Van making a noise

lovinmaryland

Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from the drivers side front wheel area. It wasn’t making the noise the entire time mostly when driving above 40 and turning the wheel to the left. (kinda like a squeaky almost metal sound) I noticed when I lightly pressed the breaks the noise stopped. Any ideas? Not sure if this makes any difference or not but I recently just had new tires put on the veh.

Yesterday I noticed a noise coming from the drivers side front wheel area. It wasn’t making the noise the entire time mostly when driving above 40 and turning the wheel to the left. (kinda like a squeaky almost metal sound) I noticed when I lightly pressed the breaks the noise stopped. Any ideas? Not sure if this makes any difference or not but I recently just had new tires put on the veh.

Brake wear tab. Probably time to replace the brake pads.

lovinmaryland

Well I also just recently had an oil change at Mr Tire (2 weeks ago) and they do a full check of the car and didn't mention anything about the breaks...normally they have a list of crap they try they think needs to be done.

Well I also just recently had an oil change at Mr Tire (2 weeks ago) and they do a full check of the car and didn't mention anything about the breaks...normally they have a list of crap they try they think needs to be done.

You think they would have mentioned something when they had the wheel off for tires too. Check brakes first anyway. Next thing that might make that kind of sound might be a wheel bearing.

DEEKAYPEE8569

You think they would have mentioned something when they had the wheel off for tires too. Check brakes first anyway. Next thing that might make that kind of sound might be a wheel bearing.
Wheel bearings can also make a roar-like sound or a grinding sound if they need to be replaced. Both are somewhat distinctive and can be heard when brakes are not applied. Brakes can also make a grinding sound when applied.

lovinmaryland

Thats what I was thinking too. I'm sure which ever is most expensive is what the problem will be :lol:

I just took it next door for them to look at so hopefully we'll know soon what it is.

glhs837

Power with Control
Generally speaking, if it's the wear tabs on the pads, that noise will not go away when braking. Might even get louder.

So, lets recap the symptoms. And the questions are not mocking, they are meant to pin things down.

"It wasn’t making the noise the entire time mostly when driving above 40 and turning the wheel to the left. (kinda like a squeaky almost metal sound) I noticed when I lightly pressed the breaks the noise stopped

1. Always above 40? Or just mostly?

2. Only when turning left? Or only above 40 while in a turn?

3. Goes way when applying brakes. So, if you are turning, and applying the brakes, it changes? Very first thing I would do, is what most mechanics would. Look first to whatever the last thing done was. Last thing touched woulda been lug nuts, you or someone you trust needs to get the lug wrench and make sure they are tight. Check back after checking that.

lovinmaryland

Generally speaking, if it's the wear tabs on the pads, that noise will not go away when braking. Might even get louder.

So, lets recap the symptoms. And the questions are not mocking, they are meant to pin things down.

"It wasn’t making the noise the entire time mostly when driving above 40 and turning the wheel to the left. (kinda like a squeaky almost metal sound) I noticed when I lightly pressed the breaks the noise stopped

1. Always above 40? Or just mostly?

2. Only when turning left? Or only above 40 while in a turn?

3. Goes way when applying brakes. So, if you are turning, and applying the brakes, it changes? Very first thing I would do, is what most mechanics would. Look first to whatever the last thing done was. Last thing touched woulda been lug nuts, you or someone you trust needs to get the lug wrench and make sure they are tight. Check back after checking that.
Yesterday I was going around the curve in Hughesville (turning the wheel left)is when I first heard it. As the day went on I heard it other times more so when turning the wheel left.
Yes when I lightly applied the brakes the noise stopped and did not return for quite a bit.
Is your van Front Wheel Drive?
Yes.