Since when...

... did this become acceptable language? I've noticed it a lot, not just here, but in many casual reading items. My old boss used to do this as well. Example from a recent post:

Some people need told

I would write it as "some people need to be told", or "some people need telling".

In many phrases where "to be" should be used, it's been dropped from the sentence.

Drives me crazy when people say "Where you at?" or "conversating". I guess proper English is a thing of the past. And people can't spell worth a damn anymore!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Drives me crazy when people say "Where you at?" or "conversating". I guess proper English is a thing of the past. And people can't spell worth a damn anymore!

Things will get worse with Common Core. My daughter told me that some of her friends that have kids in school are not being corrected for their spelling. The idea is they will figure out how to spell overtime, and learn to write correctly. What?!

xobxdoc

Things will get worse with Common Core. My daughter told me that some of her friends that have kids in school are not being corrected for their spelling. The idea is they will figure out how to spell overtime, and learn to write correctly. What?!
That should be " over time " , not " overtime "

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
... did this become acceptable language? I've noticed it a lot, not just here, but in many casual reading items. My old boss used to do this as well. Example from a recent post:

I would write it as "some people need to be told", or "some people need telling".

In many phrases where "to be" should be used, it's been dropped from the sentence.

You missed a perfect opportunity to use "to be or not to be"

R

rhenderson

"Conversating" has been added to the dictionary. The language problem is that people think faster than they can type and few proof read their work before posting it.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds

"Some.People.Need.Told. What the hell kind of language is that? Not a complete sentence and period between every word?

And in verbal communication why are people dropping the pronunciation of "t". It sounds like they are talking with a mouth full of ####.

BigBlue

You have no idea what it is that you are talking about .You and your daughter are both incorrect.

BigBlue

Their phone's autocorrect will write it correctly. They'll never figure out how to spell.

I agree .One major reason children shouldn't have phones in school.Schools have always had standards whether you like "common core "or not "spelling" is pretty basic and many of the problems that teachers of today are facing are learned at home ,not at school.

Last edited:

BOP

"Conversating" has been added to the dictionary. The language problem is that people think faster than they can type and few proof read their work before posting it.

That's the spelling problem.

The language problem is that they're either too stinking lazy to use proper grammar or they haven't been around people who know how.

R

rhenderson

That's the spelling problem.

The language problem is that they're either too stinking lazy to use proper grammar or they haven't been around people who know how.

I agree that a lot of the grammar errors come from not knowing and not having been around people - especially parents - whose use good grammar. However, you can leave out words and phrases and commit other grammatical errors when you are trying to capture your thoughts in writing - especially in the first draft. I do it all the time and I spent nearly 40 years reviewing technical documentation for clarity, completeness and accuracy of written and graphic data.

jrt_ms1995

No, the language problem is that non-words such as "conversating" are routinely added to dictionaries.

GregV814

well, here's an oldie but still relevant, " aint no use in bein' one if ya can't act like one"...

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Every location has its unique way of adding to the language and vocabulary. "Up in here" is something new to me. But, I'm from the deep South, where we cut lights off, put up clothes, carry you to the store and are fixing to do things. Southern Maryland certainly adds some color to the English.

catlingirl

Its funny, my 13 year old corrects me if I say certain words. She tells me the right way to say something. Drives me crazy. :)

phobos512

It's a regional construction that is spreading (unfortunately).

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24163/using-ed-vs-ing-in-the-needs-washed-construction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_English#grammar

My ex's family spoke in this manner. It drove me nuts, because it sounds frankly like the person wasn't properly educated.

It's a regional construction that is spreading (unfortunately).

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24163/using-ed-vs-ing-in-the-needs-washed-construction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_English#grammar

My ex's family spoke in this manner. It drove me nuts, because it sounds frankly like the person wasn't properly educated.

That's exactly what I was talking about. :yay:

One of the links you referenced says it's a northeast thing. I was raised on Long Island and spent a lot of time in the northeast, VT, MA, etc... but never heard this until I lived here, and really only just within the past 5 years or so. And you're right... I hear it as uneducated, lazy.