Accident in CRE

basshawg95

On Saturday Nite, May 9, at about 2:30AM, a car ran off the road (Catalina Dr. )and into my house. It was driven by a drunk and did extensive damage to my house.
This is the 2nd time someone has driven into my home, along with my truck being hit and so many other drivers driving off the road that I can't count.
I have photos.
I met with the General Manager and Roads Supervisor about the possibility of bringing in a few boulders and strategically placing them alongside the road. It would be a minimal cost to provide a lot of safety. School kids wait on the corner for the bus.....
I was told, by the General Manager and Roads Supervisor that POACRE is not responsible for cars running off the road, and any safety improvements would have to be paid for by me.

I have a few questions for the Forumites.......
!. Do I have any legal recourse in this matter?
2. What effect could this have on my property value? I know it isn't worth much in CRE anyway.
3. Are there any other CRE residents that have had similar experiences?

Now, I know that I'm going to get all kinds of snide comments about living in CRE, and believe me, I would move TOMORROW if I could. But, unfortunately I am stuck for a while. Anyway, I'm looking for some good advice and letting everyone know what kind of people are running CRE. Its all about the money. God Forbid they do something about SAFETY!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Attachments

• 11059859_896941283662377_7320451886099754835_n.jpg
    11059859_896941283662377_7320451886099754835_n.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 338

MMDad

Lem Putt
If you want modifications to your property then it's your responsibility. The boulders would do nothing to prevent crashes, they would just stop damage to your property. Sounds like the drivers are the problem, not the road.

Is there anything that could be done to the road to prevent the crashes? That would be far more likely to get action since it would be for the good of the community and not just for you.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Now that I've seen the picture I know where this is. The only real answer is moving. Sorry, but if you buy a home that close to the road on a sharp bend where people tend to speed, you should have realized this would be a risk.

Chris0nllyn

Since the roads are private, do they have the same setbacks that state roads have?

Typically, there's a few feet of right-of-way along the road. If that's the case, they should be able to do so in their right of way.

That being said, if they wanted to become a special tax district in order to raise almost $6 million they need to fix the roads, I doubt they'll fork out the money to stick boulders or a guardrail on your corner.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Since the roads are private, do they have the same setbacks that state roads have?

Typically, there's a few feet of right-of-way along the road. If that's the case, they should be able to do so in their right of way.

That being said, if they wanted to become a special tax district in order to raise almost $6 million they need to fix the roads, I doubt they'll fork out the money to stick boulders or a guardrail on your corner.

They could do something, and they would do something, if it actually made the roads safer. Giving someone something else to crash into does not make it safer. And a guard rail would not be appropriate there since there is no drop off and it is a low speed road.

We can't go redesigning the roads to protect us from every possible way a drunk driver can do something stupid.

Chris0nllyn

They could do something, and they would do something, if it actually made the roads safer. Giving someone something else to crash into does not make it safer. And a guard rail would not be appropriate there since there is no drop off and it is a low speed road.

We can't go redesigning the roads to protect us from every possible way a drunk driver can do something stupid.

There's arguable a bunch of things they do to "make roads safer" that actually don't.

In this case, it's not only the driver on the road, but also protecting the homeowner from someone plowing into heir living room.

I don't believe anyone suggested "redesigning" the road. Simply adding a barrier. That happens all the time.

HorseQueen

On Saturday Nite, May 9, at about 2:30AM, a car ran off the road (Catalina Dr. )and into my house. It was driven by a drunk and did extensive damage to my house.
This is the 2nd time someone has driven into my home, along with my truck being hit and so many other drivers driving off the road that I can't count.
I have photos.
I met with the General Manager and Roads Supervisor about the possibility of bringing in a few boulders and strategically placing them alongside the road. It would be a minimal cost to provide a lot of safety. School kids wait on the corner for the bus.....
I was told, by the General Manager and Roads Supervisor that POACRE is not responsible for cars running off the road, and any safety improvements would have to be paid for by me.

I have a few questions for the Forumites.......
!. Do I have any legal recourse in this matter?
2. What effect could this have on my property value? I know it isn't worth much in CRE anyway.
3. Are there any other CRE residents that have had similar experiences?

Now, I know that I'm going to get all kinds of snide comments about living in CRE, and believe me, I would move TOMORROW if I could. But, unfortunately I am stuck for a while. Anyway, I'm looking for some good advice and letting everyone know what kind of people are running CRE. Its all about the money. God Forbid they do something about SAFETY!

I moved to CRE about 6 months ago. There's a house (post office entrance.. turn left, by one of the curves) that has rocks in the yard. I was told not long ago by their neighbour that the rocks were there because of a similar occurrence. Happened twice to them, too. Maybe talk to them for advice?

MMDad

Lem Putt
There's arguable a bunch of things they do to "make roads safer" that actually don't.

In this case, it's not only the driver on the road, but also protecting the homeowner from someone plowing into heir living room.

I don't believe anyone suggested "redesigning" the road. Simply adding a barrier. That happens all the time.

But why should a barrier be added on a road that does not meet normal criteria for a barrier? It's low speed and there is not a drop off. If we start putting up barriers everywhere that a drunk might hit something, we'll need barriers on both sides of every lane on every road. The problem here is not the road, it's the drivers.

The speed limit there is 25. There is no way someone who is not speeding and/or drunk could have any trouble navigating that turn safely. The people are the problem, not the road.

And really, the house sitting that close to the road with no natural barrier is a secondary part of the problem. If they want to protect the house that's their responsibility, not the community.

Chris0nllyn

But why should a barrier be added on a road that does not meet normal criteria for a barrier? It's low speed and there is not a drop off. If we start putting up barriers everywhere that a drunk might hit something, we'll need barriers on both sides of every lane on every road. The problem here is not the road, it's the drivers.

The speed limit there is 25. There is no way someone who is not speeding and/or drunk could have any trouble navigating that turn safely. The people are the problem, not the road.

And really, the house sitting that close to the road with no natural barrier is a secondary part of the problem. If they want to protect the house that's their responsibility, not the community.

We're not talking about "putting up barriers everywhere that a drunk might hit something". This is a specific scenario where there's been multiple instances of people crashing there, why shouldn't there at least be a discussion?

There's intersections that didn't meet the criteria for a light, until there were accidents. Then a light got put up. Things change.

I agree people are the problem, but those problem people could hurt someone, and if something can be done for relatively cheap and quick, what's the big deal? They own their own roads and maintain them.

DynaDink

I too live there, and I agree, it's all about the $$$. As was evidenced by the "one time fee" of $25 to cover the previous administration's book cooking. The bastards responsible should have been charged and jailed. Yes, I know who they are. As far as safety goes, history shows that the only way to get something done is to publically announce it via newspaper or some type of public forum. Very unfortunate, I know.

MMDad

Lem Putt
We're not talking about "putting up barriers everywhere that a drunk might hit something". This is a specific scenario where there's been multiple instances of people crashing there, why shouldn't there at least be a discussion?

There was a discussion. They said no. The reason why it matters in the bigger picture is that if they put up a guard rail to protect this house, they have no basis for denying the next guy who wants the community to fix a problem with the lot he bought.

The house has been next to the road for a long time. Anyone who buys a lot on the main drag with the house that close to the road would have to be blind not to recognize the risk. Why should the community fork over the $$$ to fix what this guy bought?

bilbur

My dad had a problem with people using his driveway to back into to get turned around. Doesn't sound like a problem except some of the bigger vehicles would miss his driveway and leave ditches in his yard. His solution was to put up a bunch of metal poles to at least inflict some damage on the cars and trucks that miss the driveway. Since the poles were put up one got pushed over and one got destroyed but there was paint on the one that was pushed over and broken plastic by the one that was destroyed so they served there purpose. You could go with this solution, it wont stop people from running into your yard but you could find something to inflict the most damage possible.

basshawg95

You must work for CRE......all I suggested was a couple of boulders. is that such a problem? Not only is it to protect my house, but as I said, there are schoolchildren that wait on the corner. I felt it would have been an easy, cheap remedy. Now its turned into a war................

MMDad

Lem Putt
You must work for CRE......all I suggested was a couple of boulders. is that such a problem? Not only is it to protect my house, but as I said, there are schoolchildren that wait on the corner. I felt it would have been an easy, cheap remedy. Now its turned into a war................

If it's cheap, buy them. After all, it's to protect your house.

If CRE puts them in and somebody gets dead on one, they will be liable.

Smith

I met with the General Manager and Roads Supervisor about the possibility of bringing in a few boulders and strategically placing them alongside the road. It would be a minimal cost to provide a lot of safety.

Since the you stated the cost would be minimal, why not get your own boulders for your front yard?

basshawg95

I'm not in a financial situation that would enable me to buy a few boulders right now, and besides, I really don't think I should have to pay for them. Anyway, it's on a public forum.....God Forbid a child gets hit.