officially in over my head.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
2000 Discovery developed a vibration at speed, and a loud squeak at parking lot speed. Decided to service the drivetrain..

Drained and filled the differentials, drained, filled and changed the filter in the transmission ... ordered parts to rebuild the front drive shaft (known issue with LR).. THEN got to the transfer case.. before I drained it I looked for the fill plug, and in the process found the attached.. think I found my drivetrain culprit.. now what the hell do i do about it?

What really baffles me is no threads.. just a nice big smooth hole in my transfer case.

Attachments

• 20150426_182743.jpg
    20150426_182743.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 425

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What were the google results?

Inspection port for the Flywheel... ordered a rubber stopper that goes in there.. but not sure all the oil came from there..

Haven't drained the transfer case yet but I'm expecting ut to be almost.empty.. everything else was full when I drained it.

mamatutu

mama to two
Inspection port for the Flywheel... ordered a rubber stopper that goes in there.. but not sure all the oil came from there..

Haven't drained the transfer case yet but I'm expecting ut to be almost.empty.. everything else was full when I drained it.

We had a 1995 Discovery. It was red and I absolutely loved that vehicle. I miss him terribly. We called him granddaddy! Donated him to Purple Heart to years ago. :frown: I know very little about cars, but the only problem we had with him was an oil leak, and always had to check and fill. I do believe the transmission was going at the end because sometimes it wouldn't catch. We had him so long that the cloth was coming away from the roof and I had to hold it up with straight pins. It looked good, though, like bedazzled! :lol: I always felt so safe in that car because of the double metal body. If I had been in an accident, the other car would lose. I don't know if that is related to your problem, but just putting it out there. Other than that, it was a great vehicle.

Last edited:
Most of the transfer cases I have ever worked on had a drain plug and a fill, both you put a 1/2" extension in them to remove. I did a bit of Googling and it appears the Land Rover transfer cases have a fill plug with an o-ring - and some people bitched about them being plastic. I would bet this is what you are seeing, the fill plug that popped out.

Here is a link with a little bit of verbiage - http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/how-change-transfer-case-fluid-38888/

Now, since you have probably ran the fluid down it is unknown what damage has happened. If it was me, I would fill the transfer case up with diesel fuel, put in the fill plug and drive it in a straight line for about 100 yards in 4WD, no more than 15 MPH. Disengage 4WD, turn around and drain - this will hopefully flush out any crap which is in there... then fill with the recommended fluid (80/140 synthetic) and hopefully it will be OK.

You have nothing to lose at this point, if the transfer case is already toast then you will be replacing it anyways - but before you re-fill with fluid it will need to be flushed and this is the safest way I can think of - I have done it before on Borg-Warner cases and it gets the gunk out, but you do NOT want to drive it far... just enough to slosh the diesel fuel around on the gears to wash them off.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Most of the transfer cases I have ever worked on had a drain plug and a fill, both you put a 1/2" extension in them to remove. I did a bit of Googling and it appears the Land Rover transfer cases have a fill plug with an o-ring - and some people bitched about them being plastic. I would bet this is what you are seeing, the fill plug that popped out.

Here is a link with a little bit of verbiage - http://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/how-change-transfer-case-fluid-38888/

Now, since you have probably ran the fluid down it is unknown what damage has happened. If it was me, I would fill the transfer case up with diesel fuel, put in the fill plug and drive it in a straight line for about 100 yards in 4WD, no more than 15 MPH. Disengage 4WD, turn around and drain - this will hopefully flush out any crap which is in there... then fill with the recommended fluid (80/140 synthetic) and hopefully it will be OK.

You have nothing to lose at this point, if the transfer case is already toast then you will be replacing it anyways - but before you re-fill with fluid it will need to be flushed and this is the safest way I can think of - I have done it before on Borg-Warner cases and it gets the gunk out, but you do NOT want to drive it far... just enough to slosh the diesel fuel around on the gears to wash them off.

Rover forums, said basically the same thing other than the oil I see under the car is not from this port.. I have a leaking Transfer Case.. SO I'll clean it the best I can, then fill it.. then see if I can find the leak.. the oil is literally dripping off the bottom of the truck.

Rover forums, said basically the same thing other than the oil I see under the car is not from this port.. I have a leaking Transfer Case.. SO I'll clean it the best I can, then fill it.. then see if I can find the leak.. the oil is literally dripping off the bottom of the truck.

Is the open port the transfer case? If so, it may have slung oil around so it looks like it is dripping from somewhere else - but you're on the right track, clean it up, fill and see what happens.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well all the oil checked out.. it was old and smelly but none was missing..

Checked THE LR forums and they said front driveshaft.. got under the car inspected it.. and it checked out, no play no clunkimg.. but took it for a drive and still had the vibe and the squeak.. so tonight, dropped the Driveshaft and locked the CDL so I could drive without the front driveshaft..and. . DAMN if it doesn't ride like it's brand new..

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Well all the oil checked out.. it was old and smelly but none was missing..

Checked THE LR forums and they said front driveshaft.. got under the car inspected it.. and it checked out, no play no clunkimg.. but took it for a drive and still had the vibe and the squeak.. so tonight, dropped the Driveshaft and locked the CDL so I could drive without the front driveshaft..and. . DAMN if it doesn't ride like it's brand new..

Binding u-joint?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
From the thread title, I thought this was going to be another dating thread.