More proof of Obamacare's success

H

Hodr

Let's be honest, insurance rates have been on an out of control rate of increase for a decade now. I understand given the timing this analogy may be in poor taste, but I say we go full steam ahead in this train. The sooner we hit that corner and de-rail, the sooner we can work on picking up the pieces and fixing this broken system.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Let's be honest, insurance rates have been on an out of control rate of increase for a decade now. .

That's true but hardly the point here. The point is that Obamacare was going to stop those increases or at least keep them small. The opposite is apparently the case; with a year of cost data now in hand, the numbers are a disaster.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just as damaging is Obamacare's effect on deductibles --

Astonishing. It's typical for people to have deductibles on their mandatory health insurance that were previously only found with low-cost "catastrophic event" coverage.

Hijinx

What difference does it make? We are already F**ked.

It's here, he lied, and our Congress isn't going to do a freaking thing about it.

Pay up and shut up. Vote for Steny Hoyer and keep voting for him, while he helps Obama shove this mess up your rear.

SG_Player1974

Bottom line is this....

Did anyone reasonably think that ANYONE... not just Obama.... would be able to fund medical care for the uncovered masses without increasing costs somehow?

Did anyone reasonably think that those who do NOT pay their medical bills now... would suddenly turn around and start paying under ANY new medical care act?

If ANYONE thought this was going to happen and the costs not get bigger somehow is just not a smart person.. :coffee:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Did anyone reasonably think that those who do NOT pay their medical bills now... would suddenly turn around and start paying under ANY new medical care act?

plenty of progressive though the promised land had arrive .... until the got the bill :lmao:

SamSpade

plenty of progressive though the promised land had arrive .... until the got the bill :lmao:

I have a couple relatives who were very much in favor of Obamacare - because they were sure it was going to be FREE for *them*.
I work with a handful of women who voted for Obama - twice - who after a couple rounds of tax seasons are kind of annoyed that for an awful lot of people, universal coverage amounted to no more than making it a punishable offense if you did NOT have health care.

And a few who somehow got this idea that when all of it came together, there would be this synergy of coverage where savings would just sort of come out and the costs would be minimal.
There wasn't anything to support this idea, except possibly faith.

Hijinx

Bottom line is this....

Did anyone reasonably think that ANYONE... not just Obama.... would be able to fund medical care for the uncovered masses without increasing costs somehow?

If ANYONE thought this was going to happen and the costs not get bigger somehow is just not a smart person.. :coffee:

If you are trying to say that the Democrats who voted for this sh1t and the president who pushed it were not smart, i doubt you will get much of an argument.

philibusters

Obamacare had its winners and losers. The winners were lower income people. The losers were young healthy people who don't get health care through work and don't qualify for the tax credits to reduce the work. Also taxpayers were losers to some extent as the cost of the tax subsidies is probably substantial.

Conservatives usually hold out the healthcare industry as a loser, but overall I think they were slight winners (and its reflected in their stock prices).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Conservatives usually hold out the healthcare industry as a loser, but overall I think they were slight winners (and its reflected in their stock prices).

indeed, they do ... but this is not the case - Healthcare just for permanent funding courtesy of the FED

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Obamacare had its winners and losers. The winners were lower income people. The losers were young healthy people who don't get health care through work and don't qualify for the tax credits to reduce the work. .

And lets not forget the millions of middle-class folks of all ages who buy their own health insurance..and saw the prices jump and the deductibles skyrocket.

philibusters

And lets not forget the millions of middle-class folks of all ages who buy their own health insurance..and saw the prices jump and the deductibles skyrocket.

Yeah I threw the adjective "young" before people who are healthy and don't get their healthcare through work and make too much to qualify for the subsidies, but the statement applies to the young and old a like.

Obamacare (actually it was the regulations that followed Obamacare) discouraged cheap health insurance plans. You can make arguments both ways. People tend to love their cheap plans with low deductibles. The problem is the reason they were cheap and had low deductibles was because usually the health insurance insurance company mitigated risk by say having a 100,000 dollar annual cap. So it was great for a broken arm, getting some drugs from the doctor for a minor illness or a minor car accident, but the second people were in a serious car accident or got cancer or had a heart attack, they no longer love their cheap plans with low deductibles. Now that healthcare insurance companies are not allowed to mitigate their risk by throwing a fairly low annual cap like 100,000 dollar yearly maximum payout, they are no willing to offer cheap plans with cheap deductibles. In some ways the new regulations are protecting consumers who probably didn't understand the limits of their plans, but in some ways a lot of consumers even if they understood the risk I think would like to buy cheap health insurance with relatively low deductibles even if they took on more risk because of an annual max that was in the $100,000 range