How Fox News Changed American Media and Political Dynamics

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link (PDF)

"The creation of Fox News in 1996 was an event of deep, yet unappreciated, political and historical importance. For the first time, there was a news source available virtually everywhere in the United States, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with a conservative tilt.

Finally, conservatives did not have to seek out bits of news favorable to their point of view in liberal publications or in small magazines and newsletters. Like someone dying of thirst in the desert, conservatives drank heavily from the Fox waters. Soon, it became the dominant – and in many cases, virtually the only – major news source for millions of Americans.

This has had profound political implications that are only starting to be appreciated. Indeed, it can almost be called self-brainwashing – many conservatives now refuse to even listen to any news or opinion not vetted through Fox, and to believe whatever appears on it as the gospel truth.
"

Hijinx

Indeed, it can almost be called self-brainwashing – many conservatives now refuse to even listen to any news or opinion not vetted through Fox, and to believe whatever appears on it as the gospel truth.

As opposed to brain washed liberals who watch CNN , MSNBC, and CBS news.

CrashTest

capt.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
FOX didn't change the news. They took advantage of the opportunity ABC, CBS and NBC provided by constantly supplying product with a left bias. FOX didn't create the demand. The left did. So, now we have left and right news.

Be kinda cool if there was a major outlet that was down the middle but that's not what the market seems to want. We like our left/right division.

This_person

FOX didn't change the news. They took advantage of the opportunity ABC, CBS and NBC provided by constantly supplying product with a left bias. FOX didn't create the demand. The left did. So, now we have left and right news.

Be kinda cool if there was a major outlet that was down the middle but that's not what the market seems to want. We like our left/right division.

Fox is tilted as far to the right as CNN is tilted to the left. Everything else is so grossly exaggerated to the left it makes Fox appear to be far right. Watching both Fox and CNN will get someone a fairly unbiased news stream.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Fox is tilted as far to the right as CNN is tilted to the left. Everything else is so grossly exaggerated to the left it makes Fox appear to be far right. Watching both Fox and CNN will get someone a fairly unbiased news stream.

FOX is not far right and CNN is not far left. None of them 'grossly' exaggerate. Commentary, yes but the basic news, while certainly with readily detectable bias, with exceptions, is farily much the same thing; a little right or a little left.

We like our marketing. We don't much buy something that is labeled 'cola'. It has to be Coke or Pepsi or some other flashy thing. Even bottled water has to have a brand and brand means, by definition, bias even when there is little or no real difference.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Indeed, it can almost be called self-brainwashing – many conservatives now refuse to even listen to any news or opinion not vetted through Fox, and to believe whatever appears on it as the gospel truth."

:killingme

SamSpade

Exactly right.

And you've seen my posts where I've said, CNN and the major networks could erase FOX News almost overnight if they only did ONE thing, and they will never do it - portray the right in a fair light, with a reasonable amount of air time. They won't do it because it is anathema to them.

I don't "vet" news through FOX, but I never believe the conservative angle shown on the other networks without challenging it, because they've never been fair about it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't "vet" news through...

I think if we all just looked at the news, CNN, FOX, ABC, etc, for what it is, a product, it would be a lot easier to not be bothered or put off with bias; you either like coke or you like pepsi. Or maybe you like a little of both. If we simply accept that they're trying to sell us, which is done by trying offer what they think you want, then it becomes easier to take it or leave it. At this point, the other guys couldn't get rid of FOX no matter what because now it's a brand with loyal customers. Just like the big three made room for CNN, they then made market room for FOX.

I'd now like to see an outlet, a product, that combines the two wings and does it in an intelligent fashion absent the overt hucksterism. But, so far, not much market interest it seems.

SamSpade

I'd now like to see an outlet, a product, that combines the two wings and does it in an intelligent fashion absent the overt hucksterism. But, so far, not much market interest it seems.

I actually just read an article critical of FOX - written by a conservative - who laments that the network has insinuated itself so far into conservatism and the GOP, that they more or less tell THEM what to do.

Which is ridiculous. As another article I read this morning points out, FOX's biggest show attracts 3 million viewers, only half of which identify as conservative. WAY fewer than the number you would need to influence a nation.

The article then goes on to say something along the lines of what you stated - the network is about viewership and money, not about politics or influencing elections, and it has much less interest in advancing political careers and making Presidents than it does EMPLOYING politicians to gain viewers.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I actually just read an article critical of FOX - written by a conservative - who laments that the network has insinuated itself so far into conservatism and the GOP, that they more or less tell THEM what to do.

Which is ridiculous. As another article I read this morning points out, FOX's biggest show attracts 3 million viewers, only half of which identify as conservative. WAY fewer than the number you would need to influence a nation.

The article then goes on to say something along the lines of what you stated - the network is about viewership and money, not about politics or influencing elections, and it has much less interest in advancing political careers and making Presidents than it does EMPLOYING politicians to gain viewers.

Yeah, but, I think this falls under the 'perception is reality' thing. GOP'ers are risk adverse and if they think FOX holds that weight, it's fine with them. They're not gonna argue otherwise. It's like Limbaugh. He is the defacto voice of the party because no one else will say anything or simply has nothing to say. So, the impression is he has this enormous power which, like FOX, he only does because people have that perception. :shrug:

SamSpade

Yeah, but, I think this falls under the 'perception is reality' thing. GOP'ers are risk adverse and if they think FOX holds that weight, it's fine with them. They're not gonna argue otherwise. It's like Limbaugh. He is the defacto voice of the party because no one else will say anything or simply has nothing to say. So, the impression is he has this enormous power which, like FOX, he only does because people have that perception. :shrug:

I think the thing is, as much as many people may watch FOX - or may listen to Rush - we're talking a few million regular listeners or viewers.

Versus the tens of millions who vote.

And despite the whining and droning and puling of the left - the vast majority of these, like most Americans, don't pay much attention to news beyond what typically
filters to their ears via the normal channels. Most Americans are not politically astute. Would that they were - but they're not. The big three still have most of their attention regarding the news - IF THEY'RE EVEN watching *them*. Most Americans don't vote in non-Presidential race years. When it IS one, roughly a third still stay home. Of those who go, about a third to half are extremely ignorant regarding the candidates. A fraction are informed at all.

FOX and Limbaugh have an effect on the fraction who stay abreast of politics - but they are still small.

H

Hodr

Eh? Maybe I am out of touch, but I don't think anyone has considered Limbaugh to be the voice of the party for a good while now. I understand that he still has the most listeners of any radio talk-show, but his opinions have become less and less mainstream.

Back in the 90s when I was going to college I used to listen to him every day and agreed with the majority of what he said, but I took a break after graduating and didn't listen again for several years. When I tried again to listen regularly I just couldn't take him seriously, he was almost unrecognizable to the person I used to listen to.

This_person

Eh? Maybe I am out of touch, but I don't think anyone has considered Limbaugh to be the voice of the party for a good while now. I understand that he still has the most listeners of any radio talk-show, but his opinions have become less and less mainstream.

Back in the 90s when I was going to college I used to listen to him every day and agreed with the majority of what he said, but I took a break after graduating and didn't listen again for several years. When I tried again to listen regularly I just couldn't take him seriously, he was almost unrecognizable to the person I used to listen to.

Did he change or did you? I can't say, I have never been a steady listener.

If you like your news relatively unbiased, Jake Tapper and Shep Smith each do decent jobs. C-SPAN works too.