To the Wonderful SUV Driver

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
On Route 235 Northbound at 6:00am this morning...

I was two cars back this morning when I saw you pass the guy in front of you doing the speed limit in the school zone.

Since you are obviously unaware, even when there aren't any flashing lights, passing in a school zone is prohibited. If you weren't sure, the solid double yellow lines also mean you shouldn't pass.

Not to mention, you obviously were speeding since I lost sight of you in the distance within a moment.

If I had been closer, I would have happily taken down your tag number, and vehicle make information and pulled over and called the police.

There are kids every morning through there at that time of day, waiting on the school bus, on both sides of the road. No matter what your excuse was, it's not good enough.

If you were running late for work, or you hate being behind somebody doing the speed limit, I have a few suggestions. Leave for work earlier, and pass only in passing zones, when it is safe to do so. I think you need a driving refresher class.

Since a lot of folks don't travel that route at that time of day, I'm going to be intently keeping an eye out for you. Odds are you travel that route frequently as well. If I see you acting the fool again, I will happily stick my nose in your business and report you to the authorities.

Freefaller

I was two cars back this morning when I saw you pass the guy in front of you doing the speed limit in the school zone.

Since you are obviously unaware, even when there aren't any flashing lights, passing in a school zone is prohibited. If you weren't sure, the solid double yellow lines also mean you shouldn't pass.

Not to mention, you obviously were speeding since I lost sight of you in the distance within a moment.

If I had been closer, I would have happily taken down your tag number, and vehicle make information and pulled over and called the police.

There are kids every morning through there at that time of day, waiting on the school bus, on both sides of the road. No matter what your excuse was, it's not good enough.

If you were running late for work, or you hate being behind somebody doing the speed limit, I have a few suggestions. Leave for work earlier, and pass only in passing zones, when it is safe to do so. I think you need a driving refresher class.

Since a lot of folks don't travel that route at that time of day, I'm going to be intently keeping an eye out for you. Odds are you travel that route frequently as well. If I see you acting the fool again, I will happily stick my nose in your business and report you to the authorities.

While I understand your frustration and can sympathize with the your sentiment, calling the police will do no good. All it will do is tie up the system for a few minutes without the possibility of anything coming from it. It's not the fault of the police, that's the way the law is written. Police can not issue a citation or make an arrest for a misdemeanor offense that they do not personally witness. While it may make you feel better to call the police, that's all it will do. Make YOU feel better. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So speeding and passing people in a school zone is okay in your book. Nice to know.

I'll report you too.

awpitt

Main Streeter

It's the line on the road that determines if you're allowed to pass on not. The school zone has nothing to do with whether or not you're allowed to pass.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It's the line on the road that determines if you're allowed to pass on not. The school zone has nothing to do with whether or not you're allowed to pass.

So, it wasn't clear that it was a school zone with double solid yellow lines from my post? It wasn't clear from my post that the driver was speeding and passing in said school zone? And you think it's okay to pass and very obviously speed in a school zone with double solid yellow lines?

Are you all idiots who drive like that? Or are you just being asses because of wording?

Again, in a school zone area with solid double yellow lines and children on both sides of street waiting on school buses.

Explain to me what's acceptable about passing and driving at a high rate of speed in that situation?

MMDad

Lem Putt
So, it wasn't clear that it was a school zone with double solid yellow lines from my post? It wasn't clear from my post that the driver was speeding and passing in said school zone? And you think it's okay to pass and very obviously speed in a school zone with double solid yellow lines?

Are you all idiots who drive like that? Or are you just being asses because of wording?

Again, in a school zone area with solid double yellow lines and children on both sides of street waiting on school buses.

Explain to me what's acceptable about passing and driving at a high rate of speed in that situation?
Where did anyone say anything about it being acceptable?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

captain-obvious.jpg

terbear1225

wow, defensive much. No one has said that the person was driving acceptably, or that they think it's ok to speed or pass on a double yellow. They did point out that ABSENT the double yellow, there is nothing illegal about passing in a school zone.

Calling the cops about a traffic violation is unfortunately not going to be effective either as the police cannot issue a citation for traffic violations that they did not witness.

pebbles

I don't think anyone said it was acceptable, just that being a school zone isn't part of the law. It is against the law to speed & to pass on a solid yellow line but the fact that is a school zone has nothing to do with the law.

Also the calling the police/non-emergency line is NOT a waste of time. Chances are the person driving crazy won't stop there so if they are on the lookout for said vehicle they might catch them in the act as well. I've called idiots in several times, & I know at least once where the person was seen driving erratically & got a citation for it. Doesn't always happen but it can!

awpitt

Main Streeter
So, it wasn't clear that it was a school zone with double solid yellow lines from my post?

It was clear. I didn't take issue with that. I did take issue with your statement that, "passing in a school zone is prohibited", which is not true. Passing is prohibited when solid yellow lines are present. It has nothing to do with whether or not it's a school zone.

It wasn't clear from my post that the driver was speeding and passing in said school zone? And you think it's okay to pass and very obviously speed in a school zone with double solid yellow lines?

Please reread my post. If you do so, you'll see that I never expressed approval of what the other driver was doing. Too bad a cop wasn't around to catch them.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Question: Are there any school zones in the area with an associated passing zone? I can't remember if there are or not, I don't think there are, but I am not sure.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Question: Are there any school zones in the area with an associated passing zone? I can't remember if there are or not, I don't think there are, but I am not sure.

Good question. I've never really paid attention enough to see if all school zones have double solids.

Goldenhawk

Pretty easy to check with Google Maps. The photo resolution is good enough to see.

Assuming that the original post was talking about Spring Ridge school, which as far as I know is the only major school along 235 where the road is not divided and passing is even possible, it is a solid double yellow line immediately in front of the school, but changes to a passing-northbound just north of the school.
https://goo.gl/maps/L1iBP

But St Michael's School is also a possibility, at the extreme southern end of 235; in that case there is a PASSING ZONE DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL. This completely invalidates migtig's assertion that it's illegal, because the state's own roadway signage allows it.

This Google Street View image shows a school zone with a passing road marking in the same image.
https://goo.gl/maps/iCWF1

H

Hodr

Calling the cops about a traffic violation is unfortunately not going to be effective either as the police cannot issue a citation for traffic violations that they did not witness.

You should spread the word; all of those people getting tickets from red light and speeding cameras can safely ignore them. Unless they have deputized the cameras.

Joking aside, witness testimony is allowed and often essential for many criminal complaints, what makes you think driving unsafely is a special case?

somdwatch

Before calling everyone idiots, when did you have your speedometer calibrated last?

2. There is a law on the books (believe it or not) according to a truck driver friend, that if a vehicle is obstructing traffic, you may pass, even on a double yellow line.

3. Karma's a Beotch!

awpitt

Main Streeter
Before calling everyone idiots, when did you have your speedometer calibrated last?

2. There is a law on the books (believe it or not) according to a truck driver friend, that if a vehicle is obstructing traffic, you may pass, even on a double yellow line.

3. Karma's a Beotch!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that your truck driver friend is misinformed.

Freefaller

You should spread the word; all of those people getting tickets from red light and speeding cameras can safely ignore them. Unless they have deputized the cameras.

Joking aside, witness testimony is allowed and often essential for many criminal complaints, what makes you think driving unsafely is a special case?

Hodr:

Please educate yourself before coming on here and making stupid comments on a subject where , apparently, you're ignorant. The courts have ruled on speed cameras and red light cameras and ruled that they are legal. I don't like them but I know what the law is, in reference to them.

In regards to several others who have made the statement about police officers needing to personally witness misdemeanor violations in order to issue a citation or make an arrest, they are correct. That is the law. Ask any police officer. Try to get your legal education from someplace other than Judge Judy or watching Law and Order!

FED_UP

For the most part I think the majority of drivers are extra careful in school zones especially at school start and letting out. OP just has some possible nut that transits that area and ignores precaution, especially around kids.