New dog introductions

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My dad called me a little bit ago looking for advice. He has a male, 11 year old, Pug and decided to bring in a 1 year old male Bichon Frise at least I think that is what it is. That is what the picture looked like that he showed me last week.

The old Pug is barking obsessively at the new addition, growling and chasing the new addition and my dad is looking for advice.... he is baffled because my girls visit his house and his dog doesn't act that way. I told my dad that his dog knows they are visiting and can sense this addition may be a new resident. Dogs are not stupid.

I said give it a few days, be sure to give the old Pug attention and perhaps the barking will lesson but is there something else he should be doing?

He wants this to work and is on a trial run, basically fostering this dog for the moment. I could tell he was somewhat frustrated. He is on day #1 - in fact, somewhere around the 9th hour.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My dad called me a little bit ago looking for advice. He has a male, 11 year old, Pug and decided to bring in a 1 year old male Bichon Frise at least I think that is what it is. That is what the picture looked like that he showed me last week.

The old Pug is barking obsessively at the new addition, growling and chasing the new addition and my dad is looking for advice.... he is baffled because my girls visit his house and his dog doesn't act that way. I told my dad that his dog knows they are visiting and can sense this addition may be a new resident. Dogs are not stupid.

I said give it a few days, be sure to give the old Pug attention and perhaps the barking will lesson but is there something else he should be doing?

He wants this to work and is on a trial run, basically fostering this dog for the moment. I could tell he was somewhat frustrated. He is on day #1 - in fact, somewhere around the 9th hour.

so how did your dad into them?
did he just bring the new dog in the house and say "here"

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My first obvious question is are they both neutered ? Sound to me like an "Alfa " situation

The pug is fixed. I'll have to ask about the new addition but think he most likely is.

Icit,

Knowing my dad... I bet that is exactly what he did. I'll call him later today and see if it has gotten any better. I really think the old guy is establishing his dominance.

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
The pug is fixed. I'll have to ask about the new addition but think he most likely is.

Icit,

Knowing my dad... I bet that is exactly what he did. I'll call him later today and see if it has gotten any better. I really think the old guy is establishing his dominance.

LOL

they should have been introduced on neutral grounds.. and taken for a walk to get use to each other ... not saying that would be a 100%

but not all dogs will just allow another dog right into the house. (im lucky my dogs could careless....)

Roman

Could it be just a male thing? I introduced a new female Boston when my other female was 2 years old. They get along fine. When handing out treats, the first BT gets the treat first. We have a bay window in the house with a little bed in it where the first BT is only allowed. It's the one place in the house that is all hers, and she doesn't have to share. Tell your Father that it takes about 2 weeks, and not lose hope. It takes a little getting used to for both dog, and owner.

If done right this is what he'd get.

Attachments

• poochselfies.jpg
    poochselfies.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 496

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Could it be just a male thing? I introduced a new female Boston when my other female was 2 years old. They get along fine. When handing out treats, the first BT gets the treat first. We have a bay window in the house with a little bed in it where the first BT is only allowed. It's the one place in the house that is all hers, and she doesn't have to share. Tell your Father that it takes about 2 weeks, and not lose hope. It takes a little getting used to for both dog, and owner.

My girls get along fine also. They have had a few spats but they are few and far between and typically over a toy.

If done right this is what he'd get.

:lmao: That's great!

Roman

I was just wondering how it is going with your Dad's dogs. Are they getting along better?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I was just wondering how it is going with your Dad's dogs. Are they getting along better?

No it didn't get better and they ended up finding another home for the dog, which I think was for the best. I was a bit surprised my dad would consider another dog at this stage of his life with his heath problems and his old pug just wasn't going to share his home or master.

Dad was disappointed but admits the dog's new home option was a better one.

frequentflier

happy to be living
No it didn't get better and they ended up finding another home for the dog, which I think was for the best. I was a bit surprised my dad would consider another dog at this stage of his life with his heath problems and his old pug just wasn't going to share his home or master.

Dad was disappointed but admits the dog's new home option was a better one.

:yay: