Landlord expects us to have her house power washed!

Bambesi

Has anyone who has rented a house ever been told by the landlord that it is your responsibility to have the house power washed because the siding is dirty? My husband and I have been renting a townhouse in Calvert for almost 2 years. Our landlord says the HOA requires that siding be power washed if it is dirty and said that the HOA has notified her that it is dirty now and has to be power washed. We read the lease and it says nothing about power washing the house. It is a standard lease that says the standard stuff about the tenants getting the security deposit back unless there has been damage above and beyond normal wear and tear.

This is not the first time our landlord has shown her true colors (to put it in a much nicer way than she deserves.). My husband and I are both landlords ourselves - we have each rented out our condos ever since we got married and needed to find a place to live that is more centrally located to both our jobs. So we know what it's like to be a landlord. And frankly I am so grateful to have a responsible tenant renting from me that I bend over backwards to keep him happy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Our landlord can't require us to hire and pay someone to power wash her house, can she?

Thank you!

glhs837

Power with Control
Would depend on the wording of the lease, of course, but I know that sort of maint is beyond what I would ask of my tenant.

KDENISE977

I personally, just me saying this, would be embarrassed to live in a house where the HOA was saying it was THAT DIRTY that it needs washed. If it were me, be it required in the lease or not, I'd power wash it. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth !!

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
My tenant asked to borrow my pressure washer to clean the house- he's my brother. :)

I wouldn't ask any tenant to pressure wash a house if it was normal mold or dirt. If it was crud like grease, food or blatant mud from them then I would hold what I needed from the security deposit.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Depends on the wording in the lease. Most would expect a tenant to do things like lawn care, etc. But I would think power washing would go beyond that. Just ask the landlord to point out the wording , in the lease, that says you have to power wash.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Depends on the wording in the lease. Most would expect a tenant to do things like lawn care, etc. But I would think power washing would go beyond that. Just ask the landlord to point out the wording , in the lease, that says you have to power wash.

:yay:... and that the tenant would not be held liable for any damages if something happens.

glhs837

Power with Control
Exactly, Icit, I was just thinking that, a pressure washer can cause some serious damage if not used properly. And, since this in an HOA, which indicates a subdivision, depending on the age, it would be possible to destroy some of the siding if it's cheap siding and a bit older.

KDENISE977

I'm guessing I'm the only one who wouldn't want to live in a cruddy looking house :shrug:

Oh well, guess that's why I am a home owner and we power wash the house every year and pay to have the roof warm water pressure washed every other year :shrug:

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm guessing I'm the only one who wouldn't want to live in a cruddy looking house :shrug:

Oh well, guess that's why I am a home owner and we power wash the house every year and pay to have the roof warm water pressure washed every other year :shrug:

No. You're not the only one.

If you read the OP, you'll notice that no one is questioning the need for power washing. The question is in a tenant/landlord relationship, who is responsible for the power washing.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nobody is saying that, we are saying that we wouldn't expect it to be a thing most people would think a tenant should be expected to do to a rental property. Although I'm also not sure of the benefit of pressure washing a roof. A problem with discoloration of shingles is usually a fungal thing, best fixed with copper sheets under the top row of shingles so that copper particles are washed down over the rest of the roof, killing fungal stuff.

KDENISE977

Nobody is saying that, we are saying that we wouldn't expect it to be a thing most people would think a tenant should be expected to do to a rental property. Although I'm also not sure of the benefit of pressure washing a roof. A problem with discoloration of shingles is usually a fungal thing, best fixed with copper sheets under the top row of shingles so that copper particles are washed down over the rest of the roof, killing fungal stuff.

Living in the woods and not getting direct sunlight, it was getting green in some places.

glhs837

Power with Control
Living in the woods and not getting direct sunlight, it was getting green in some places.

that's where I'm sort of lucky, I'm completely engulfed by the forest, but the land slopes such that none of it overhangs the roof. Only thing you can see in the summer satellite view is the roof :)

lucky_bee

RBF expert
As a current renter, I specifically rent so I don't have to take on home-owner tasks like lawn care (condo), house repairs, and heavy-duty cleaning beyond carpets. I don't own these tools or have the income to rent them/hire people all the time. Sorry. That's why I'm renting. :shrug:

I had a friend who had to clean out the gutters, overhaul the lawn, amongst other things as part of his rental agreement when he left the house. A little over the top. I mean, as a renter I take care of any property I'm in, of course I want it to look nice and would take care of anything that I specifically caused damage to. But power washing feels above and beyond a general house maintenance agreement. Mostly for a liability issue.

Also HOAs can be excruciatingly picky. Their idea of "dirty" could be nowhere near an average person's perception of actually dirty and worth breaking out the power washer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To me power washing the siding is like cutting the grass: routine maintenance and not a major repair, and therefore the responsibility of the tenant. If you live in an apartment complex they do pretty much everything for you (yay!) but I understand renting a single family home to have more responsibility with maintaining the home and property.

But that really should be specified in the lease and if it's not, then the landlord has to take care of it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
As it is an HOA requirement for the action, and it is the property owner, not the tenant, that has the agreement with the HOA, it should be the owner's responsibility unless specifically stated within the rental/lease agreement.

Chris0nllyn

You shouldn't even need a power washer (unless it's real bad).

Get some house cleaner (with bleach) and a pump sprayer. Spray the house and let it sit for a minute or two, then spray it off with a hose.

Hannibal

I agree with with the above, but as mentioned numerous times, it would default to the language of the lease, and ulimately (if not clearly defined), the legal range/definition of terms being used as it relates to such an issue (normal maintenance/upkeep, etc).

You (or your landlord) would ultimately spend as much, if not more, on a lawyer to give an opinion what power washing would cost you.

Personaly, I see this as a maintenence issue and is honestly not a tough task. I equate it to grass cutting or weeding or leaf removal. Some people may not be able to do this (no tools, physical inability, etc.) so they must hire a service.

What I would propose is a compromise. If you've been in the house for two years and it wasn't pressure washed prior to your arrival, I would argue that you are being held to a different standard than the previous tenant and as such, you are actually being asked to pay for staining that was partly incurred before your arrival. More specifically, if you've been there for two years and it's been five years since they've powerwashed - you are paying 100% for what amounts to be 40% of the issue.

I would suggest the landlord hiring a service and you offering to split the bill 50/50. Pay off the invoice, not his/her statement of cost. You assume no liability in the service (which is why THEY need to hire) other than a portion of the cost.

Just my .02.