BIG crabs

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wish I had a pic.

No. 2 son works on a commercial crab boat and just came in a bit ago and said he's never seen crabs as big as some they caught today..(6 bushels of them..and it was a short day due to weather). One was so big he said he stretched it across his chest and the claws went beyond his shoulders and with its claws stretched back around his waist, they nearly touched. He's a tall skinny lad but still...:shocked:

I hope they keep catching those. Prices are down already because the catch has been pretty good so far.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wish I had a pic.

No. 2 son works on a commercial crab boat and just came in a bit ago and said he's never seen crabs as big as some they caught today..(6 bushels of them..and it was a short day due to weather). One was so big he said he stretched it across his chest and the claws went beyond his shoulders and with its claws stretched back around his waist, they nearly touched. He's a tall skinny lad but still...:shocked:

I hope they keep catching those. Prices are down already because the catch has been pretty good so far.

A friend had kids out swimming near bridge last weekend and said water was clearer than he remembers in years is bay health improving?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A friend had kids out swimming near bridge last weekend and said water was clearer than he remembers in years is bay health improving?

It "seems" so to me. Clearer water longer (it's always cleared up in the coldest part of the winter. The algaes that cause the cloudiness are what all the phosphate and nitrate runoff would promote...)) and a lot more bottom grasses growing in our cove and others around here. Unfortunately, at the same time, loss of shore marsh and shore erosion seems to have accelerated for some reason...

bilbur

Wish I had a pic.

:yay::yahoo:

sm8

Now I really want some crabs. I will have to look around and see who has the best prices right now. That is unless any of you guys have a recommendation.

bilbur

I am hoping for a good run of soft crabs this year. A couple years ago I stopped eating them because I got ahold of an undercooked one but before that I was eating them every couple of weeks. I am hoping to get back to liking them because they are so good when they are cooked right. I will, however, test it this time to make sure it is cooked before I dive in.

Wish I had a pic.

No. 2 son works on a commercial crab boat and just came in a bit ago and said he's never seen crabs as big as some they caught today..(6 bushels of them..and it was a short day due to weather). One was so big he said he stretched it across his chest and the claws went beyond his shoulders and with its claws stretched back around his waist, they nearly.

They sell a cream for that. Takes a week or so to get rid of them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Who is they?

Exactly. Seafood is sold at market price..it's a commodity. Supply and demand. Nobody(s) can "jack up the price" of it..except perhaps in isolated and short-lived instances. There is the price the bushels are bought off the boat...roughly 130-140 right now. Then there is the wholesale price..about 170-180 right now...then there is the roadside retail price..something just under 200 "down here" and more "up the road"..and then you get in to the price per bushel cooked..price per doze cooked..etc etc. Didn't somebody post recently that they bought some cooked crabs at a crabhouse in Stevensville for $75 a dozen? Bet the price has come down some already.

mitzi

I had some over the weekend and they were unbelievable. Good size, packed with meat. Good price too.