Charles County Police - How to find update?

Hannibal

I dealt with a bit of an odd situation yesterday that quite frankly, left me a little bit pissed off and I am looking for ways to determine is anything came about from it.

On the way home yesterday, i was travelling the back roads on St. Peter's Church Road (between Cederville State Park and Poplar Hill Road). Just as I was approaching the State Park, there was a silver sedan stopped at the stop sign. I stopped behind the vehicle and assumed she was waiting on traffic that I couldn't see. After a few seconds (more than enough time to out of sight traffic to be in the view), I gave a "friendly" honk fiquring she was distracted (phone, radio, etc). She gunned it and crossed onto St. Peter's Churh Road. I continued on behind her and watched as she consistantly crossed the double yellow line. She'd sway into the lane and then correct herself. Again, I am assuming she's fooling with her phone.

Well, she continues to do this as traffic approaches. She, at one point, is fully over the double line. One time was so severe that an oncoming pickup truck had to stop and go off onto the shoulder. Ultimately, the sedan got in her lane and didn't get near the pickup but it was a bit tense. She does this a couple times affecting oncoming traffic and even overcorrects to where two tires are on the dirt shoulder on the right. She is brake checking off and on and generally driving extremely erratically.

Having never done this before, I called the non-emergency number and tell the disptacher what is going on. I convey that this driver is going to run into something and has nearly done so already. I state I have no idea if the driver is intoxicated, old, distracted, etc. I don't care. I tell them exactly where I am in real time and state depending on where she turns (at the end of St. Peter's Church Road), she will be on a highway. We hit the stop sign in front of St. Peter's Church and hang a right. I ask the dispatcher if I should follow and she says not to. However, I was running early so I figured I'd see how this plays out.

We hit the stoplight at Mattowman Beantown Road (and Poplar Hill) and she sits through one full stop light. I tell this to the dispatcher. I prove make/model and a license plate as I am directly behind this lady.

I then update her as we finally start to move in order to tell her where we're heading. We hit the light at Rt 5 and hang a right. I tell her we're heading down Rt 5 towards Thomas Stone High school. I point out that we are approching their local office (by Vivian Adams Dr).

Keep in mind, nearly 5 minutes have elapsed since I called them and I haven't seen anyone.

They tell me they have issued a lookout and we end the call. At this point, I am pretty convinced there will be a cop waiting at the station waiting to pull out. Nope. We continue to drive past it and down to the intersection with Rt. 301. Light changes and we go straight.

On the other side of 301, she appears to be turning into the Market Place shopping center (Red Robin). Nope. She was faking and swerves back to the right hard ... .enough to spook the car in the lane next to her. We manage to make the turn at the Wawa to hit that cut through road to the mall (Western Pkwy?). She's all over the place again so I redial the police.

I explain I called them initially nearly 10 minutes ago and nothing. Being that we ended the call when I was in front of Thomas Stone, I tell them where we are. At this time we're approaching a red light to which she slams on the brakes to stop at (literally locks them up and smokes the tires). I pass this along to the operator and again stress that someone needs to come check this out as she's going to nail someone.

Perhaps the driver realized they were "off" .... so she decided to drive 20 mph between the ligth and mall circle. I stay on the phone as we enter the circle and ultimately end up infront of Food Court. Being that she is (assuming here) parking, I give my final location and they say they will handle it.

At this point, I stop following her and pull off far away from the building. I watch her take 3 attempts (adjustments) to get into her parking spot. Never got a chance to catch a glimpse of this person (even she even got out).

I stayed there for a good 5 minutes to see if the police even arrived. Nope.

I made my first call at 1250pm while on St. Peters Church Road. I made my second call at 1259pm (and was on the phone for 4 minutes). In addition to this, I hung out at the parking lot for another 5 minutes AT LEAST. And to be quite honest, given her level of impairement, I am a bit ticked off that in the course of 20 minutes and in passing through "downtown" Waldorf (including right past their station) to a VERY populated place in the Mall, not only did I not see a marked police car, they did not grab this chick.

I truely hope, if they didn't get her, that in her time in the Mall, she managed to correct herself and had a better driving expeirence heading home.

But to the point, is there a place to see about arrests yesterday to see if anytihng was done? I looked on the site but it looks pretty basic and not updated through yesterday.

Last edited:

Hank

my war
Once when I called the non-emergency line for someone driving over the lines into oncoming traffic, the dispatcher told me to call 911 next time if there was a next time.

Freefaller

I dealt with a bit of an odd situation yesterday that quite frankly, left me a little bit pissed off and I am looking for ways to determine is anything came about from it.

On the way home yesterday, i was travelling the back roads on St. Peter's Church Road (between Cederville State Park and Poplar Hill Road). Just as I was approaching the State Park, there was a silver sedan stopped at the stop sign. I stopped behind the vehicle and assumed she was waiting on traffic that I couldn't see. After a few seconds (more than enough time to out of sight traffic to be in the view), I gave a "friendly" honk fiquring she was distracted (phone, radio, etc). She gunned it and crossed onto St. Peter's Churh Road. I continued on behind her and watched as she consistantly crossed the double yellow line. She'd sway into the lane and then correct herself. Again, I am assuming she's fooling with her phone.

Well, she continues to do this as traffic approaches. She, at one point, is fully over the double line. One time was so severe that an oncoming pickup truck had to stop and go off onto the shoulder. Ultimately, the sedan got in her lane and didn't get near the pickup but it was a bit tense. She does this a couple times affecting oncoming traffic and even overcorrects to where two tires are on the dirt shoulder on the right. She is brake checking off and on and generally driving extremely erratically.

Having never done this before, I called the non-emergency number and tell the disptacher what is going on. I convey that this driver is going to run into something and has nearly done so already. I state I have no idea if the driver is intoxicated, old, distracted, etc. I don't care. I tell them exactly where I am in real time and state depending on where she turns (at the end of St. Peter's Church Road), she will be on a highway. We hit the stop sign in front of St. Peter's Church and hang a right. I ask the dispatcher if I should follow and she says not to. However, I was running early so I figured I'd see how this plays out.

We hit the stoplight at Mattowman Beantown Road (and Poplar Hill) and she sits through one full stop light. I tell this to the dispatcher. I prove make/model and a license plate as I am directly behind this lady.

I then update her as we finally start to move in order to tell her where we're heading. We hit the light at Rt 5 and hang a right. I tell her we're heading down Rt 5 towards Thomas Stone High school. I point out that we are approching their local office (by Vivian Adams Dr).

Keep in mind, nearly 5 minutes have elapsed since I called them and I haven't seen anyone.

They tell me they have issued a lookout and we end the call. At this point, I am pretty convinced there will be a cop waiting at the station waiting to pull out. Nope. We continue to drive past it and down to the intersection with Rt. 301. Light changes and we go straight.

On the other side of 301, she appears to be turning into the Market Place shopping center (Red Robin). Nope. She was faking and swerves back to the right hard ... .enough to spook the car in the lane next to her. We manage to make the turn at the Wawa to hit that cut through road to the mall (Western Pkwy?). She's all over the place again so I redial the police.

I explain I called them initially nearly 10 minutes ago and nothing. Being that we ended the call when I was in front of Thomas Stone, I tell them where we are. At this time we're approaching a red light to which she slams on the brakes to stop at (literally locks them up and smokes the tires). I pass this along to the operator and again stress that someone needs to come check this out as she's going to nail someone.

Perhaps the driver realized they were "off" .... so she decided to drive 20 mph between the ligth and mall circle. I stay on the phone as we enter the circle and ultimately end up infront of Food Court. Being that she is (assuming here) parking, I give my final location and they say they will handle it.

At this point, I stop following her and pull off far away from the building. I watch her take 3 attempts (adjustments) to get into her parking spot. Never got a chance to catch a glimpse of this person (even she even got out).

I stayed there for a good 5 minutes to see if the police even arrived. Nope.

I made my first call at 1250pm while on St. Peters Church Road. I made my second call at 1259pm (and was on the phone for 4 minutes). In addition to this, I hung out at the parking lot for another 5 minutes AT LEAST. And to be quite honest, given her level of impairement, I am a bit ticked off that in the course of 20 minutes and in passing through "downtown" Waldorf (including right past their station) to a VERY populated place in the Mall, not only did I not see a marked police car, they did not grab this chick.

I truely hope, if they didn't get her, that in her time in the Mall, she managed to correct herself and had a better driving expeirence heading home.

But to the point, is there a place to see about arrests yesterday to see if anytihng was done? I looked on the site but it looks pretty basic and not updated through yesterday.

While I can't answer your direct question, what I can tell you is that in Maryland, police can not make an arrest for a misdemeanor crime unless they personally observe the crime. No matter how may violations you may have seen (sounds like alot!) those driving infractions are misdemeanors. Once she made it to the mall and out of her vehicle, she was pretty much in the clear (legally, anyway). That's the law, whether we like it or not!

Hannibal

While I can't answer your direct question, what I can tell you is that in Maryland, police can not make an arrest for a misdemeanor crime unless they personally observe the crime. No matter how may violations you may have seen (sounds like alot!) those driving infractions are misdemeanors. Once she made it to the mall and out of her vehicle, she was pretty much in the clear (legally, anyway). That's the law, whether we like it or not!

I completely understand. I was simply giving play by play so they could appreciate the manner in which she was driving. I was more shocked that in 15 minutes of driving across a very centralized area, not only could they not get somewhere there, I didn't see even one car. Honestly, there isn't a place in Waldorf that is 15 minutes away from the mall.