Trane contractor in Chuck Co

officeguy

I have an AC that is getting to the end of its useful life. I have a quote from my regular AC contractor to replace it with a newfangled Trane multi-stage compressor thingmajig.
Before I dump all this money, I would like to get a quote from another contractor to replace the system (compressor and air-handler). It has to be a Trane dealer, not one of those setups where I pick up the equipment at Home Depot and your cousin installs it on saturday morning ;-)

nutz

We usually use Tri-County Aire 8008905123

B&B is supposed to ok, but have never used them. 866-982-9136

Chris0nllyn

What are the alternatives ?

Rheem had its share of quality problems recently.

Carrier ?

I've got a few good friends in the HVAC field and they always tell me "nothing breaks like a Trane". That being said, I've got a Trane condensing unit that is 15 years old and works fine. :lol:

Maybe it's their new stuff, I don't know.

My friends are mainly industrial/commercial HVAC mechanics and I know at least one prefers Carrier.

The HVAC engineers at my work typically choose Carrier for traditional air handler (A coil)/condenser set ups. And Mitsubishi for ductless splits.

steppinthrax

I have an AC that is getting to the end of its useful life. I have a quote from my regular AC contractor to replace it with a newfangled Trane multi-stage compressor thingmajig.
Before I dump all this money, I would like to get a quote from another contractor to replace the system (compressor and air-handler). It has to be a Trane dealer, not one of those setups where I pick up the equipment at Home Depot and your cousin installs it on saturday morning ;-)

Not to sideline your thinking but if your cousin does a good install job it doesn't really make all that difference. I got my EPA license and replaced my own heat pump and air handler. I did a great job and I saved several thousand dollars doing it myself!

The knowledge and tools aren't really all that expensive. You just need to know the procedure etc...

Hell, you would be surprised who works at a good outfit. You're cousin and his brother might be working at some "high end HVAC outfit". You pay more because you're paying their secretary and the nice looking logos on their brand new white trucks!!!!

Last edited:

NBF

steppinthrax, congratulations on saving so much money. May I ask where you purchased your unit through? I've been researching some sites on the internet and there are some websites that have a lowest price guarantee and glowing reviews. One in mind is called ngramswaterandair.com. I'm leaning towards buying from them and having a local person do the install to save several thousands as you did. If my equipment ends up costing me $3K, how much do you think it would cost to change out the heat pump and air handler in the attic? Thanks to all in advance for their input.

NBF

I gave up on buying equipment and having someone else install it. The HVAC guys and gals do not approve of this and you run the risk of liability since most of them will not register the equipment or send in any rebates for you. In other words, they want to double or triple their cost for the equipment and tell you it's the cost of doing business. I'm all for capitalism and I understand that companies have to make a profit and pay their employees, but come on. Charging 2 or 3x the cost of a unit? Any way, I did try and have come to the conclusion it's better to have everything taken care of by the company. NBF

Concern4Calvert

We just had ours replaced last week. 1785 for a new inside and outside unit and 2600 to have it installed.

NBF

$1785 each?

We just had ours replaced last week. 1785 for a new inside and outside unit and 2600 to have it installed.

Is that price for each unit? Can you tell us the brand and model, SEER, and size? So, did you actually buy the equipment yourself?

officeguy

Just to follow-up. I have replaced the equipment in the meantime. Didn't end up going with Trane, but I am very happy with the service I received on the replacement performed by Olympic Aire in White Plains. Very professional work. And I love the new electric bill, that old unit must have been low on refrigerant for a while.