Bryans Road peeps: Who do you have for TV & Internet?

birdonamission

Coming from a Verizon Quantum FiOS situation in Anne Arundel County to no FiOS availability in the area of B.R. we are moving to. The county folk who track the ISPs' build schedules said Verizon told them they don't expect to build on our soon-to-be address until 2017. So meanwhile, I'll probably have to hobble something together in some kind of bundle with two or more outfits.

Thanks for any G2 on this!

Ginger0314

Coming from a Verizon Quantum FiOS situation in Anne Arundel County to no FiOS availability in the area of B.R. we are moving to. The county folk who track the ISPs' build schedules said Verizon told them they don't expect to build on our soon-to-be address until 2017. So meanwhile, I'll probably have to hobble something together in some kind of bundle with two or more outfits.

Thanks for any G2 on this!

It depends where in Bryans Road. Some have Verizon Fios others like us have Comcast the only other game in town and service is terrible. Just got rid of cable but had to keep WiFi and it is $90 a month. I couldn't find any other internet provider.

birdonamission

It depends where in Bryans Road. Some have Verizon Fios others like us have Comcast the only other game in town and service is terrible. Just got rid of cable but had to keep WiFi and it is $90 a month. I couldn't find any other internet provider.

Hi, Ginger.

Thanks for responding. I was thinking of DirecTV for TV and Verizon DSL for internet, but DSL may not be available due to the area being above the percentage threshold of people signed up (too many DSL subscribers will make it too slow for everyone). Problem is I'm spoiled for Quantum FiOS's 75 MB up / 75 MB down speeds so even if I can get DSL it will be like going back to the stone age. :) I might have to hold my nose and get Comcast until FiOS rolls down my new street. Mind telling me the Comcast speeds you're getting for the $90?

Thanks!

Edit: Reason speed is that much more "important" is because I want my Apple TV and Roku (streaming) to work nicely.

Last edited:

Ginger0314

Hi, Ginger.

Thanks for responding. I was thinking of DirecTV for TV and Verizon DSL for internet, but DSL may not be available due to the area being above the percentage threshold of people signed up (too many DSL subscribers will make it too slow for everyone). Problem is I'm spoiled for Quantum FiOS's 75 MB up / 75 MB down speeds so even if I can get DSL it will be like going back to the stone age. :) I might have to hold my nose and get Comcast until FiOS rolls down my new street. Mind telling me the Comcast speeds you're getting for the $90?

Thanks!

Edit: Reason speed is that much more "important" is because I want my Apple TV and Roku (streaming) to work nicely.
Not sure of the speed but we have Roku and Netflix no problem. We use a wireless antenna and get all the major channels.

birdonamission

Not sure of the speed but we have Roku and Netflix no problem. We use a wireless antenna and get all the major channels.

Thanks. Heard today from Verizon that their DSL service will not be available at the new address in Bryans Road, so looks like I'll have landline with them but will be bundling DirecTV with Comcast internet. I appreciate it!

SoMdDude

Why in the hell are you moving to that ghetto place? My ex in laws used to live there, it was nice for
a while, but went downhill fast... got so bad they moved to florida lol and DTV, I tired that once, service
was so bad I paid a year fees to get out of my 2 year contract!
West end of Waldorf has FIOS where i live off of 228 and 229

birdonamission

Why in the hell are you moving to that ghetto place? My ex in laws used to live there, it was nice for
a while, but went downhill fast... got so bad they moved to florida lol and DTV, I tired that once, service
was so bad I paid a year fees to get out of my 2 year contract!
West end of Waldorf has FIOS where i live off of 228 and 229

Ex-in-laws...lol. Say no more. ;) Anyway, the property and area in question does not fit your description whatsoever. Very nice setting on almost an acre. Quiet and peaceful dead-end street. We've looked at quite a few properties, including the Waldorf area of which you speak (nice, not bad - like the Berry Road access). Didn't "feel it" on any of them. Funny how underwhelming houses are looking at them in person compared to the slick photos and superlative descriptions on real estate websites, many in cookie-cutter, crowded & cramped subdivisions. The house in Bryans Road, not in a subdivision, is even nicer in person + great professional inspection results. So...to each his own, I guess.

FiOS availability is important, but not a deciding factor - and we're willing to wait until they come around. Apparently Comcast Xfinity internet has the speed I need, so they'll do for now. I only ever plan to speak to their obnoxious nazi customer service technicians like never once everything is up and running...lol. As for DirecTV, TV in general is "meh" - I bet out of the hundreds of channels, we probably only really like 20-30 of them, if that. My Apple TV and Roku are pretty good standbys if I get bored with the other stuff.

Ginger0314

It sounds like you live near me. Dead end street off of 210. Lots of older well built homes large property. We have lived here for 8 years. I wish we were closer to La Plata Waldorf I can do without but such easy access to DC. Best of luck in your new home.

officeguy

There are pretty much two troubled subdivisions and a troubled townhouse complex in BR. The rest isn't any worse than the rest of MD.

birdonamission

It sounds like you live near me. Dead end street off of 210. Lots of older well built homes large property. We have lived here for 8 years. I wish we were closer to La Plata Waldorf I can do without but such easy access to DC. Best of luck in your new home.

Howdy, neighbor! :)

Like you described... Right off of 210. Built in the 90's (very well-built, per the home inspector, who said he would not hesitate to live/own the house for how high the build quality is). The current and previous owners are also to be commended for the great job they did maintaining the entire property to date.

We like La Plata, too! Lovely little town with nice neighborhoods and homes. But alas, it was the extra time that would've been added to my commute living there compared to northern Charles County that ruled it out for us since it would've defeated the purpose of leaving Anne Arundel County to be closer to work.

Anyway, thanks, Ginger!