New to the area

luvmylabs

Hello everyone! I'm not sure where I was supposed to post this so I hope this doesn't offend anyone being here. My family and I just finished settling over the long weekend and I'm hoping to find some new friends here. A little about me would I guess be the most noticeable thing that I have achondroplasia. In other words I'm a little person or a midget which doesn't bother me. My husband and two kids are all average height. This seems like a nice place so the thing that brought me to this forum was that my neighbor said anything you need go on this site. Buy,sell,forums,advice it's all here. So now that we're unpacked what do the locals do in the summer? I had a fantasy when we moved that I would be eating those famous crabs every day and was delighted to see people selling them on the side of the road! I guess that is safe?! But wow expensive. I thought they'd be like hot dog prices lol.

glhs837

Power with Control
Hello everyone! I'm not sure where I was supposed to post this so I hope this doesn't offend anyone being here. My family and I just finished settling over the long weekend and I'm hoping to find some new friends here. A little about me would I guess be the most noticeable thing that I have achondroplasia. In other words I'm a little person or a midget which doesn't bother me. My husband and two kids are all average height. This seems like a nice place so the thing that brought me to this forum was that my neighbor said anything you need go on this site. Buy,sell,forums,advice it's all here. So now that we're unpacked what do the locals do in the summer? I had a fantasy when we moved that I would be eating those famous crabs every day and was delighted to see people selling them on the side of the road! I guess that is safe?! But wow expensive. I thought they'd be like hot dog prices lol.

Welcome, and yes you can get any piece of information you need to survive or thrive down here. I can't help you with crabs all that much, I'm a New England boy at heart, and lobsters own my soul. But those who do appreciate crustaceans that have a high work reward ratio will be sure to chime in. I do love a good crab dip though. :) We have experts in almost any field hanging around. And, I should warn you, the smartass ratio is high. Mostly good natured with a sprinkling of real bozos.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Welcome to the land of pleasant living.

There's a lot to do in this area. Many outdoor opportunities. Adventurous cities within a short drive like DC or Annapolis. Summers are spent on or close to the water. There are also seasonal farmer's markets for produce and baked goods.

I'm not sure of your kid's ages but if they are school age, the public schools locally are fairly competent. At least that was the case while mine attended.

luvmylabs

We're from Williston which is in North Dakota and our kids are adults I guess - 18 and almost 20. One thing that was my first big surprise was the huge Hispanic population! We drove down to some of the beaches one I can't remember the name but had a playground and was down a long road on the way to Point Lookout. Both places were so crowded but almost all Hispanic. Not being nasty or negative and I really hope I'm not coming across that way but it was unexpected. I found a tiny little country store and it was beyond adorable!! To my great surprise I also saw another little person out which I pretty much never saw at home. So altogether I'm just really excited because this community seems so diverse and friendly. When we drove down residential roads people outside would wave and I appreciated that!

calvcopf

Welcome! Yes, crabs are expensive! We usually get them as a "treat" 1 or 2 times a year. Lots to do and see. I recommend checking out the Calvert Marine Museum. Take a tour of the museum and check out all of the activities that they offer throughout the summer.
:howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Welcome! Crabs were crazy price last year because (I think) supply was low, or something like that. Not sure what they are this year but they're never cheap eats.

Summers are spent on o near the water, for the most part. If you like outdoor recreation, you are definitely in the right place. There are a zillion little towns around here (and not so little towns like Annapolis) that are ridiculously cute and very different than what you've seen in ND. Take an afternoon and go to downtown Annapolis to walk around, shop, and have some food.

As far as you being a little person, I think you'll find that people are fairly accepting because there are several folks like you in this area.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Welcome! Crabs were crazy price last year because (I think) supply was low, or something like that. Not sure what they are this year but they're never cheap eats.

Summers are spent on o near the water, for the most part. If you like outdoor recreation, you are definitely in the right place. There are a zillion little towns around here (and not so little towns like Annapolis) that are ridiculously cute and very different than what you've seen in ND. Take an afternoon and go to downtown Annapolis to walk around, shop, and have some food.

As far as you being a little person, I think you'll find that people are fairly accepting because there are several folks like you in this area.

And on TV... http://somd.com/news/headlines/2015/19413.shtml

inkah

grab some chicken necks, string and a long handled net and try catching your own crabs - I am sure there are plenty here that can offer tips on location and exact methods.

Cooking them is simple - water (some will say beer), a large pot and OLD BAY.

Or make friends with folks who live on the water.

Otherwise, you'll pay a pretty penny.

Welcome.
Some members on here are turds and will be rude/mean. Don't take it to heart. Most are nice.
Enjoy the forums. Enjoy the area. Enjoy having 4 seasons and no snow in May. Winter doesn't start here until late October at the earliest.
Warning: People here can't drive in the rain, let alone the snow. Lack of practice = the area shuts down when there's 1/4" of snow.

belvak

Happy Camper
:howdy: Welcome to SOMD! You mentioned a tiny little store. We have lots of little stores/antique shops throughout St. Mary's, Calvert, and Charles counties. Also lots of nice parks!!

Roman

I'm heading out to explore this morning and get some groceries. If you see a little lady in a flower dress,say hi!
Welcome to Southern Maryland, and the forums. I hope you like the area. There are a lot of places to enjoy here. Enjoy your trip out and about.

bilbur

Welcome to the area, I posted some local activities recently to another member arriving soon. I will paste it in here and if you find an activity you or your family is interested in just ask and someone on the forum will tell you where to go or how to get signed up.

As a local, I can't imagine living any ware else. To be perfectly honest I have not traveled to too many places and because of the work I do most of the places I do go are in the middle of the desert so I don't have much in the way of comparisons. It might be useful to know if you or the family members moving with you have any hobbies and the people of the forum can make recommendations. There are leagues for most of the major sports (baseball, softball, basketball, bowling, football, soccer, roller hockey, volleyball, etc...) there is charter fishing, walking and biking trails, kayaking and boat rentals, golf, hunting, etc... The local crabs and rockfish is excellent along with other local food such as country sausage and stuffed ham. There are historical sites to explore and festivals throughout the year in Leonardtown and Lusby. I have heard some people from the city complain that there is never anything to do and I say that they are not looking hard enough. Welcome to the area, I hope you find it an enjoyable experience.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
We're from Williston which is in North Dakota and our kids are adults I guess - 18 and almost 20. One thing that was my first big surprise was the huge Hispanic population! We drove down to some of the beaches one I can't remember the name but had a playground and was down a long road on the way to Point Lookout. Both places were so crowded but almost all Hispanic. Not being nasty or negative and I really hope I'm not coming across that way but it was unexpected. I found a tiny little country store and it was beyond adorable!! To my great surprise I also saw another little person out which I pretty much never saw at home. So altogether I'm just really excited because this community seems so diverse and friendly. When we drove down residential roads people outside would wave and I appreciated that!

Those individuals that you saw actually for the most part come down almost every weekend from neighboring counties to fish and aren't actually a true representative of the individuals in that community. Also with it being a holiday weekend, there were so many out of county people out and about on the South end, that I felt crowded. My husband swore we had a traffic jam in Ridge. Try going to Point Lookout on a CWS Friday or weekday instead.

However, we do have a very diverse population in this county, mostly due to the federal government employment and military transfers/retirees. That's a good thing imho.

May I ask, did you find "Buzzy's" adorable? :lmao:

Welcome and I hope you and your family enjoy the area.

luvmylabs, you wouldn't happen to be another incarnation of someone else who recently said they were new to this area and to these forums....would you?

luvmylabs

luvmylabs, you wouldn't happen to be another incarnation of someone else who recently said they were new to this area and to these forums....would you?

No? I'm just Eileen :) I'm at a nice calm place in life and avoid drama at all costs. Had 15 surgeries on my back and legs over the years and have no interest in wasting good times on bad things!