Thread: NY State offers Online Boating Certification

NY State offers Online Boating Certification

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/2015/0...pleted-online/

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's far more convenient, better fits someone's schedule, seems to be the way life is going.

On the other hand, I can see rampant cheating, getting thru the course without really knowing or understanding the rules and regs, kind of just going thru the motions to be compliant.

In a real classroom, you actually (well, are supposed to...) listen to the instructor, there's open discussions, info gleaned from others in the class, tests and instructor feedback, something might actually stick in your head.

There's the argument that you can learn online from most major learning institutions. Yeah, I get that. BUT, failure to learn the material may just lead to a bad job or poor choices in life. Failure to learn boating rules and regs can put lives in danger. I've boated in the NY bays and Long Island Sound. Some of the worst boaters I have ever seen. Horrible and dangerous. If anyone needs to learn the rules properly, it's them.

Care to put in your 2 cents?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

If you read the fine print, this only authorizes those completing the course to operate virtual boats or those in on line video games.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Ah. You're right. Missed that....

"It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.