Aldis??

Popster

Does anyone know when it will be open? Almost missed a great sale there; had my daughter pick up items in Langley. It will be nice to have a local store in California.

Edit: Aldi

BigBlue

Does anyone know when it will be open? Almost missed a great sale there; had my daughter pick up items in Langley. It will be nice to have a local store in California.

Would'nt shop there if you payed me .If you like it more power to you but I'll shop anywhere else but there ,nothing seems fresh and the ones that I have been in (Bowie and Brandywine) seem dirty.

Popster

Would'nt shop there if you payed me .If you like it more power to you but I'll shop anywhere else but there ,nothing seems fresh and the ones that I have been in (Bowie and Brandywine) seem dirty.

Whelp, I bought the last 5 chisel sets they had in stock for $6.99 for a set of 4. After lapping them and sharpening, they will last they rest of a person's life and do pretty much any task a woodworker demands of them. These are a fantastic bargain. I am giving the finished sets to my kids. My grandchildren may think of me in a hundred years when using them. lol

chisels.jpg

The cans of beets are cans of beets, what can I say. Eggs were eggs...... and so on. I agree that you have to shop carefully anywhere.

Last edited:

LtownTaxpayer

I'm looking forward to the opening as well. They have a nice Gluten Free line of products, grass fed ground beef, organic produce, and then the special deals. We got two laundry racks for air drying clothes that were made of metal instead of wood that have saved a lot of wear and tear on clothes as well as saving money from running the dryer. The last time I was in Brandywine, they said that the training would be happening at their store but they weren't sure when. The Aldi website doesn't show a grand opening for the California store yet. It will be nice to be able to stop in without making a trip up the road.

Restless

I stopped in the one in Brandywine today to see what it was like. I have a friend that loves Aldi's. I walked around for a few minutes to see what it was like. Honestly, I didn't think much of it. Most of the merchandise were unknown brands to me. Perhaps I just didn't take enough time to really look.

BigBlue

I stopped in the one in Brandywine today to see what it was like. I have a friend that loves Aldi's. I walked around for a few minutes to see what it was like. Honestly, I didn't think much of it. Most of the merchandise were unknown brands to me. Perhaps I just didn't take enough time to really look.

No , you did ,the one in Bowie is the same .

PeoplesElbow

Whelp, I bought the last 5 chisel sets they had in stock for $6.99 for a set of 4. After lapping them and sharpening, they will last they rest of a person's life and do pretty much any task a woodworker demands of them. These are a fantastic bargain. I am giving the finished sets to my kids. My grandchildren may think of me in a hundred years when using them. lol

View attachment 108575

The cans of beets are cans of beets, what can I say. Eggs were eggs...... and so on. I agree that you have to shop carefully anywhere.

FYI those chisels get great reviews over on lumberjocks.com

PeoplesElbow

It is a place to buy canned food, dry food such as instant mashed potatoes etc I think most of the people here are mistaking it for a full service grocery store which it is not.

The one I frequented in college was always clean and the cheapest place around to buy milk, it is still only about $2.50 a gallon while Walmart just across the street is over $3.50.

Most of the food I have bought there has been of the same quality as any named brand food. Some of the things such as the chocolates, wine, and biscottis were real gems.

OldHillcrestGuy

I wish they would put one on the lot where McKays was suppose to have gone in Charlotte Hall.

For all those who have been wanting the high end grocery store, looks like you may get your wish. The builders of St. Charles want to have one in a new shopping center they plan to build in the Fairway Village area. I believe it might be on the opposite corner of the Dash In at St Charles Parkway and Billingsley Rd.

OldHillcrestGuy

It is a place to buy canned food, dry food such as instant mashed potatoes etc I think most of the people here are mistaking it for a full service grocery store which it is not.

The one I frequented in college was always clean and the cheapest place around to buy milk, it is still only about $2.50 a gallon while Walmart just across the street is over $3.50.

Most of the food I have bought there has been of the same quality as any named brand food. Some of the things such as the chocolates, wine, and biscottis were real gems.

Been buying our milk at the Brandywine Aldi since it opened. In fact, as I type this the wife is on her way to Costco and Aldi right now.

Hessian

Aldi has saved us thousands since they opened one in brandywine. If the brands don'the look familiar, that is ok....they are marketing them from the midwest. Lots of imported German & Belgian goods. Very happy they are coming to st. Marys.

Popster

I will be more than willing to shop there. Luckily, my daughter visits fairly regularly from Tacoma Park and brings groceries to us. She is able to shop at some of the Korean markets (H-Mart) and the Spanish Markets (Bestway). Instead of a buck for a small bunch of scallions we get five for a buck. Bestway has fantastic ground beef; the price went up on the last batch to $1.49/lb. It is terrific on the grill! Limes are often five for a buck and lettuce, parsley, and cilantro are equally reasonable. How about great tasting yellow delicious apples for $.79 / lb. Great prices on squid and shrimp! What's not to like. I also watch Nick's for a good sale and stock up the freezer.

I'm a passable cook and believe in the James Beard philosophy that great food is good ingredients cooked beautifully. We eat fish and crabs from the Bay a few times each week and tend a vegetable garden. Fresh food from these stores completes our diet. Locally, BJ's is a go to for us for meat.

I for one hate to go into a Wegmans. I think I go into sensory overload and get run over by suburban shopping carts ;)> The waste from the store must be incredible and the consumer has to be the one footing the bill for it. I do however like their selection of cheese.

Darn, now I am getting hungry.

lovinmaryland

I will be more than willing to shop there. Luckily, my daughter visits fairly regularly from Tacoma Park and brings groceries to us. She is able to shop at some of the Korean markets (H-Mart) and the Spanish Markets (Bestway). Instead of a buck for a small bunch of scallions we get five for a buck. Bestway has fantastic ground beef; the price went up on the last batch to $1.49/lb. It is terrific on the grill! Limes are often five for a buck and lettuce, parsley, and cilantro are equally reasonable. How about great tasting yellow delicious apples for $.79 / lb. Great prices on squid and shrimp! What's not to like. I also watch Nick's for a good sale and stock up the freezer.

I'm a passable cook and believe in the James Beard philosophy that great food is good ingredients cooked beautifully. We eat fish and crabs from the Bay a few times each week and tend a vegetable garden. Fresh food from these stores completes our diet. Locally, BJ's is a go to for us for meat.

I for one hate to go into a Wegmans. I think I go into sensory overload and get run over by suburban shopping carts ;)> The waste from the store must be incredible and the consumer has to be the one footing the bill for it. I do however like their selection of cheese.

Darn, now I am getting hungry.

I try to get up to this international market several times a year. http://www.freshworld.us/main/main.phtml Wish there was one closer to us I would do most of my grocery shopping there. Any type of fruit or vegetable your heart desires they have it there! And the prices :faint: its insane to think how much we pay down this way for fresh veggies compared to this store! They also have a HUGE meat & seafood counter. I usually spend 2-3 hours in there every time I go because there is just SOOOO much stuff to see!

I just hope that whatever additional chain opens in St. Mary's that it is a full-size store. Our BJ's is half the store that the Waldorf BJs is... same with Bed, Bath & Beyond, JC Penney's, Sears, etc. :boo:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I just hope that whatever additional chain opens in St. Mary's that it is a full-size store. Our BJ's is half the store that the Waldorf BJs is... same with Bed, Bath & Beyond, JC Penney's, Sears, etc. :boo:

But it is what the people want. :shrug:

lucky_bee

RBF expert

^^This. If we could just get one full-size grocery store, same for the other stores, instead of all these half-sized stores, I wouldn't have to go to 4 different places for my groceries. I'd rather have a full-sized home goods store than a 1/2 target + a 1/2 BB&B + a 1/2 Big Lots + a shiatty excuse for a Marshalls, etc.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I believe that is the point, they only carry "their brand".