OPM Hacking attack

PeoplesElbow

Anyone get notified that their info has been compromised? I just heard a rumor that it is all government employees.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
My email doesn't say it's all, just that if any of us were hit we would get an email from the OPM. So far nothing.

And watch out for the scams that have started. Today I received an email stating I might have been compromised. Claims it is from OPM but the address of the email is not a .gov address, it is a .com address. Tries to get you to enroll in a "LifeLock" type program. Be vewwy vewwy careful.

PeoplesElbow

And watch out for the scams that have started. Today I received an email stating I might have been compromised. Claims it is from OPM but the address of the email is not a .gov address, it is a .com address. Tries to get you to enroll in a "LifeLock" type program. Be vewwy vewwy careful.

Well unfortunately there is a legit email from a .com address that was originally reported as a phishing attempt. The address on OPMs website had a typo in it..... on and on the mess goes. It is a fuster cluck of the highest order.

The email will come from opmcio@csid.com and it will contain information regarding credit monitoring and identity theft protection services being provided to those Federal employees impacted by the data breach. In the event OPM does not have an email address for the individual on file, a standard letter will be sent via the U.S. Postal Service.

http://www.opm.gov/news/latest-news/announcements/

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well unfortunately there is a legit email from a .com address that was originally reported as a phishing attempt. The address on OPMs website had a typo in it..... on and on the mess goes. It is a fuster cluck of the highest order.

http://www.opm.gov/news/latest-news/announcements/
Well then the only useful information obtained in that email (Yep, that is who it was from) is that when you log on to your OPM account you will need to change your password.

EDIT: Just logged on to OPM site, there was a security warning of a few paragraphs, but no request to change password. I changed mine anyway, checked address and bank account info and all was still correct.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
This thing is a total mess from the local clear to OPM.

L E A D E R S H I P

Shish Boom Bah

We should go back and impose feudal Japanese law, then they can kill themselves.

You get an email, that's not digitally signed telling you you'll get an email. How the F__ Blue Blazes are we suppose to know which one is real.
Wonder how many bonuses were paid out for the great work at OPM and Interior
Probably contracted it out to some Canadian company run by the Chinese government

IMNEMT-B

I was one that was affected. I received an email from OPM and also Treasury (where I work). OPM is providing for 18 months, free credit security watches on all my accounts. We have a lot of folks that received the email.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Kind of makes one wonder if this isn't an orchestrated bail out for identification security providers.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I was one that was affected. I received an email from OPM and also Treasury (where I work). OPM is providing for 18 months, free credit security watches on all my accounts. We have a lot of folks that received the email.

I was wondering who was going to provide the 'credit security' protection. A civilian I worked with said they were going to be covered regardless of whether their identity was hacked. I'm a contractor and my company has said nothing about providing protection; so I'm wondering if contractors will be provided protection from the OPM.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

What about family members and their ssn's? Saw a security expert on FOX, citing his sources in the govt, yesterday afternoon saying this particular breech has been going on for a year before the govt finally admitted it, and that would enable the hackers to easily permeate all kinds of other layers. He also put out that some 30-40 agencies use OPM record keepers as their primary asset.

Trying to find the report. Found this on yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/digest/20150611/union-hackers-personnel-data-federal-employee-10594687

That is scary.

Last edited:

IMNEMT-B

Colleagues,

I know many of you are concerned about the OPM breach of information that is impacting current and former federal employees. Treasury leadership is united in its commitment to safeguard your privacy and we are working with OPM to ensure you are quickly alerted and empowered with the information you need to protect yourself. There are two pages I want to be sure you are aware of, where you can find the most updated information about this event and more information on what you can do to prevent exploitation of your identity and your position:

• The OPM Data Breach page on Treasury’s the Green.
• The Latest News page on OPM.gov.

Earlier this week, OPM began contacting impacted employees via email and/or USPS mail. These communications will continue through at least June 19th. While OPM is leading the government-wide effort, here are three actions that you can take now:

• Please be wary of phishing attempts that may look like the OPM message (go to the OPM Data Breach page to learn more);
• Check your “junk” and “spam” email folders on personal and work accounts, in case an OPM notification was filtered;
• Immediately take cybersecurity and privacy training, required by June 30th for all Treasury employees.

Again, we recognize that the OPM breach may have negatively impacted you, and we will continue to do everything we can to keep you informed moving forward.

Brodi Fontenot
Assistant Secretary for Management

I just heard it is every single government worker, military retiree and federal retiree.

Doesn't even begin to address spouses and children.

So you are a government employee and all your info got stolen and you are protected/monitored for identity theft, what about your dependents?

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/unio...nowledged-every-worker-s-data-stolen-1.351852

I was part of the recent hack on Anthem med insurance. We were given 2 years of monitoring under AllClear protection, and at the time we signed up, you could add spouses and dependents, just had to register each one separately. It would be nice if they allowed you to do this under this hack.

Beta

Smile!
OPM is providing for 18 months, free credit security watches on all my accounts.
:bigwhoop:
That's public knowledge, so they'll wait for 19 months and then what??

I heard they got everyone's employment history, so they can spear-phish. And it doesn't have to be an e-mail you get tomorrow, I heard it could come in 5, 10 years. :doh:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
... my employer sent out a notification about the breech, we employ a lot of former / retired DOD Personnel

BernieP

Resident PIA
With the data they pulled they can create a solid identity for anyone they want to plant in this country, you simply can't judge a persons place of origin by their last name.