I just got fired from Game Stop

Xbox360

Major Nelson is my hero
I just got fired from Game Stop. They told me I was spending to much time on the internet at work. It doesn't make sense... in my down time at work I would visit video game sites to read up on all of the cool new games. I just don't understand. I tried to tell my boss that I was doing video game research to help my job. It didn't help. Does anyone know of any other video game related jobs out there?

bilbur

I just got fired from Game Stop. They told me I was spending to much time on the internet at work. It doesn't make sense... in my down time at work I would visit video game sites to read up on all of the cool new games. I just don't understand. I tried to tell my boss that I was doing video game research to help my job. It didn't help. Does anyone know of any other video game related jobs out there?

There is a comic book store in Leonardtown, I don't know if they do videogames but if not maybe you could offer to set up a videogame section and manage it. It seems to me that the 2 hobbies go together.

P.S. Sorry about loosing your job.

vince77

Sorry you lost your job but playing on the Internet is generally frowned upon in most workplaces. Your reason for doing it wouldn't have impressed me.

Xbox360

Major Nelson is my hero
Sorry you lost your job but playing on the Internet is generally frowned upon in most workplaces. Your reason for doing it wouldn't have impressed me.

I wasn't trying to trick my boss. I really do spend almost all of my time on the internet looking at video game websites such as gamespot, IGN, gamefront, super cheat, exc. I know more about video games than anybody else in that store.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Very sorry to hear about your job.

I've found that gamers tend to have a pretty aptitude for IT work in general. Have you considered training into that realm of work?

Xbox360

Major Nelson is my hero
No, not really interested in IT. I would like another job were I can talk about video games all day.

steppinthrax

Maryland (assuming you got fired there) is a at-will work state. They can fire you for any reason. Your boss can fire you for looking at him funny!!!! I've been to gamestop a few times and don't know where you are going to use the internet, are you spending most of your time in the back?

BigBlue

No, not really interested in IT. I would like another job were I can talk about video games all day.

I think he meant going to work for a gaming company ,it would be your job to do exactly that and yes it is part of IT work ,do you have a degree ?

Goldenhawk

I wasn't trying to trick my boss. I really do spend almost all of my time on the internet looking at video game websites such as gamespot, IGN, gamefront, super cheat, exc. I know more about video games than anybody else in that store.
Tough lesson to learn, dude. Sorry it cost you a job to learn it. I don't doubt you do know more, but that's probably not a primary job factor.

Unfortunately for you, your boss is probably more interested in you interacting with clients and selling games than he is interested in you knowing a lot about them. The average customer in the store isn't probably THAT impressed with your knowledge; he is looking for a good, quick deal, and can do his own research online. In fact, I would bet the boss doesn't want you to get into long detailed conversations about games, using your knowledge to teach the customers. That slows down his cash register line, and quite possibly costs him customers who get educated enough to go elsewhere for better deals (face it, Game Stop isn't the cheapest deal in town by a long shot).

This focus on clients over smarts is probably true of most businesses, too. For example, most employees at Best Buy don't really know all that much about the tech that they sell. If you're even reasonably tech-savvy, you can smell the BS 10 feet away. I wave off the help almost all the time, because I can tell they don't really know anything serious about the gear, even if I don't either.

Your word "almost" (as in almost all of your time) is worrisome. Boss is probably unhappy with the other fraction of your time. I suspect you've been warned about the issue, and it was more your refusal to follow the rules established for you, than anything else. Boss simply wants someone to always do what he says, because he can trust them more. Given a choice between an untrustworthy, rebellious guy with serious game smarts, and an average guy who simply follows instruction, he'll pick the other guy every time.

So if you want a job to fit your parameters, you'll have to either find one or create one. It's unlikely you can redefine a job to fit your interests.

GregV814

life is not a fantasy game. Its real. The man hired YOU to make more money for him than his salary to YOU. I guess you are under 25 and have the attitude that its all about YOU. Well skippy, it aint.

This_person

I am sorry about your job loss. Just out of curiosity, did you receive prior warnings, or was this a one-time thing?

Beta

Smile!

Stop wearing the shirt you wear all the time, buy a new one, and wear it to reapply at Game Stop. They'll never know!

The only other options around here are places like Best Buy or Walmart. :dead: