be said on the subject. Unless you just want to rant and then, by all means, go for it.
Thank uou. I did totally want to rant.

Some of the biggest dream killers are all around us, the ones who have embraced disbelief in dreams.