No victim, no crime. Silk Road creator sentenced to life

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
http://rt.com/usa/263213-silk-road-ulbricht-sentenced/

The 31-year-old California man learned his fate Friday afternoon in a New York City courtroom from Katherine Forrest, the same United States District Court judge who presided over the brief trial earlier this year that ended with Ulbricht being convicted of all seven crimes he faced with regards to running Silk Road –an underground website where merchants advertise hard drugs, hacking services and other illegal offerings in exchange for digital cryptocurrency.

Ulbricht was facing a mandatory minimum sentence of 20-years in prison, but prosecutors urged Judge Forrest to go beyond that; in a letter to the court filed earlier this week, Ulbricht pleaded with Forrest not to send him away for life.

I wonder why they didn't interview any victims of this heinous criminal? You know, the ones that were injured by people voluntarily associating with this Ross Ulbricht fella to buy their goods. I would have liked to have heard from them.

BOP

What part of "illegal" didn't you understand?

It's like the word "conspiracy" as it's used in legal applications. People are always getting convicted of "conspiracy," but I never understood why, really. Until you actually attempt to execute a criminal act, how can you be guilty of thinking about it, or even planning it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's like the word "conspiracy" as it's used in legal applications. People are always getting convicted of "conspiracy," but I never understood why, really. Until you actually attempt to execute a criminal act, how can you be guilty of thinking about it, or even planning it?

When there is a reasonable assumption that the crime they were planning was indeed going to be carried out, that is against the law. People get convicted of attempted murder and attempted rape all the time.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

there are no 'victims' of Ross Ulbricht alleged crimes, it would be like running a titty bar where bikers hangout ..... oh wait
analogous to 'copy right' infringement .... you didn't steal anything physical like robbing a 7-11 a copy was made
maybe Sony lost a potential CD Sale, but nobody stole the disc from Wal-Mart

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

This guy's mistake was trying to compete with the government sanctioned, and protected, pharmaceutical industry. He was siphoning off some of their profits. Plus, he made it hard for the government to track what he was doing.

Additionally, I think it funny that when people do not wish to have their web surfing and movements tracked and use a browser such as Tor for privacy and anonymity, that the internet becomes, "The Dark Net." Yup, place freedom and privacy loving people everywhere a stereotypical demeaning sounding group.

tommyjo

http://rt.com/usa/263213-silk-road-ulbricht-sentenced/

I wonder why they didn't interview any victims of this heinous criminal? You know, the ones that were injured by people voluntarily associating with this Ross Ulbricht fella to buy their goods. I would have liked to have heard from them.

Hell of an article...tremendous source...you taking the GRUPS course on how to find obscure, horsesh!t sources in order to make a weak political point (like your shadowstat garbage)?

After a month of testimony it only took the jury 3 hours to convict him.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Unadmitted by the authorities is the fact Silk Road was being used to market firearms which would be untraceable by the gun-grabbers in New York state.

tblwdc

Oh wait. You're not one of those milquetoasts who think "society" can be a victim, are you?

I'm not timid by any means, but I do believe society can be a victim. There are laws however, which don't have to have an individual victim. In this case, this guy understood he did wrong. He said, ""I wish I could go back and convince myself to take a different path," Now a different path is chosen for him. Good riddance.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I'm not timid by any means, but I do believe society can be a victim. There are laws however, which don't have to have an individual victim. In this case, this guy understood he did wrong. He said, ""I wish I could go back and convince myself to take a different path," Now a different path is chosen for him. Good riddance.

I realize that's a widely held belief, however I was taught to understand that the United States is a nation of individuals. Sure, there are laws which aim to protect "society", but that doesn't make them just.