GoPro Catapult launch

This_person

[video=youtube;mzB3UOTZXiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mzB3UOTZXiA[/video]
NEWPORT NEWS, Va., June 17 (UPI) -- The U.S. Navy tested out the electromagnetic catapult for launching aircraft from the carrier USS Gerald Ford by using it to fling a GoPro camera at 160 mph.

The test video, shared on YouTube by shipbuilder Huntington Ingalls Industries, shows the catapult's-eye-view as the camera is flung into the water at 160 mph.

Susan Ford Bales, President Gerald Ford's daughter, gave the launch signal for the test.

This_person

The Navy previously shared video of the catapult being tested from other angles.
[video=youtube;rOijb3JPCe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rOijb3JPCe4[/video]

blacklabman

I believe you are correct. Please forgive the reporter.

By the way, those things are called dead-loads. They launch various weights from all four cats at various launch speeds. The dudes at Lakehurst take that data and prepare a performance chart. Subsequent trials using PAX aircraft (at sea) update the charts prior to Fleet operations. Been there many times.

nutz

Strapping your ass to a rocket is scary enough. Placing the rocket onto a catapult and then trying to land that rocket back on a rocking and rolling platform, that takes something I don't have. Those pilot's deserve our utmost respect.

This_person

By the way, those things are called dead-loads. They launch various weights from all four cats at various launch speeds. The dudes at Lakehurst take that data and prepare a performance chart. Subsequent trials using PAX aircraft (at sea) update the charts prior to Fleet operations. Been there many times.

I was below you, giving you the steam....

I think the EMALS is pretty amazing, and that was why I posted this link/video at all. They went through a lot of work to make this a viable option, including a redesign of the electrical distribution system. The difference to the pilot and airframe is likely to be as drastic as when they went to the fat cats.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I dunno ... but I guess if there is steam for the Catapult, there is steam to generate electric for the LEM

This_person

I dunno ... but I guess if there is steam for the Catapult, there is steam to generate electric for the LEM
EMALS is electronic. No steam.

When they're building the ship, the steam is supplied from off-hull for cat testing anyway.