Pax. River question - possible security issue?

Restless

My hubby works on-base. Yesterday he was walking to his car when a man pulled up next to him and put his car window down. The man spoke with an accent, and asked how to get to a certain building. My husband gave him directions, and then out of curiosity and a little suspicious, asked the man where he was from. The man said he spoke "Spanish"' then said thank you, and then said a phrase my husband didn't know, and pulled off rather quickly. Hubby went inside and asked one of his Hispanic friends what the phrase meant. They had never heard of it before. Another guy overheard the conversation and said that the man said "happy day" in Arabic. He knew this because he spend several tours of duty in Afghanistan.

My question is do we have very many Arabs on base perhaps training here? I know a few years ago we had several pilots in training here from Saudia Arabia, I believe. I remember seeing one of the wives in the commissary in a full burka that hid even her eyes. My daughter saw her and was frightened. I felt sorry for her and said hello and smiled.

We have friends who were stationed at Fort Dix who said that there were many Arabs serving in the army there. I don't quite understand how they can serve in our military if they are not citizens. Am I totally out of touch with how things work now? It is a bit disconcerting to know they are here in our military. BTW, in case you think I am being racist, our daughter dated a wonderful guy from Iran for over a year. We loved him, but they decided to break up because he was relocating to California and she had to stay here to finish school.

Just wondering what to think.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Always report something you question that is suspicious. Obviously you question what happened and it won't hurt the questionable person if it is not viable. We always need to help the FBI considering what just happened in Garland, TX.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Please tell us that your husband was intelligent enough to call base security?

Bingo. Exactly as taught in an almost identical scenario in the Terrorist Awareness Level 1 training brief that I thought everyone has to retake every year.

Restless

Yes, this was on base at VX-23. My husband reported it to the big boss but he said there really wasn't much he could do about it. He also let base security know. They thanked him but didn't seem to be too concerned.

Restless

I worry that we have all gotten too lax about all this. I reported the lady in the commissary in the burka to the FBI, and felt like they were laughing at me. I explained that down here seeing someone in a burka anywhere is unheard of. That was what made me especially concerned. We try to be good citizens and be vigilant.

Honda

In WWI many foreign officers served with the US forces against our enemies. My Grandfather was one of them as a Polish immigrant having escaped the Russians. He was a decorated hero and only after he fought and was wounded did he gain the honor of being a US citizen. He was honored to do it and so honored to be a part of this great nation. Both of his sons served in the US forces following his example in the defense of freedom. Freedom is a global gift all people should have the chance to support, enjoy, and fight for if possible. You did the absolute right thing to report your suspicion but you should also study your history. Don't take your freedom for granted and read all the things that are available to us in the great country of freedom. Knowledge is our greatest defense.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
In WWI many foreign officers served with the US forces against our enemies. My Grandfather was one of them as a Polish immigrant having escaped the Russians. He was a decorated hero and only after he fought and was wounded did he gain the honor of being a US citizen. He was honored to do it and so honored to be a part of this great nation. Both of his sons served in the US forces following his example in the defense of freedom. Freedom is a global gift all people should have the chance to support, enjoy, and fight for if possible. You did the absolute right thing to report your suspicion but you should also study your history. Don't take your freedom for granted and read all the things that are available to us in the great country of freedom. Knowledge is our greatest defense.
:yay:

Restless

In your first post you said you felt sorry for her and smiled and in this post you said you reported her to the FBI. I'm curious - what did she do that made you report her?

I did feel sorry for her in the sense that i cannot imagine being required to where a full burka. Women are second class citizens in many of the Arab countries. That makes me sad. I reported seeing her because it was highly unusual to see that down here in the boonies in a navy commissary! We are supposed to report anything unusual and that was very, very unusual.

littlelady

God bless the USA
There have been suicide bombings because of men/women in burkas. Glad to know you reported it. It doesn't make you/I against Islam. It is because we have to be on the alert because of Islam. If more peaceful Islamists would condemn jihadists, we wouldn't have to be on alert. But, is pretty much crickets on the Muslim end of things. Kind of scary.

edinsomd

A large part of Pax River involves Foreign Military Sales, or FMS. For example, Turkey is one of the countries buying the F-35, and I work every day with an Australian Project officer on the P-8 program. Being told to have a nice day in Arabic is no cause to go to General Quarters. Now, if he said, "Die, infidel dog!" I might be a bit concerned....

But that's just me.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You and mamatutu have a lot in common. She also thought a lot of things were kind of scary.

Yes, our world is very scary right now for many reasons. It is always good to be vigilant. Whoever mamatutu is.??? It seems some in other discussions are thinking I am her too. Not the case. Being a little scared is better than being complacent.

Midnightrider

I worry that we have all gotten too lax about all this. I reported the lady in the commissary in the burka to the FBI, and felt like they were laughing at me. I explained that down here seeing someone in a burka anywhere is unheard of. That was what made me especially concerned. We try to be good citizens and be vigilant.
Gee, I wonder why they would laugh at you :rolleyes:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gee, I wonder why they would laugh at you :rolleyes:

Indeed. Especially considering the emphasis placed in the Anti-Terror training courses on reporting literally anything you think is unusual and letting the security pros sort it out. But you've never taken that course..and are spitballing again...right TOG?

PeoplesElbow

Indeed. Especially considering the emphasis placed in the Anti-Terror training courses on reporting literally anything you think is unusual and letting the security pros sort it out. But you've never taken that course..and are spitballing again...right TOG?

You know the annual anti terrorism training tells you to get a midsize sedan for a rental car to be inconspicuous I tried to use that as a justification on travel for not having a clown car and it was turned down.

Midnightrider

Hey look, more things you are wrong about.

That training never indicted a woman doing her shopping or observing her religion is unusual, but the pros did sort it out. They laughed at her :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt

You mean the training that tells you not to discuss security issues or the responses to possible threats on social media? Since it might give the bad guys insight on how to sneak in?

SG_Player1974

You know the annual anti terrorism training tells you to get a midsize sedan for a rental car to be inconspicuous I tried to use that as a justification on travel for not having a clown car and it was turned down.

Putting it in a training video so you can have something to point to when an incident happens.... to CYOA is one thing.

Having to actually PAY FOR IT is another.

To be expected.... do as I say, not as I do! :yay: