Daniel 7 Troubled Daniel

hotcoffee

Daniel 7:19 “Then I wanted to know the meaning of the fourth beast, which was different from all the others and most terrifying, with its iron teeth and bronze claws—the beast that crushed and devoured its victims and trampled underfoot whatever was left. 20 I also wanted to know about the ten horns on its head and about the other horn that came up, before which three of them fell—the horn that looked more imposing than the others and that had eyes and a mouth that spoke boastfully. 21 As I watched, this horn was waging war against the holy people and defeating them, 22 until the Ancient of Days came and pronounced judgment in favor of the holy people of the Most High, and the time came when they possessed the kingdom.​

Today is a perfect example of why I have to take Daniel one section at a time. There is so much in it that I've never really seen before. Did you notice that in verse 19 Daniel now tells us that the beast has bronze claws?

Yesterday I though we were going into the interpretation of the fourth beast. This morning I see that we are looking at the beast again.

I seems to me that the beast is not nearly as scary as the horn that comes up out of it. The horn [a leader] with eyes [a vision of where it wants to go] and a mouth [that communicates] speaking boastfully [giving a tone of authority to lies and making the lies sound like the truth]. No wonder Daniel is so terrified of this beast.

Here's what one of the commentaries says about these three verses.

a. I wished to know the truth about the fourth beast: There was much interest in all these four beasts, but Daniel was especially interested in the fourth, most terrible beast - and especially about its conspicuous horn.

b. Exceedingly dreadful, with its teeth of iron and its nails of bronze: The fourth beast interested Daniel because of its great destructive power, because of the conspicuous horn, and because of its fight against God's people (the same horn was making war against the saints).

i. If this horn represents the Antichrist, and he fights against the saints, it does not necessarily mean that the church will be on earth as a target of the Antichrist during the tribulation. We can say, "Not necessarily," because saints can indicate the church or a Jewish remnant in the tribulation (Revelation 12:17; 13:7).​

To put this back into the perspective of the historical view, another commentary gives us this.

7:20-25 “The ten horns” of the beasts, like the feet of iron mixed with clay in Daniel 2, predicted that the Roman Empire would fragment into ten parts. Barbarian tribes invaded the empire’s territory from the north and east and eventually became the nations of modern Europe.​

:coffee: