Food Banks in Somd

steppinthrax

I have a friend who lost his job and has no food. He's on unemployment now but he's trying to make that stretch out. What are the nearest food banks and what are the requirements? Can he just bring his unemployment slips?

Thanks

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
St. Anthony's in North Beach has one as does Chesapeake Church at the intersection of 2 and 4. He could call either one.

In fact the Dragonboat races next week in North Beach is done in in concert with the End Hunger in Calvert County campaign.

sm8

I was typing as I was listening to my dad talk so sorry if any of it is confusing or rambly. He works at the Great mills one most days.

June 17th 5-7 pm produce give away at St. Pauls in Leonardtown be there early because line gets long.

Saturday June 13, 11-1 large food giveaway Old rescue squad building on Greatmills Rd.

St. Pauls in Leonardtown Canned goods on Thursdays and Lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Greatmills food pantry just show ID first time to register and they do food give away on Wed and Friday, you can only get it once a week though, They also do lunch daily.

LtownTaxpayer

Not sure how up to date this is but here is this listing: http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/pio/docs/Foodpantries.pdf

I do know that Helping hands has moved to Mechanicsville at the bottom of the hill by Immaculate conception church. This is the website for the Great mills one: http://www.stmaryscaring.org/

St. Mary's Caring serves breakfast and lunch Monday through Saturday each week. I believe they are also considering adding an evening meal, but I'm not sure if that is up and running. I've donated cash and food to St. Mary's Caring through the years. Good people trying to make a difference.

It might help if the original poster provided a geographic area to make it easier to provide suggestions.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I have a friend who lost his job and has no food. He's on unemployment now but he's trying to make that stretch out. What are the nearest food banks and what are the requirements? Can he just bring his unemployment slips?

Thanks

Looks like he has a lot of options

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I believe Chesapeake church in northern Calvert County has a food bank, also. Good luck to your friend.

sm8

Mt.Zion UMC in Mechanicsville does non perishables on Tuesdays. You can go there every other week.

bilbur

If he needs a 1 time only gift of money for a specific bill, St. Johns in Hollywood is part of an organization that does that. There are restrictions, it is one time only, it is for only under a certain amount ($100 or $150??), it has to go directly to the billing place (i.e. electric bill or rent/mortgage), and I think there are some others. I think they will also do gift cards for grocery stores in some cases. A friend of mine volunteers for them and they get a lot of requests. Good luck, hope he finds a job soon.