USS ship hits USS Arizona memorial

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Somebody's gonna catch hell for this. So close to Memorial day. CO is likely going to be relieved.

A U.S. Navy ship struck part of the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor on Wednesday morning.

Photos submitted show the naval hospital ship USNS Mercy sailing dangerously close to the USS Arizona Memorial.

Bill Doughty, a spokesman for Navy Region Hawaii, said that while the dock sustained significant damage and was later separated by workers from the memorial structure, "there appears to be no damage to the vessel." Navy divers continue to inspect the memorial, the front of which sustained "minor damage," and the sunken ship.

I'd hate to be that CO right now

MMDad

Lem Putt
Somebody's gonna catch hell for this. So close to Memorial day. CO is likely going to be relieved.

Fired, not relieved. It's a civilian master, not a CO. There's a CO of the medical department, but she is not responsible for navigation.

It's possible that a pilot is to blame, but not too likely.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Fired, not relieved. It's a civilian master, not a CO. There's a CO of the medical department, but she is not responsible for navigation.

It's possible that a pilot is to blame, but not too likely.

Actually the Mercy is a USNS ship, part of the MSC, not a USS ship. Most likely this guy is ultimately responsible, like you said the Master of the ship.

A Navy official later identified the master of the ship -- the equivalent of the commanding officer in the Navy -- as Capt. Thomas Giudice, a civilian mariner who's responsible for navigating the vessel.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It could be error(s) on the part of the tug boats that were reportedly maneuvering the vessel at the time. And might have been one of the tugs, not Mercy, that struck the memorial structure.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The article says a tug hit the structure. If a harbor pilot was aboard, they could bear the responsibility, but the ships captain can override the pilot at any time. Usually the only military on those ships are the medical staff, communicators, and maybe a FAST team for security.

Rommey

I hope the memorial doesn't stay closed for an extended period...we'll be there in July for a visit.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I just remember in places like Charleston and Norfolk that Navy tugs would maneuver ships in and out. If I remember correctly, the master was usually an E-8 or E-9 boatswain mate.