12-Year-Old Girl Battling Leukemia Kicked Out of School

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
12-Year-Old Girl Battling Leukemia Kicked Out of School Over ‘Attendance and Academic Concerns.’ But Then the Issue Hit the News…

Rose McGrath was diagnosed with leukemia in August 2012.

The 12-year-old Michigan girl battled the disease and has been in remission since last December, WWMT-TV reported.

But this week she had to endure another setback — from her school.

McGrath was kicked out of St. Joseph Middle School in Battle Creek over ’attendance and academic concerns,” according to a letter the school sent to her parents, which said their daughter had attended 32 of 134 school days this year.

if you daughter is that sick, pull her out of school ....
... but then I am sure CPS wouldn't be far behind, to take the child away ..... :sarcasm:

it seems a bit heartless, but does anyone follow the rules anymore ....

musiclady

If she's been in remission and still has missed that much school, there's something more going on. The state requires a certain amount of work. If she's too sick to regularly attend school, she should have a home/hospital teacher to meet the requirements. The school was probably attempting to get the family to do more to insure she meets the state requirements to pass her grade level. Often parents won't follow even the accommodations made and will refuse the home tutor that is paid by the state. I've been a home tutor in a similar situation. The parents constantly complained that they had to adjust their schedule for the 2 hours the child was tutored and would not show or claim the child was ill. Once I showed up at a house and the child was playing outside alone, no parents around and yet "the child was too ill to be tutored."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't understand. If she's been in remission for 3 years, why is she missing all that school? Plus normally the student would take a medical leave of absence and home school to keep up or catch up later.

I'm not a huge fan of Blaze or CotR because of this sort of rabble rousing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

maybe blame the Author: Dave Urbanski for publishing a repeat of a local news story:

http://wwmt.com/news/features/top-s...ollowing-cancer-battle-dismissal-119463.shtml

BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - A 12-year-old girl who was dismissed from school after concerns regarding academic or attendance standards due to her battle with leukemia has been invited to return to school.

Newschannel 3 reported Wednesday that Rose McGrath had been dismissed by St. Joseph Middle School, in Battle Creek.

Rose was diagnosed with leukemia in August of 2012.

Last week, the McGrath family got a letter which addressed concerns regarding Rose's attendance and academic performance, and stated that Rose had been dismissed from St. Joseph's.

The McGraths say despite all of the obstacles presented by her treatment, Rose was on track to pass her core classes.

The letter says the school tried to work with Rose and reduced her workload.

"These were extraordinary circumstances, but so many accommodations were made we felt eventually it became a point where we really had to help Rose, by being able to make sure that she was getting the assistance that she needed and to learn," said Father John Fleckenstein, with Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools.

maybe someone has an axe to grind against the private school :shrug:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I don't understand. If she's been in remission for 3 years, why is she missing all that school? Plus normally the student would take a medical leave of absence and home school to keep up or catch up later.

What is the target of this specific "rabble rousing?"

(1) The fact this is a Catholic school system?
(2) The fact the girl in remission has missed so many days of school she's been expelled?
(3) The fact the school system backed down after the social media exposure?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What is the target of this specific "rabble rousing?"

(1) The fact this is a Catholic school system?
(2) The fact the girl in remission has missed so many days of school she's been expelled?
(3) The fact the school system backed down after the social media exposure?

By the tone of the Blaze story, you're supposed to be outraged that this girl was expelled from school - big government picking on a poor little sick kid. So the target would be the anti-authority fight the power anarchist types who hate cops and see government boogymen around every corner, and who think Michelle Obama is trying to starve kids to death by suggesting they eat more fruits and vegetables.

Gurps, for example.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
By the tone of the Blaze story, you're supposed to be outraged that this girl was expelled from school - big government picking on a poor little sick kid. So the target would be the anti-authority fight the power anarchist types who hate cops and see government boogymen around every corner, and who think Michelle Obama is trying to starve kids to death by suggesting they eat more fruits and vegetables.

Gurps, for example.

I missed the part about Michelle Obama. Guess I'll have to re-read the original link and not the Blaze version.