Perc test question

doubtfull24

Has anyone ever have to have their property perc-ed several times before it passed? I have a piece of property, I want to build on it's just under an acre and it failed a perc test about 10 years ago. I know when they did the first test it was only in one area. All of the lots on the street have homes with traditional septic systems except some closer to the water have mound systems. I pray it percs but if it doesn't what steps should I take to see about getting a mound system. Can I request for them to test for a mound while they are doing the perc test? This piece of property means a lot to me as it was my great grandparents otherwise I would just buy a house elsewhere instead of trying to build.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I would talk with those that do that kind of work (septic systems and perc tests). As you don't specify the county the property is located in it is hard to recommend a company.

doubtfull24

Sorry Calvert County. We already submitted the perc application and hired a company to dig the holes for the perc test now we are just waiting for the test. My question is if it doesn't pass how can we see if we would qualify for a mound system? I know there are new mound systems that are smaller and better now. Thanks .

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I sort of thought that if the perc "failed" then the lot would not be suitable for building regardless of the septic system in use. Doesn't the perc test determine if the land is usable with a standard septic, a mound, or not suitable unless public sewer is available?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
In St. Mary's (ca. 2006) we had to pay for two perc tests, one for conventional and one for a mound. Even thought our conventional passed in 5 minutes we still had to do a mound test, which passed in 8 minutes, in order to get the ok from the Health Dept. This was waterfront property also.

The closer you can get your septic to the water, the better your chances of a perc. (At least this is the info I was given when I was siting my septic.)

doubtfull24

Thanks for the info. I found out Calvert doesn't have separate applications for the perc/mound system. I think they should that way you can have them both done at the same time. I would hate to fail the septic test then have to wait until the following year to retest for a mound system. Our property is down the street from water. The bad thing is we are in a critical area because of that. The lot right next to ours just replaced their septic this year since they are redoing the entire home. I would think that a matter of a few feet wouldn't make much of a difference in soil. The lot across the stress just had a home put on it a few years ago as well. That was also my great grandparents lot but my grandparent ended up selling. I wish I would have been able to purchase it back then.

Midnightrider

Thanks for the info. I found out Calvert doesn't have separate applications for the perc/mound system. I think they should that way you can have them both done at the same time. I would hate to fail the septic test then have to wait until the following year to retest for a mound system. Our property is down the street from water. The bad thing is we are in a critical area because of that. The lot right next to ours just replaced their septic this year since they are redoing the entire home. I would think that a matter of a few feet wouldn't make much of a difference in soil. The lot across the stress just had a home put on it a few years ago as well. That was also my great grandparents lot but my grandparent ended up selling. I wish I would have been able to purchase it back then.

Call the health department and speak to the inspector. He worked with me when I replaced my system. He walked the lot with me before the perks and we decided what might be possible. In the end I put in a traditional drain field right near the water.... plus the BRF paid for the low N septic

nutz

You should be asking the engineering company that was hired. They can answer your questions about alternative treatment systems. Each lot can be different and if yours failed 10 years ago, odds are it won't pass this time either.

Last edited:

doubtfull24

Well happy to say we passed the perc test in 2 locations and the screening for a mound if needed. Now we wait for final approval. We need to decide if we are going to go with a pre-fabricated home or be doing a stick build.