Pre-K Registration "terms"

"A child must be four years old on or before September 1, 2015, and come from a family with an economically disadvantaged background."

What constitutes as "economically disadvantaged?" :confused:

I just want my son to get a good start at education. :bawl:

"A child must be four years old on or before September 1, 2015, and come from a family with an economically disadvantaged background."

If I'm not mistaken him coming from a 'broken' family could help get him classified as disadvantaged. How clear does he talk? If he still has issues pronouncing words put that down on his application too.

Homer J

Power Chord
I don't know if they still do it but my kids each had to take a test. If they scored bad enough on the test they were automatically in. If they scored too high, they could be put on standby and would get in if the class didn't fill up.

JeJeTe

Happiness
If I'm not mistaken him coming from a 'broken' family could help get him classified as disadvantaged. How clear does he talk? If he still has issues pronouncing words put that down on his application too.

I don't think that counts anymore actually. And I remember when my ex and I registered our son we only put down one income to try to ensure him a spot and it was still too much. They will interview him also at the open house or whatever it is and classify him there too.

He speaks better than my 7-year-old niece and can write a lot of his ABCs :ohwell: and he is a genuine smartass already. :banghead: I think I am going to try to register regardless of income. :ohwell:

JeJeTe

Happiness
He speaks better than my 7-year-old niece and can write a lot of his ABCs :ohwell: and he is a genuine smartass already. :banghead: I think I am going to try to register regardless of income. :ohwell:

Depending on where you are registering him they usually have a ton of open spots leftover after every child that has a need has a spot.

Then why in the heck do you want to rush him entering school? He is obviously thriving and is well socialized. What do you think you'll gain throwing him in a room of disadvantaged kids who are not on his level yet? He'll most likely be bored, bossy and spend his time in trouble because he'll not be getting equal attention from the teacher and will clown about.... so again... what do you think he'll gain?

sockgirl77

There are A LOT of factors. Income, race, broken family, baby daddy in jail, and major educational needs are factors. The sad part is that it's in that order.

Then why in the heck do you want to rush him entering school? He is obviously thriving and is well socialized. What do you think you'll gain throwing him in a room of disadvantaged kids who are not on his level yet? He'll most likely be bored, bossy and spend his time in trouble because he'll not be getting equal attention from the teacher and will clown about.... so again... what do you think he'll gain?

Just thought getting him in early would him more... and teach the little chit to share! :mad:

And Wyatt came to me in the middle of the night panicking about not being able to read yet. :ohwell:

Just thought getting him in early would him more... and teach the little chit to share! :mad:

And Wyatt came to me in the middle of the night panicking about not being able to read yet. :ohwell:
As was mentioned they'll test him to see where he really falls amongst his peers. But I can assure you that especially when it comes to boys, 1 more year of maturity will go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to his schooling success so no harm no foul. They started P-K the year my son started K. He's a September baby so that made him the youngest in the class. I thought he was well prepared to start K as he knew how to write his name, say the alphabet, colors, numbers and such... boy was I surprised when his K teacher called me two weeks in and said he was way behind because he didn't know how to write his First and Last name in upper AND lower case letters and didn't handle scissors as well as she thought he should. I calmly told her he could do it all uppercase and that I don't remember getting the booklet from the hospital where I birthed him as to all the stuff they expected him to know by K because K was where I learned it without issue back in my day. She flustered and said good day. He caught up just fine in a matter of a couple weeks. Buuuuuuuuuut throughout the rest of his schooling career his maturity level always seemed to be behind by a couple months. Maturity in boys is a HUGE factor in how they handle learning.

pebbles

my son is in 1st grade, he's a December baby. I took him to register for Pre-k, I knew I made too much & I knew he already knew too much. He passed their tests easily, he knew shapes, colors, could say his alphabet etc. After that they asked me some "personal" questions. 3 things that stand out in my mind were 1. his father & I weren't together, 2. he had low birth weight (under 6 pounds) & 3. the fact his father hadn't completed high school. He was put on the wait list but was in before school started. He's been fine and is above grade level for everything. Not sure if Pre-k helped with that or not :shrug: Take him & let it play out.

MarieB

After some a discussion with a teacher friend, we decided to put our son on the list for any open spots (would not qualify for any other reason). I did it very late too, only weeks before school started. He ended up getting a spot and has had a great year. He didn't go through any testing at all.

HollyRockJT

Jus Chillin...
Both my kids got put on the wait list... They eventually got in, my son a bit later than my daughter, but it didn't stunt them in any way honestly.

Just do all the paperwork, he'll get in when he gets in, if it isn't pre-k, just work with him a little more and have him ready for K...

MMDad

Lem Putt

If you want him to get a good start don't put him in with the "disadvantaged" kids. He'll probably regress to their level instead of actually learning anything. Your best bet would be to get him into a pre-school program.

pebbles

If you want him to get a good start don't put him in with the "disadvantaged" kids. He'll probably regress to their level instead of actually learning anything. Your best bet would be to get him into a pre-school program.
This is not a true/fair statement.

sockgirl77

This is not a true/fair statement.

It is really not. Two of my kids were in Pre-K. Boy was in there because he was developmentally delayed. Girl was in there because there was a spot open and she qualified based on being in what they consider a broken home. However, both of them flourished in the program and neither were held back because of "disadvantaged" kids.

KDENISE977

I was told not to bother, by a teacher, that because my son was already in an "early learning center" and due to income he'd never get in. At his school now there are a total of 4 out of 40 who are attending :shrug: This is Charles county though. I checked their website and there are 3 categories to qualify. The first is low income, food stamps, etc and they all get in. The 2nd group is all about disadvantages and what not and they "may or may not" and the 3rd group is where I fall basically, not much of a chance due to him being in "school" atmosphere now :shrug:

SG_Player1974

Kinda sucks when your children are punished simply because you, as their parent, decided to make the right decisions when you were growing up. Education, job, good marriage, etc.

Just think.... that red-headed, 3rd grade educated, single mother of 5 will be able to send all her kids to Harvard soon....

sockgirl77

Kinda sucks when your children are punished simply because you, as their parent, decided to make the right decisions when you were growing up. Education, job, good marriage, etc.

Just think.... that red-headed, 3rd grade educated, single mother of 5 will be able to send all her kids to Harvard soon....

Please do not make this a single mother bashing thread.

catlingirl

If he can't get in how about taking him to the library for storytime.? My kids never went to prek but did the library activities and they learned how to read etc and did other activities like they would in prek. My daughter has been above her grade reading level because of it.Just an idea. :)