Home Internet Service

lovinmaryland

Who do you use? Are you happy w/ price, speed, service?

I've never had internet at my home before and am interested in getting service but I really don't know where to start. Is it the same as cell service where you get so many GB per service month? Do you have to have a home phone line? I'm so :confused:

bilbur

I've never had internet at my home before and am interested in getting service but I really don't know where to start. Is it the same as cell service where you get so many GB per service month? Do you have to have a home phone line? I'm so :confused:

Verizon DSL, $65 including phone service without long distance, and it works for what I use it for which is just general surfing. I would recommend a better service if you are a gamer or require copious amounts of bandwidth. As for quality, I live in Wildewood with underground lines and it has only gone out 2 or 3 times over 10 years.

FED_UP

Basically landline/DSL (modem) service is cheap and slower. Like Bilbur mentioned if you need a lot of band usage you should go broadband. Also connecting to internet via smart phone is an option, not all smart phones can do this.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I have Verizon DSL and phone service. $40/month. We don't have cable, so we use that for streaming. We stream on 2 tvs and iPads at the same time and haven't had any issues.

Beta

Smile!

I use Metrocrap. It's pretty decent...goes down once in a blue moon. No limit in data, no home phone line...I don't even have cable with them. Just internet. I want to say it's $50+/month so there may be cheaper options out there -- it just depends on where you live. My options are limited.

lovinmaryland

I use Metrocrap. It's pretty decent...goes down once in a blue moon. No limit in data, no home phone line...I don't even have cable with them. Just internet. I want to say it's $50+/month so there may be cheaper options out there -- it just depends on where you live. My options are limited.

I think mine are also I just checked w/ Verizon and they aren't out where I live.

So not limit in data? I think w/ the kids that might be the best option then.

Beta

Smile!
I think mine are also I just checked w/ Verizon and they aren't out where I live.

So not limit in data? I think w/ the kids that might be the best option then.

The only thing you have to worry about is speed. Depending on how fast you want the internet (which may include a division amongst multiple people) it will impact the price they charge. I think I went with a middle package but I don't remember.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
We use Metrocast and pay $52.95 for high speed (Up to 20 Mbps x 2 Mbps) the next level up is high speed ultra (Now up to 75 Mbps x 5 Mbps) I have no idea what the #'s in parenthesis mean, lol. We have a family of 4, 4 smartphones, laptop, desktop, tablet and and Xbox and PS3 that Netflix is used on. Haven't noticed any problems.

lovinmaryland

The only thing you have to worry about is speed. Depending on how fast you want the internet (which may include a division amongst multiple people) it will impact the price they charge. I think I went with a middle package but I don't remember.
I went w/ Metrocast thanks for all your help! :smile: :smooch:
We use Metrocast and pay $52.95 for high speed (Up to 20 Mbps x 2 Mbps) the next level up is high speed ultra (Now up to 75 Mbps x 5 Mbps) I have no idea what the #'s in parenthesis mean, lol. We have a family of 4, 4 smartphones, laptop, desktop, tablet and and Xbox and PS3 that Netflix is used on. Haven't noticed any problems.

I have no idea either. I just called and got Metrocast and went for the package one notch under yours. We don't have computers or tablets just the phones so they suggested that one.

PeoplesElbow

I went w/ Metrocast thanks for all your help! :smile: :smooch:

I have no idea either. I just called and got Metrocast and went for the package one notch under yours. We don't have computers or tablets just the phones so they suggested that one.

Only phones? You are paying way too much just for wifi for a phone.

Goldenhawk

We use Metrocast and pay $52.95 for high speed (Up to 20 Mbps x 2 Mbps) the next level up is high speed ultra (Now up to 75 Mbps x 5 Mbps) I have no idea what the #'s in parenthesis mean
Mbps = Megabits per second. There are 8 bits per byte. So download speed, how fast stuff arrives at your computer, is 20/8 or about 2-1/2 megabytes each second. Upload speed, how fast your computer can push data back up to the server,is about 1/10th of that. Upload speed is far less important for most people. Download is important if you do lots of video chat or Netflix or YouTube. 20 is fast enough for a small family for most purposes. If you have three teens and they all Skype and Netflix at the same time, you may want faster.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Mbps = Megabits per second. There are 8 bits per byte. So download speed, how fast stuff arrives at your computer, is 20/8 or about 2-1/2 megabytes each second. Upload speed, how fast your computer can push data back up to the server,is about 1/10th of that. Upload speed is far less important for most people. Download is important if you do lots of video chat or Netflix or YouTube. 20 is fast enough for a small family for most purposes. If you have three teens and they all Skype and Netflix at the same time, you may want faster.

Thanks for explaining it. We are looking into dropping DTV and streaming stuff from Netflix, Hulu, etc. I'm wondering if we should bump our internet too? Sounds like it.

Peepaw95

I could not help you with your question but I have 1 for you. If you do not have internet in your home how could you have 15,488 posts on this site? Just wondering!

mitzi

Thanks for explaining it. We are looking into dropping DTV and streaming stuff from Netflix, Hulu, etc. I'm wondering if we should bump our internet too? Sounds like it.

Hulu is ad after ad after ad with the same ones over and over You can't FF or skip them either. I wouldn't recommend it except for an occasional catch up on a show.