Gate 3 0700, WTH?

glhs837

Power with Control
Backup was the worst since back when they cut the guards on the other gates back. Hit it at 0700 on Hermanville, was 15 cars deep on my side of 235, and it took three cycles to get through.

Beta

Smile!
Backup was the worst since back when they cut the guards on the other gates back. Hit it at 0700 on Hermanville, was 15 cars deep on my side of 235, and it took three cycles to get through.

So it's like any other gate at 0700? Sometimes with Gate 2 it feels like only 2-3 cars can get through in a cycle. :shrug:

glhs837

Power with Control
So it's like any other gate at 0700? Sometimes with Gate 2 it feels like only 2-3 cars can get through in a cycle. :shrug:

Not sure, had been my experience that it was worst (backed up about 3/4 of the way to 235, about 640. One reason I started coming in the gate around 655-0700. Figure the 645 mess was folks who had to be in by 0700. And it wouldn't pack up again til 715 or so, as the 0730 crowd rolled in. It's been the case recently that at 0700, the stack has been back to Mary Lynn or Janet roads, or about 1/3rd of the stack these past two days.

CrashTest

Give them time. It's only been 14 years since ID check went into effect. Eventually they'll get it figured out.

bulldog

Give them time. It's only been 14 years since ID check went into effect. Eventually they'll get it figured out.

Maybe, just maybe the security forces were responding to an incident elsewhere on the base and had to pull manpower from the gate(s).

No, that's certainly not it. It has to be because they can't figure out how to do their job. :crazy:

CrashTest

Maybe, just maybe the security forces were responding to an incident elsewhere on the base and had to pull manpower from the gate(s).

No, that's certainly not it. It has to be because they can't figure out how to do their job. :crazy:

Either way, just fanning the flames of BRAC.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Recently they started checking IDs at the commissary & exchange. They didn't do that before. They must have increased the security posture.

H

Hodr

Recently they started checking IDs at the commissary & exchange. They didn't do that before. They must have increased the security posture.

Must have missed the news articles about ISIS threats to specific military installations and personnel. Or the several e-mails from the base CO detailing the need for heightened security.

glhs837

Power with Control
Must have missed the news articles about ISIS threats to specific military installations and personnel. Or the several e-mails from the base CO detailing the need for heightened security.
Ah, no, didn't miss those, nor being in Bravo, both of which circumstances have obtained for a while now. Last week and the week before, not like this. So these last two days, not connected to those things, not directly anyway. Last time this gate got that bad, it was when they were down manning during the holidays, and all the Gate 2 and Gate 1 peeps were coming down clogging up my gate :)

H

Hodr

Ah, no, didn't miss those, nor being in Bravo, both of which circumstances have obtained for a while now. Last week and the week before, not like this. So these last two days, not connected to those things, not directly anyway. Last time this gate got that bad, it was when they were down manning during the holidays, and all the Gate 2 and Gate 1 peeps were coming down clogging up my gate :)

glhs837-

I was referring to the ID checks at the PX/Commissary (the quoted text from my post), not specifically the gate issues.

I assume they randomly pick a gate/line to screw with on a daily basis just to help alleviate their boredom.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I don't think they pull people off the gate, it's simply volume. My guess is because of the weather (lack of sun) people were running maybe a little late which caused more traffic at 0700 than normal.

BernieP

Resident PIA
glhs837-

I was referring to the ID checks at the PX/Commissary (the quoted text from my post), not specifically the gate issues.

I assume they randomly pick a gate/line to screw with on a daily basis just to help alleviate their boredom.

If anyone randomly screws with the public it's MD SHA. I think they've played with the timing on the lights on 235.

CrashTest

If anyone randomly screws with the public it's MD SHA. I think they've played with the timing on the lights on 235.

Impossible. Navy leadership and Civilian leadership are constantly telling us how they work hand in hand to keep things running smoothly.

H

Hodr

I know for a fact they screw with the timing on Pegg/235. Most morning you have around 5 second green, then 3 or so seconds of yellow for the Pegg rd. traffic. A couple of times a month they literally have a 1 second green and a 2-3 second yellow.

So on a normal day we can get 5-8 cars through per lane per light cycle, when they mess with it we literally get 1 or 2 cars.

wubbles

Every lane should have at least 2 sentries checking IDs. How many extra man hours are we talking here? A lot less than the people that start counting their hours when they hit gate traffic. I know those people are unethical but even doubling sentries during rush hour is a very small drop in the bucket compared to the morale boost alone.