Diching this POS ipad and iphone

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Every 5 minutes it decides to give me the "A problem was detected with this webpage, so it was reloaded". #### you Apple, you had your chance.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not a big fan of i things. iPod sucked; iMac sucked; iTunes sucks; I wasn't madly in love with my iPad (the Kindle Fire is MUCH more stable and independently functional). Given all the i suckage, I never found a compelling reason to try my luck with iPhone.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm not a big fan of i things. iPod sucked; iMac sucked; iTunes sucks; I wasn't madly in love with my iPad (the Kindle Fire is MUCH more stable and independently functional). Given all the i suckage, I never found a compelling reason to try my luck with iPhone.

I'm done trying to convince myself that it's better than anything else. Apple doesn't seem to care if it sucks so it's time to move on.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I am in the market for another tablet - tell me more! (Foxhound has the Kindle) I could use the reader part, but I really do want a good Tablet for traveling. Is it very good as both? (Surfing, FB, forums,e-mail, etc)

Beta

Smile!
Every 5 minutes it decides to give me the "A problem was detected with this webpage, so it was reloaded". #### you Apple, you had your chance.

I saw something similar this weekend. Someone handed me their phone asking for help. They opened a webpage where an iPhone pop-up kept popping up saying that there was some type of error and the only way to fix it was calling the Apple support center at some 1-800 #. Had to restart the phone and then sneak into safari to close the webpage before it could reload again. Never seen something that ridiculous on an Android :doh:

Another observation I had this weekend. While the whole "auto-sync" is pretty convenient, it sucks. I had a couple of different iPods and have assisted other people with iPad/Pod/Phone devices. It worked nice a few times, but the sync always manages to get screwed up somehow. Then they make it exceedingly difficult to access the harddrive on the devices to copy stuff to/from the device. Android is very simple -- it's like an external HD. Once you know where stuff is stored (that can be a little tricky), it's easy to add/remove files. They should at least make that option easier (I think it can be done but I believe you have to hack the device or use an app that doesn't really get the job done). Oh and the worst part about auto-sync is if you don't really want it to sync, but really just wanted your computer to charge your phone. :banghead:

I got a cheap tablet from a company I'd never heard of. It occasionally has glitches, but it works almost as well as the expensive ones for half the cost. :shrug:

I got a cheap tablet from a company I'd never heard of. It occasionally has glitches, but it works almost as well as the expensive ones for half the cost. :shrug:

That's what I found too. It's more a matter of which OS, not which hardware. You've got basically 3 choices: Window, iOS or Android. Choose one based on the features or comfort level, then find a device that meets your needs.

Bann

PREMO Member
I don't know if I can explain this situation accurately, I would have to ask Thing1 and/or Foxhound to see if I am recollecting it accurately. Thing1 had a problem recently with his iPod 5th Generation.

A bit of backup info: Thing1 is VERY, extremely, extremely - and I mean that - hard and tough on charging cords for his iPod. He's just hard on electronics, period. ANY trouble whatsoever that he has: be it the cord bends a certain way or the cord feels loose, it could be anything really - it makes him very OCD and he must "fix" it.(or thinks he can!) He messes and messes with something and then - of course, it will get broken. This is a lifelong issue and there is no real way to get around it, except to make sure he can get or has a supply of these things. Ever since he got his 2nd iPod (before that it was Gameboys) I make HIM replace the electronic if it gets broken. That includes his laptop. So there is no real expense to me - it's mostly the time involved when he gets irritated with them and I (we) have to help him work it out.

When he was younger, it made NO difference what I did or how many times he had to pay for something to be replaced (birthday or Christmas money, etc) He still couldn't control himself "in the moment". He has gotten better at keeping an electronic gizmo longer than a year, so that is definitely progress! BUT!! This does not include the iPod cords. OMG, he goes through them like crazy. It's just part of doing business anymore. :shrug:

About a month ago - Foxhound bought him a charging cord which was "braided" instead of the usual plastic. We thought that would be the ticket. Nope. He came back from the Summer Games in Towson a couple of weeks ago and said the iPod kept telling him that the cord was not "iPod Certified" or something like that. ?? FH bought it from Amazon, I believe and we both looked at the product description - it said it was compatible. I am not sure what happened to the cord to cause it to do that - but once this happens - Thing1 is unable to stop himself - he is convinced something is wrong and he just makes it worse. So then the cord got messed up somehow.

Could this be similar to what you're talking about with other Apple products and is it possible to correct?

Beta

Smile!
I don't know if I can explain this situation accurately, I would have to ask Thing1 and/or Foxhound to see if I am recollecting it accurately. Thing1 had a problem recently with his iPod 5th Generation.

A bit of backup info: Thing1 is VERY, extremely, extremely - and I mean that - hard and tough on charging cords for his iPod. He's just hard on electronics, period. ANY trouble whatsoever that he has: be it the cord bends a certain way or the cord feels loose, it could be anything really - it makes him very OCD and he must "fix" it.(or thinks he can!) He messes and messes with something and then - of course, it will get broken. This is a lifelong issue and there is no real way to get around it, except to make sure he can get or has a supply of these things. Ever since he got his 2nd iPod (before that it was Gameboys) I make HIM replace the electronic if it gets broken. That includes his laptop. So there is no real expense to me - it's mostly the time involved when he gets irritated with them and I (we) have to help him work it out.

When he was younger, it made NO difference what I did or how many times he had to pay for something to be replaced (birthday or Christmas money, etc) He still couldn't control himself "in the moment". He has gotten better at keeping an electronic gizmo longer than a year, so that is definitely progress! BUT!! This does not include the iPod cords. OMG, he goes through them like crazy. It's just part of doing business anymore. :shrug:

About a month ago - Foxhound bought him a charging cord which was "braided" instead of the usual plastic. We thought that would be the ticket. Nope. He came back from the Summer Games in Towson a couple of weeks ago and said the iPod kept telling him that the cord was not "iPod Certified" or something like that. ?? FH bought it from Amazon, I believe and we both looked at the product description - it said it was compatible. I am not sure what happened to the cord to cause it to do that - but once this happens - Thing1 is unable to stop himself - he is convinced something is wrong and he just makes it worse. So then the cord got messed up somehow.

Could this be similar to what you're talking about with other Apple products and is it possible to correct?

Here's my guess: Either A) it "works" with Apple products but the Apple product complains, or B) it got damaged.

I had a recent incident with my phone charger where I yanked it by mistake while it was charging and I damaged the insert. The phone detected that something was amiss and it indicated I should instead use the factory charger. The charger still worked (maybe a bit slower than it had previously), but I was getting the annoying message. No big deal though. Eventually I broke it and luckily had the charger cord from my previous Android made by a different company, inserted that cord, and everything worked fine (didn't even get the messages about the factory charger anymore).

So even if it says "error this is the wrong cord", if it's charging, then a company can claim it "works with Apple" even if it's not "iPod certified". If it charges, that's all that matters anyway.

That gets me to another complaint about Apple. I've owned a handful of different iProducts and each one of them seems to have a different charger!!! My original iPod had a different charger than my Nano. My partner's iPhone 2 may have had the same plug as the iPhone 3, but then the iPhone 5(?) had yet another charger. For awhile, every phone company had their own charger so that was just a way of life, but now most phones use micro-USB so it's really easy to borrow other people's charger or buy something that's readily compatible (besides...you guessed it...Apple products!!!).

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

I have gotten he same warning when using non apple chargers with my ipod, and even with my droid when I use a cheapy cord. Usually it charges anyway but flashes some message that it isn't "optimal" or some such. Generally, I ignore it and it still works fine. If the message is going to bother him, I wonder if the apple support could help. Im willing to bet they have some militarized version of the cord they sell or could suggest. its worth a try

Bann - About the cord issue with your son's iPod Touch: A few years back Apple redesigned its charging cable. They had used the same 30-pin connector for many years, but it wasn't going to be up to the task going forward and the size of it was limiting their design options. Frankly, they probably should have switched from that old design earlier but they held out as long as they could because there were so many devices out there that used that connector and they didn't want to introduce something new - for obvious reasons they wanted to keep standard across all their devices for as long as they could. And there isn't any standard design out there that's any good - the micro and mini USB connectors that so many other electronics use (because they exist already and are easy to incorporate into a design) are just garbage designs.

Anyway, the new design - the lightning cable - is pretty sophisticated and significantly smaller than the old design. And it's reversible, it has a processor in the cable that actually changes signal flows based on which way it's plugged in. People have always made cheap knock-off cables, most of them are fine and don't present much danger to users or devices. However, some of them are so poorly made that they do - and that was particularly going to be a problem with the way the new lightning cable worked. There have been issues with fires that turned out to be caused by very poorly made cables.

So Apple only authorizes third parties to make lightning cables after they verify that they're made to certain standards. And there's an authorization chip in those cables that lets the device know that they are authorized cables. So when an unauthorized cable gets plugged into a device, it recognizes that and gives the user a notification. For the most part those cables still work, but at least the user is on notice that the cable may or may not be up to standards - it may or many not be safe. Most likely it is fine, but that's the small risk you take if it isn't Apple authorized (really, you take some small risk with most anything anyway). They may say they're compatible with Apple devices, but that doesn't mean they're authorized - it just means they've been able to make the cable actually work with Apple devices.

I've had a lot of luck finding high quality and authorized cables on sale for $6 or $10 (from Staples online, e.g.), so for my purposes it's never been worth it to buy one that isn't authorized.

Beta

Smile!
Anyway, the new design - the lightning cable - is pretty sophisticated and significantly smaller than the old design. And it's reversible, it has a processor in the cable that actually changes signal flows based on which way it's plugged in. People have always made cheap knock-off cables, most of them are fine and don't present much danger to users or devices. However, some of them are so poorly made that they do - and that was particularly going to be a problem with the way the new lightning cable worked. There have been issues with fires that turned out to be caused by very poorly made cables.

Indeed. Their new cable is the best thing I've seen on the market. So I guess they have that going for them. But it's still not universal, which is frustrating.

Bann

PREMO Member
I have gotten he same warning when using non apple chargers with my ipod, and even with my droid when I use a cheapy cord. Usually it charges anyway but flashes some message that it isn't "optimal" or some such. Generally, I ignore it and it still works fine. If the message is going to bother him, I wonder if the apple support could help. Im willing to bet they have some militarized version of the cord they sell or could suggest. its worth a try
Thanks Beta and LT. I think they make a LOT of money on those accessories.

Even if the message isn't totally correct, it makes him cray cray. :ohwell:

It would be nice if they had a military-grade cord - I should definitely look into that. I don't think I've actually researched them with that criteria.

Hannibal

I've had numerous items under both Android and I-phone. Loved my Andriod bsaed phones when I had them (work). However, the new company went with I-phones, etc. I am still a fan of the Android in terms of layout for phones, etc. but prefer the I-items in terms of packages. My wife has an I-phone, I-pad. I now have an I-phone and I-pad. The kids have I-pods.

Everything is linked together. We are setup that we have our own work calendars (seperate from one another) but have a family calendar which helps tremendously. Not to mention Facetime which is great when travelling.

I guess it all boils down to overll value for what you need/use it for.

Beta

Smile!
Thanks Beta and LT. I think they make a LOT of money on those accessories.

Even if the message isn't totally correct, it makes him cray cray. :ohwell:

It would be nice if they had a military-grade cord - I should definitely look into that. I don't think I've actually researched them with that criteria.

http://9to5toys.com/2014/09/24/roun...lightning-cables-for-your-new-iphone-66-plus/

Some options at that link. I don't know what you had specifically so you may have tried something on there already :lol:

I've had numerous items under both Android and I-phone. Loved my Andriod bsaed phones when I had them (work). However, the new company went with I-phones, etc. I am still a fan of the Android in terms of layout for phones, etc. but prefer the I-items in terms of packages. My wife has an I-phone, I-pad. I now have an I-phone and I-pad. The kids have I-pods.

Everything is linked together. We are setup that we have our own work calendars (seperate from one another) but have a family calendar which helps tremendously. Not to mention Facetime which is great when travelling.

I guess it all boils down to overll value for what you need/use it for.

Dumb questions...
1) Can't you use google calendars to sync? What's the advantage of an apple calendar?
2) What's the advantage of facetime over Skype (which is a more common application)?

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just curious what the differences are that you've found made iEverything more useful.

Bann

PREMO Member
I've had a lot of luck finding high quality and authorized cables on sale for $6 or $10 (from Staples online, e.g.), so for my purposes it's never been worth it to buy one that isn't authorized.

I missed this paragragh - reading from my small cellphone window. :lol:

Anyhoo, the cord manufacturer said it was authorized...but I guess not.

Price doesn't matter - we've bought expensive ones that didn't work longer than the cheapie ones. It where the problem comes in is usually at the place right beside the connector. It ends up bending and cracking eventually. He uses the iPOD a LOT.

It where the problem comes in is usually at the place right beside the connector. It ends up bending and cracking eventually. He uses the iPOD a LOT.

I had this issue with my laptop. I've since stopped using the laptop while the cord was connected. Charge it, disconnect and use it. Finish using it, but it back on charge. Minimize the cord flex.

I missed this paragragh - reading from my small cellphone window. :lol:

Anyhoo, the cord manufacturer said it was authorized...but I guess not.

Price doesn't matter - we've bought expensive ones that didn't work longer than the cheapie ones. It where the problem comes in is usually at the place right beside the connector. It ends up bending and cracking eventually. He uses the iPOD a LOT.

Maybe it was authorized then. If so it should have a logo on it that looks something like this, but even with a logo something can be counterfeit. I guess it's possible that it was an authorized cord but got damaged, e.g. the authentication chip got crushed, so that the iPod no longer recognized it.

image.jpg

Anyway, some people are just hard on cables. When that's the case I'm not sure it makes enough difference to buy a military grade cable, as you put it. Some cords are more durable than others, sure; but you can only do so much to make them so. Someone that's hard on cables might still tear them up. If it were me I'd just try to find some decent cords on sale and stock up on them, accept that they're consumables that will need to be replaced from time to time. The cords you can get from places like Best Buy or Staples should all be authorized ones so that you don't get that message, and like I suggested if you keep an eye out you can find them cheap enough that it's reasonable to buy a half dozen or so. Cords sold by Amazon themselves should also be legit, but it wouldn't surprise me if their third party sellers sometimes sell counterfeit stuff.

Most of the people I know have done well with the lightning cables. They're generally more durable than the 30 pin connectors they replaced, I know lots of people that were constantly tearing those things up. But even still, if someone's rough on cables they're probably gonna tear them up no matter what kind of cable they get. So I wouldn't be inclined to spend a bunch of money on any cable. Like you suggested, sometimes the cheap ones last longer than expensive ones.

Bann

PREMO Member
I had this issue with my laptop. I've since stopped using the laptop while the cord was connected. Charge it, disconnect and use it. Finish using it, but it back on charge. Minimize the cord flex.

Of course. We recognize that, and tell him, as well, but part and parcel of Thing1 being Thing1 is that he doesn't always WANT to wait. He isn't always impatient, but most times -yeah, he is. :lol: