Is anyone involved in Microcontrollers?

C

Chuckt

It has become my hobby. I have a Pikit 2 for Microchip Pics and I have a Jtag programmer for ARM chips.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gotcha. Definitely not my "hobby" although I've been tempted to start messing around with a DIY Electronic fuel injection engine controller package called "MegaSquirt" that is available in kit form. The MEgaSquirt package uses a Motorola processor...MC9S12XEP100 the most recent, I belive.

My hobby is building engines and vehicles to put them in....

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's a neat product...but has a ton of features not useful or necessary for embedded process control (like engine management/EFI). Be fun to play with for a lot of other applications, I can see that..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Gotcha. Definitely not my "hobby" although I've been tempted to start messing around with a DIY Electronic fuel injection engine controller package called "MegaSquirt" that is available in kit form. The MEgaSquirt package uses a Motorola processor...MC9S12XEP100 the most recent, I belive.

My hobby is building engines and vehicles to put them in....

:yay:

been looking at the for yrs ....

nutz

That's a neat product...but has a ton of features not useful or necessary for embedded process control (like engine management/EFI). Be fun to play with for a lot of other applications, I can see that..

I haven't spent much time playing with CAN, Flexray, etc.. Did some airplane stuff using ARINC and that was enough to give me a headache. We recently worked on a control system and figured out how to replace 4 of the 1756-L61 PLC's with 3 Pi modules. The 1756 modules run ~$6800.00 each. The Pis are 25-35 depending on version.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I haven't spent much time playing with CAN, Flexray, etc.. Did some airplane stuff using ARINC and that was enough to give me a headache. We recently worked on a control system and figured out how to replace 4 of the 1756-L61 PLC's with 3 Pi modules. The 1756 modules run ~$6800.00 each. The Pis are 25-35 depending on version.

We use an inexpensive little Netburner product that has a Coldfire processor on board in our commercial marine control systems.

PaxSpace

Check out PaxSpace ([url]https://paxspace.org)[/URL] in Hollywood, across 235 from Bruster's. It is our area's member-run makerspace. Membership gives you 24/7 access to an electronics shop, wood shop, 3D printers, a CNC router, and a community of other people to collaborate with on your projects. We also hold classes related to those sort of interests.

There is an upcoming open house on July 19th. Stop by and check it out and meet some of the other people who are involved with PaxSpace.