Moving to SoMD soon

snake

Hi,

Moving to southern Maryland soon (D.C. area job), to probably the northern end of St. Mary's County. I have spent some time here and absolutely love how nice it is the further from D.C. you get. I am definitely not from this area (or state (or coast)) and wanted to say hi in order to learn more about the area and the people. I have hung out on the forums a little as part of researching things to do, things people care about, and how to get involved in some way. So I am curious about general opinions on life here. Sure, there's lots in the forums I can dig through, which I have been, but I also thought it'd be fun to get a convo going about housing, schools, crime, food, leisure, attitude (better than D.C. for sure), commuting, buggy's on the road, different towns and what they offer, what's growing, what's dying, and whatever else people want to discuss for a newbie. Excited to be joining the SoMD community and I'll be poking around the forums.

KDENISE977

Hi,

Moving to southern Maryland soon (D.C. area job), to probably the northern end of St. Mary's County. I have spent some time here and absolutely love how nice it is the further from D.C. you get. I am definitely not from this area (or state (or coast)) and wanted to say hi in order to learn more about the area and the people. I have hung out on the forums a little as part of researching things to do, things people care about, and how to get involved in some way. So I am curious about general opinions on life here. Sure, there's lots in the forums I can dig through, which I have been, but I also thought it'd be fun to get a convo going about housing, schools, crime, food, leisure, attitude (better than D.C. for sure), commuting, buggy's on the road, different towns and what they offer, what's growing, what's dying, and whatever else people want to discuss for a newbie. Excited to be joining the SoMD community and I'll be poking around the forums.

:howdy: Welcome !!! I think like anywhere else, there are good things and bad things. I moved here about 8 years ago, in general I like it.

calvcopf

Welcome! Some parts of St.Mary's is very busy with traffic, etc, while other parts of the county is extremely rural. So there are many living options and varying opinions of each. I like Calvert County, parts of southern Anne Arundel Co and St. Mary's too!

calvcopf

Oh, and find someone local who will teach you the right way to pick blue crabs. There are secrets to the skill.

Hi,

Do you have kids?

Chris0nllyn

Calvert County is better.

:lol:

Seriously though, it's nice down here, but no way would I want to drive over the bridge or through Waldorf everyday to go to work if I could help it.

There's plenty of great places to eat, see, etc. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

bilbur

Hi,

As a local, I can't imagine living any ware else. To be perfectly honest I have not traveled to too many places and because of the work I do most of the places I do go are in the middle of the desert so I don't have much in the way of comparisons. It might be useful to know if you or the family members moving with you have any hobbies and the people of the forum can make recommendations. There are leagues for most of the major sports (baseball, softball, basketball, bowling, football, soccer, roller hockey, volleyball, etc...) there is charter fishing, walking and biking trails, kayaking and boat rentals, golf, hunting, etc... The local crabs and rockfish is excellent along with other local food such as country sausage and stuffed ham. There are historical sites to explore and festivals throughout the year in Leonardtown and Lusby. I have heard some people from the city complain that there is never anything to do and I say that they are not looking hard enough. Welcome to the area, I hope you find it an enjoyable experience.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Welcome!

Everything is relative so how you like it here will depend a lot on where you're coming from and whether it will be a good different or a bad different. Calvert and St. Mary's are fairly rural, Charles county is more urban (shopping and restaurants, but also the crime). If you need to be right on top of a Nordstrom and want a Starbucks on every corner, you're not going to like it here; but if you enjoy the outdoors - biking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, etc - you're in luck!

People complain about traffic - clearly they've never lived in a city because traffic in Baltimore, DC, Austin, Chicago, and every other city I've ever driven in is insane. 235 and the bridge are a piece of cake compared to other areas with a rush hour.

There's a house for sale in my neighborhood. Good schools. 4 miles to the DC commuter bus lots. Quiet neighborhood.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
There's a house for sale in my neighborhood. Good schools. 4 miles to the DC commuter bus lots. Quiet neighborhood.

If I had to live north county, I'd love Huntr's neighborhood.

I did the DC commute, and lived in Leonardtown. Most days it was bearable, other days, not so much. Make sure you learn as many alternate routes as possible. It helps to follow somebody too who knows the area. I suggest looking at tele-working options, and even an alternate schedule to avoid rush hour. If the commuter bus schedule works for your job, then look to see if your job reimburses all or part of that. Some do.

snake

Do you have kids?

Yes, two very very young and the spouse. We are late twenties.

Calvert County is better.

:lol:

Seriously though, it's nice down here, but no way would I want to drive over the bridge or through Waldorf everyday to go to work if I could help it.

There's plenty of great places to eat, see, etc. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Driving through the northern traffic is unavoidable (work), but the further southern parts are more appealing than Waldorf or PG County for a variety of reasons such as schools and the open farmland feel.

... It might be useful to know if you or the family members moving with you have any hobbies and the people of the forum can make recommendations. There are leagues for most of the major sports (baseball, softball, basketball, bowling, football, soccer, roller hockey, volleyball, etc...) there is charter fishing, walking and biking trails, kayaking and boat rentals, golf, hunting, etc... The local crabs and rockfish is excellent along with other local food such as country sausage and stuffed ham. There are historical sites to explore and festivals throughout the year in Leonardtown and Lusby. I have heard some people from the city complain that there is never anything to do and I say that they are not looking hard enough. Welcome to the area, I hope you find it an enjoyable experience.

Most of our hobbies have been given up in order to achieve our dreams (eh, not broke? haha) and relocate here. Between the two of us we are open to many things, possibly leaning towards arts, crafts, the racetracks, outdoor fun but maybe not organized sports, except maybe for the kids once they're older, also cooking/food events, and music. Some of the county fair's and other get-togethers seem tons of fun. Also interested in the "new to us things" such as water-related, crabs, historical, and all that we would never have found back home. Mainly looking to check out new things, maybe attempt to find similar types to make new friends. Building a whole new life, but that's harder with kids.

----
Thanks for all the other comments. Traffics definitely insane compared to most everywhere else in the country and the summer humidity is, well, that's what it is. Looking forward to learning about places or events for things or groups to join.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My wife and I moved here in late summer 2012, she got a job with NAVAIR at Pax River (the Navy base).

Folks around here are (for the most part) friendly and courteous in person. Lots of activities for the family.

Living expenses are higher than the middle of the country (moved here from northern Illinois), but not terribly so for most things save real estate.

The forum here is a great resource, members helped quite a bit when we were planning our move.

slowlane

Hi,

Moving to southern Maryland soon (D.C. area job)

Exactly where around D.C. will you be working ? Are you aware that the D.C. area has the 2nd-worst traffic gridlock in the nation, year after year, according to studies by the Amer. Auto. Association?

These 2 links will give you some idea of your expected commute time --- and the stated times are very optimistic -- usually it takes much longer than shown.

http://kellerbus.com/schedules/725.pdf

http://kellerbus.com/schedules/735.pdf

frequentflier

happy to be living
Welcome! Some parts of St.Mary's is very busy with traffic, etc, while other parts of the county is extremely rural. So there are many living options and varying opinions of each. I like Calvert County, parts of southern Anne Arundel Co and St. Mary's too!

If I were going to commute to DC every day, I would choose Lusby, St Leonard or northern Calvert over St Mary's; especially considering how hosed up traffic can get from the TJ bridge.
Welcome to southern MD, Snake. Like every place else, there are some awesome people here. And some douche bags, too!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If I was taking a job in DC I would be looking at VA instead of MD to live. Someplace that has rail, like the Fredericksburg area, so that I wouldn't worry about not only commuting, but parking too.

vince77

Figure on a spending 3 hours a day commuting to and from St. Mary's County to DC. if you work normal business hours.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Figure on a spending 3 hours a day commuting to and from St. Mary's County to DC. if you work normal business hours.

the people I know that have taken jobs in DC started out commuting and then moved. Of course they were the ones that were either single or didn't have any kids in school.
My advice, once the kids are in a school you will find it hard to move and either you will change jobs (not a good market for that) or the commute will age you.