Freddie Gray/Charges

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Jist of it is "every one of you cops, under the bus".

Last edited:
This is live, but I suspect they'll write it up shortly.

I'm watching the Baltimore's State's Attorney speak right now. It's refreshing to see someone associated with this situation speak in a way that inspires confidence and demonstrates leadership - and, frankly, doesn't make you question how the hell they got into office. Governor Hogan did the same, but some of the others - I'm thinking first and foremost about the mayor of Baltimore - left a lot to be desired.

EDIT: To reflect that Ms. Mosby is State's Attorney for Baltimore rather than Maryland.

Last edited:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
i'm watching the maryland state's attorney speak right now. It's refreshing to see someone associated with this situation speak in a way that inspires confidence and demonstrates leadership - and, frankly, doesn't make you question how the hell they got into office. Governor hogan did the same, but some of the others - i'm thinking first and foremost about the mayor of baltimore - left a lot to be desired.

like!!!

Wife and I looked at each other and were thinking the same thing.

She's what the city needs.

I'd add that I'm glad to see the false imprisonment charges. I've wondered from the beginning why Mr. Gray was arrested to begin with, no one that I've heard has offered any reason (e.g. probable cause that a particular crime had been committed) other than he ran away when he saw police. I was wondering if there was an actual and legal reason why they chased him, it seems there was not.

EDIT: I had heard that he was arrested for possessing a knife. The State's Attorney has apparently indicated that wasn't illegal. But more to my point, if there wasn't sufficient legal cause to detain him to begin with, finding that knife (in a search incident to arrest I guess) wouldn't matter anyway.

Last edited:

PJay

I'm watching the Maryland State's Attorney speak right now. It's refreshing to see someone associated with this situation speak in a way that inspires confidence and demonstrates leadership - and, frankly, doesn't make you question how the hell they got into office.

Disagree. She was hard to listen to. I do not trust her..she has an axe to grind towards officers because she blames them for the loss of a family member.

She also has ties with the Gray family...more will come out about this..

Disagree. She was hard to listen to. I do not trust her..she has an axe to grind towards officers because she blames them for the loss of a family member.

Axes and ties aside, if the evidence supports the charges than this is due process.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would like to see the entire Baltimore Police force retire, tomorrow. Let the city go to hell!

For real. You'd have to be pretty hard up for a job to want to be a B'more cop, especially after this mess.

These 6 cops who will be charged in the Gray death, if indeed they contributed to his death I think we can say they are not the best and brightest, just more freaking ####heads who shouldn't be in a position of authority.

And with the Mayor - the MAYOR! - condoning and encouraging rioters, looters, and police assaults, no person worth a hill of chit would want to do that job.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
These 6 cops who will be charged in the Gray death, if indeed they contributed to his death I think we can say they are not the best and brightest, just more freaking ####heads who shouldn't be in a position of authority.

But some of the background I've been reading lately suggests strongly that that sort of police behavior might be encouraged, condoned and endemic....almost "official policy" in Baltimore's police department. Not meaning that as any sort of excuse for what might have happened here...just pointing out that it could be the norm rather than the exception...except that this time the victim died.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
One police officer, identified as Caesar Goodson, 45, was charged with second-degree murder, while others were charged with crimes including manslaughter and assault.

It sounds like the driver of the paddy wagon was charged with 2nd degree homicide. One of the thoughts was if he went back into that paddy wagon head first. :eyebrow:

These officers are pretty screwed. It doesn't sound like they had a basis for the arrest to begin with. Larry's earlier posting of this blog/article gives a very good description of what has been going on. https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Once the warrants are served, they should at the very least release the statement of charges and we should be able to view them sometime soon.

Chris0nllyn

I would like to see the entire Baltimore Police force retire, tomorrow. Let the city go to hell!

Why?

Charges do not equal convictions.

During cases of police brutality where they get off without convictions, we often hear "the justice system worked" or "justice was served, it's the way the system works". That goes both ways. The entire force didn't arrest this guy and make up things as they went.

I often bring up third party, neutral attorneys or investigators that aren't tied to local sheriffs or mayors or any other political tie. I'm told this is a stupid idea when those SAs and prosecutors trump up charges on officers only to have them walk. But in this case, the argument is that they have political ties to the mayor and have a personal interest in charging and convicting the officer.

Chris0nllyn

But some of the background I've been reading lately suggests strongly that that sort of police behavior might be encouraged, condoned and endemic....almost "official policy" in Baltimore's police department. Not meaning that as any sort of excuse for what might have happened here...just pointing out that it could be the norm rather than the exception...except that this time the victim died.

This isn't a new thing.

Christine Abbott and Anthony Anderson were both victims of a nickel ride.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/...ast-baltimore-man-who-died-in-police-custody/

http://www.scribd.com/doc/263006734/Release-on-Christine-Abbott-lawsuit

It just happens when police have no reason to change tactics and everything calms down later. They don't pay out the millions in settlements through their pension or personal liability. Taxpayers cover their ass.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I hope to see the Mayor charged with something. In my eyes, and in her capacity as an official, she encouraged and condoned violence in the streets of Baltimore.

PJay

I hope to see the Mayor charged with something. In my eyes, and in her capacity as an official, she encouraged and condoned violence in the streets of Baltimore.

This^

And how about the100 officers wounded?

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

And this comment from her sort of eludes to this:

"I have heard your call for no justice, no peace. Your peace is sincerely needed," Mosby said.

She shouldn't be responding to 'no justice, no peace' from people that don't have any shred of facts. She should answering to the facts.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I agree that she was irresponsible, but I hope you're not holding your breath because that's not going to happen. In fact, she will be re-elected based on this - you watch and see. Remember who her constituency is.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
They threw the book at the cops. Anything they could possibly think of.There is no way they will be tried on anywhere near all those charges. Will the rabble allow the process to carry out, or demand lynching right now?

Has anybody seen pictures of the cops yet, i.e., racial breakdown? Should be interesting.