The fight for gender equality comes to southern Maryland

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
http://www.somdnews.com/article/20150527/NEWS/150529393/1043&template=southernMaryland

Women continue to be paid less than their male counterparts in the workforce. In Maryland, that works out to be about 85 cents for every $1 a man makes.

What is so wrong with equal pay for equal productivity?

I don't think anyone can make a reasonable case that women are being exploited in the labor force.

Maybe on balance, across all job families, women are about as 85% as productive as men due to many factors, chief among them being fewer women get educated in fields like engineering that pay well.

I wonder if it may be no more complicated than that?

Equal pay “is not an abstract notion,” said Margaret Dunkle, chairwoman of the Calvert County Commission for Women. “It’s a real [necessity] for people to have a decent standard of living.”

Dunkle, who lives in Port Republic, was part of the team that wrote a paper in the early 1970s that became the blueprint for Title IX, which gave girls the opportunity to participate in sports in public schools.

Oh dear, they brought out a real feminist to fight this battle.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've yet to see any data showing that a woman is paid less than a man in the same exact job. I can't even figure out how I would be able to pull that off; we advertise a job and interview people for it. That job has a salary defined for it. What sort of bizarre mechanism or manipulation could I pull off at the point of a hire decision that would enable me to "adjust" that pay up or down based on gender??

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I dunno know, ask hildabeast ..... she pays women less to do the same JOBS as men

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've yet to see any data showing that a woman is paid less than a man in the same exact job. I can't even figure out how I would be able to pull that off; we advertise a job and interview people for it. That job has a salary defined for it. What sort of bizarre mechanism or manipulation could I pull off at the point of a hire decision that would enable me to "adjust" that pay up or down based on gender??

A quote from the article, "Keeth said she does not believe women are making less than men at the same job, but that women are more likely in positions with lower pay."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A quote from the article, "Keeth said she does not believe women are making less than men at the same job, but that women are more likely in positions with lower pay."

I saw that. I realize that a few people actually "get it". But that is not the narrative that is being pushed. The narrative that is being pushed implies or strongly hints at unequal pay for exact same job..which is usually bullcrap.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Because we're typically not talking about equal productivity.

I have been in the work force in SoMD for 28 years and have always been paid equally to my male direct counterparts. In many jobs around here, DoD contractor for example, you negotiate your pay to some extent. Men are typically better at that sort of thing than women, and that is purely the truth and not sexism. Also women typically give up pay for benefits, and that is not sexism either.

I get tired of that old canard about how women are paid less than men for equal work. Ms, Dunkle, NOW is dead. Please, I beg you, let it RIP. We're equal; mission accomplished; now you have to find another job.

Chris0nllyn

“I think women have not had the opportunity to get into some of the fields where the pay tends to be higher, or the encouragement,” Keeth said. At a young age, girls still are not encouraged to get into high-paying fields such as science, technology, engineering and math.

Seriously? May as well pull the race card too.

Claim black women essentially work for free.

Hijinx

If I were hiring a ditch digger I would hire a male. If I were hiring a Secretary I would hire a female.
In most cases the Secretary makes more than a ditch digger.

If you hire a male or female for the exact same job you would pay the exact same wage.
Does the State Police pay women less than men/ Does the County Police?

Better pay is more likely set by the job position than the gender of the employee.
I would bet the Walmart greeter gets the same pay, male or female.

That is unless you are Hillary who does pay women less . LOL I bet she changes that pretty quick now that it is out there.
Well maybe not, after all it's Hillary, she is untouchable.

edinsomd

If I were a businessman, and I could pay women less than men for the same job, you wouldn't see a swinging richard at my workplace.

And that's why this argument is complete BS.

BOP

http://www.somdnews.com/article/20150527/NEWS/150529393/1043&template=southernMaryland

I don't think anyone can make a reasonable case that women are being exploited in the labor force.

Maybe on balance, across all job families, women are about as 85% as productive as men due to many factors, chief among them being fewer women get educated in fields like engineering that pay well.

I wonder if it may be no more complicated than that?

Oh dear, they brought out a real feminist to fight this battle.

If it were really true that women get paid 85 cents to a dollar, you'd think men wouldn't be able to get hired just about anywhere. Common sense says "hire the woman, she's cheaper."

tommyjo

Amazing....you all missed the most important sentence in the article:

According to the American Community Survey, the median salary for a woman living in Charles County is $43,524, while a man’s is $54,603.

This clearly states that the ACS is not talking about comparable positions. They are referring only to median salaries.

Ms. Dunkle should become a member of this site...her inability to understand basic concepts or to twist a stat to fit a ridiculous political narrative would fit right in here.

Hijinx

Amazing....you all missed the most important sentence in the article:

This clearly states that the ACS is not talking about comparable positions. They are referring only to median salaries.

Ms. Dunkle should become a member of this site...her inability to understand basic concepts or to twist a stat to fit a ridiculous political narrative would fit right in here.

Why do you come here? Your posts always knock the site and the people in it.
You never stick around to defend your posts. You hit and run.

If you have such disrespect for everyone here why do you come here?

GregV814

how many middle linebacker women in the NFL are there??? so, the cheerleader and the girl in the hamburger stand should make 3M a season???? oooookkkkkkaaaaaayyyyy

SamSpade

Why do you come here? Your posts always knock the site and the people in it.
You never stick around to defend your posts. You hit and run.

If you have such disrespect for everyone here why do you come here?

Which is kind of pointless, because she's already come and gone.

But I wonder why too, because if I thought what she states, I'd either be frustrated or bored - and stop coming here.

Which leads me to believe that tj is an MPD.

Hijinx

But I wonder why too, because if I thought what she states, I'd either be frustrated or bored - and stop coming here.

She may indeed be an MPD but I am sure that although she does not post after spilling her thunder mug of vitriol she does read what people say about her posts.
Perhaps she is a freak who enjoys being humiliated.

stgislander

PREMO Member

Wouldn't it be funny is TJ is actually Tilted's alter-ego MPD.

Beta

Smile!
If I were hiring a ditch digger I would hire a male. If I were hiring a Secretary I would hire a female.
I'm quoting this because this is exactly what they perceive the problem to be. They believe women are "not given the opportunity" (or not given as good of an opportunity) to work certain jobs that are higher paying.

There's a potential bias between sexes for different jobs. Why are you hiring a male ditch digger and a female secretary? The ditch digger, I can see an argument where strength/stamina could play a factor. But I'm failing to see why a female would inherently be a better secretary. That's like saying you'd hire a male as an engineer. With those beings some of the best paying jobs, if women can't get those jobs because of a bias, that makes their argument about equal pay.