A Walk in the Woods trailer

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I hope the movie is as entertaining as the book. Bryson & Katz were a lot younger than Redford & Nolte.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The real life Steven Katz

Matt Angerer

Angerer is better known by the pseudonym Stephen Katz, Bill Bryson's hiking buddy in the 1998 best-selling book A Walk in the Woods. He has a prosthetic leg. His right leg was amputated a few years ago after a blood clot left his foot cold, he said. He has long, thin hair and a gray goatee.

But now Bryson had become a big deal in England after writing Notes From a Small Island. He asked Angerer to go along on a 2,200-mile trek on the Appalachian Trail.

Angerer had no idea he would become a character that lives on in humor travelogue lore.

"I thought I wasn't in half-bad shape," Angerer said. "I was never that at all."

They stumbled and bumbled half the distance through the trail, Angerer eating Little Debbie snack cakes and Bryson puffing a pipe, the smoke from which Angerer could smell as he lagged in the distance. Just when Angerer said he was getting the hang of the hiking thing, Bryson wanted to quit, only later to reconnect on the last stretch of trail.

"The book is true for the most part," he said, although there was a lot more cussing, a couple of teeth he got knocked out in a fall and the fact he wasn't as much of a womanizer as depicted.

Katz, Steven

bulldog

Saw this over the weekend. When my wife mentioned it to me I was thinking..."total chick flick" (knew nothing about the book), but it'll get me some points. Turned out to be a good movie with a few laughs and reminded me of when me and a buddy hiked the MD portion of the AT.