"journalism"

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
So I check somdnewsnet every day to see local news. They are getting sort of ridiculous and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issues I do with it **Ill preface this with I do not know anyone in the story i'm posting, its just an observation.**

This for instance:

http://smnewsnet.com/archives/320583/couple-caught-stealing-pet-supplies-in-california/

"The female was detained and released, and it is unknown at this time if charges are pending against her. Police on scene were heard telling her she would be charged later by criminal citation with theft, and that she was seen holding the backpack while Smith placed items in it."

FIRST...I am already a little iffy on why they insist on posting a bunch of pictures of people who commit petty crimes. I need to see pics of child molesters and murderers..not shoplifters..that picture is there forever, no matter if the person is ever CONVICTED or not. And if they weren't, or had it expunged that picture is still there; a definite threat to regular employment and continuing a productive life.

Second..the italized text is what was in the article.. and they decided to plaster her picture on the internet associated with a crime because they "overheard" she was getting a citation?

I already know the arguments somders will have "well don't break the law then" but this sort of proves you can have your reputation smeared, along with high def photos without a conviction of any sort. and if she does not get a citation or is proven to not have committed a crime, gets the arrest record expunged, that pic will still be there as I know for a fact they will not remove it, only add a small statement to that affect if you push it and hound them.

Beta

Smile!
That's what counts as journalism these days. And for a local news source, where crime is basically the only thing people are interested in, this is the best they could come up with.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People like to rubberneck. We *say* we don't want to see photos of car wrecks, but that's clearly not true based on the number of views those photos get. SMN is just giving the people what they want.

Also he reports what he sees on the scene, not just the official press release. If he heard the cop tell a suspect something, he'll report it.

As far as removing stories after a certain time period or when the record has been expunged, we have a minor disagreement here at Somd.com regarding that. Personally, I would delete them because usually it's not interesting enough that anyone would care years later, and why keep the guy famous in the search engine for something minor? But I don't make that decision, so...

:shrug:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
People like to rubberneck. We *say* we don't want to see photos of car wrecks, but that's clearly not true based on the number of views those photos get. SMN is just giving the people what they want.

Also he reports what he sees on the scene, not just the official press release. If he heard the cop tell a suspect something, he'll report it.

As far as removing stories after a certain time period or when the record has been expunged, we have a minor disagreement here at Somd.com regarding that. Personally, I would delete them because usually it's not interesting enough that anyone would care years later, and why keep the guy famous in the search engine for something minor? But I don't make that decision, so...

Right, he's reporting what he hears. So would it be ok if I started a website, took pics of people at walmart and reported their conversations? I understand "public place" and all of that but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I like a lot of the content on the site, but its starting to look like a gossip rag vs a news site.

Hank

my war
Right, he's reporting what he hears. So would it be ok if I started a website, took pics of people at walmart and reported their conversations? I understand "public place" and all of that but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I like a lot of the content on the site, but its starting to look like a gossip rag vs a news site.

Starting?!?!

bilbur

Sorry but shoplifters deserve to be shamed. Retail theft totals in the millions every year in MD and the cost of the security cameras, security personnel, and lost merchandise is passed on to us, the consumer. This doesn't count the tax money they waste for processing and going through the court system all because they chose to steal instead of paying like everyone else. I can't stand a thief and think a good public shaming is what they deserve since we can't put them in stockades anymore. If the person is truly needy there are so many charity organizations in the area for food and cloths there is no need for them to steal. As for posting the names of the ones who get ticketed for pot, that shouldn't happen.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Sorry but shoplifters deserve to be shamed. Retail theft totals in the millions every year in MD and the cost of the security cameras, security personnel, and lost merchandise is passed on to us, the consumer. This doesn't count the tax money they waste for processing and going through the court system all because they chose to steal instead of paying like everyone else. I can't stand a thief and think a good public shaming is what they deserve since we can't put them in stockades anymore. If the person is truly needy there are so many charity organizations in the area for food and cloths there is no need for them to steal. As for posting the names of the ones who get ticketed for pot, that shouldn't happen.

Why not?

bilbur

Now that it has been decriminalized it is just a ticket so it would be like posting everyone who gets a speeding ticket or jaywalking ticket. I have no problem with posting the ones who are over the ticket-able limit but if it is less than an ounce I don't think it should be posted. Just my opinion, but it really doesn't affect me either way since I don't do it.

inkah

I actually like the idea of reporting what you see vs simple regurgitating of police press releases (which can also be poorly written, and in some cases, outright lies). Although it seems to me, with a lot of these local "news" joints, they could all stand to do additional research, interviews and definitely follow-up. Our local "news" too often seems to me to be more like a facebook post from the nosy neighbor gossip than real information.

glhs837

Power with Control
I would MUCH rather see names and faces of the stupid little druggies and dealers running around than I would shoplifters.

We should perhaps draw the distinction between "druggies" and those who might get caught with an unlit joint. I would like to see a pic of the guy who was smoking crack while in the middle of a high speed chase. Or the guy who decided that while drunk, it was a great idea to fight the cops. The guy who was caught for 12 over the limit on 235 when it's not crushed with traffic? Not so much.

bilbur

I would MUCH rather see names and faces of the stupid little druggies and dealers running around than I would shoplifters.

I guess everyone has their own idea of what crime is worse than others. I feel being in possession of a joint affects a lot less people than a common thief. The money that the thief costs the stores gets passed on to all of us.

inkah

I guess everyone has their own idea of what crime is worse than others. I feel being in possession of a joint affects a lot less people than a common thief. The money that the thief costs the stores gets passed on to all of us.

I guess I really hate that "head in the sand" mentality of drug use

IneedSkrimps

Would you also like the names of people who drink alcohol? Because that's about as harmful as marijuana.

Last edited:

bilbur

I guess I really hate that "head in the sand" mentality of drug use

No head in the sand, I have just done extensive research on Marijuana due to a family member with cancer and found that smoking weed is much better for you than drinking alcohol and if ingested instead of smoked it is better than cigarettes. I decided not to just blindly believe the ridiculous anti marijuana propaganda that has been going on since the 50's. As for other drugs, they should remain illegal due to their addictive and harmful properties, my objections were based solely on Marijuana which should not be even in the same category as other hard drugs.

BOP

No head in the sand, I have just done extensive research on Marijuana due to a family member with cancer and found that smoking weed is much better for you than drinking alcohol and if ingested instead of smoked it is better than cigarettes. I decided not to just blindly believe the ridiculous anti marijuana propaganda that has been going on since the 50's. As for other drugs, they should remain illegal due to their addictive and harmful properties, my objections were based solely on Marijuana which should not be even in the same category as other hard drugs.

Racism, back when there was real racism (as opposed to disagreement), is the reason for the anti marijuana attitudes today. That doesn't mean people today are racist just because they are anti marijuana, but it's the genesis of the attitude toward pot.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

You're kidding, right? Why should they be excluded?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Do you have the links to your research? I'd like to see them, as I've never come across that when I've researched it. Are you saying that marijuana is better for anyone, or just good for alleviating pain associated with cancer?

bilbur

Do you have the links to your research? I'd like to see them, as I've never come across that when I've researched it. Are you saying that marijuana is better for anyone, or just good for alleviating pain associated with cancer?

It has many medicinal benefits. For cancer patients it relives pain, makes them hungry, relaxes them, and there are many more. For kids with epilepsy and seizure problems it takes a kid from having 10 seizures a day down to 0 to 1 a day. People have found benefits and curative properties for many eye issues, PTSD, and a whole host of other issues. Here is the link to WebMD , they only recognize a few uses but they are finding new uses every day. It is better for pain patients because pain pills will kill a persons liver and they are addictive while weed is not harmful if ingested and is not physically addictive. We would know a lot more uses by now if people would have medically legalized it decades ago. As for what I said about smoking cigarettes, it has less carcinogens than tobacco. The comparison to alcohol, there are many studies that have shown it is less damaging to the body to ingest it every day as opposed to getting drunk every day. Oh and lastly you can't OD on it which is something that is very possible with pain pills, anxiety medication, and alcohol. I am not saying everybody should do it but they should have the option, if not for personal use then medically. I went through thousands of links on my research and I can give you some of the better ones when I get home, I just don't want to look them up at work. If you have ever watched a loved one waste away while undergoing chemo you would understand why I did my research. It is cruel and inhumane not to medically legalize a drug that will drastically help people in his condition. Even his DR and multiple nurses have unofficially told him if he can find it, then use it but he says he hasn't broken the law in almost 80 years and he isn't going to start now.