Frog legs...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...so, I run out to the store last night around 11:30 and it's a minor blood bath on my front porch. Something got ahold of a toad and had started eating him and, obviously, took off when it hear me coming. I presumed skunk but didn't smell anything. In any event, I went to kick the carcass off the porch but...he moved. He was not dead yet. Opened up, missing most of one leg. Gasping. My first thought was to stomp him out and end his misery but I don't ascribe to that. I want my last breathe, however painful it may be and left him be hoping him being alive would ensure he at least didn't go to waste.

Come back home, he's still there. Head to bed an hour later and, door closed, I can see out the top and, sure enough, skunk is back and chewing on him.

Things I learned;

There is a good bit of blood in toads.

Skunks can not chew very good, at all. I had assumed they had strong jaws and could tear up some food. Not so. He seemed to be gumming the thing and took a LOT of work to finish getting a leg off.

Skunks are actually very good looking animals. He had a cool stripe down the center of his nose and a nearly fully white back.

Skunks don't seem to notice artificial light. I flicked the light on two or three times just to see how he reacted and absolutely nothing. No visible evidence he noticed at all.

This skunk can't see very well with the porch light on. I watched for a bit and, finally, he just grab ahold of him and took him off to eat somewhere else. When he started to walk off, he bumped into a stool on the porch and seemed to braille method his way around it.

I considered, briefly, getting the shotgun and disposing of the skunk but decided otherwise. Very mellow mood last night. That was one of my favorite toads but, skunks gotta eat, too.

So, there''s that. :buddies:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Skunks have periodically gotten in to our chicken coop and killed several of our chickens. We thought it was a fox, but the game camera confirmed it wasa skunk. Besides, skunks, foxes, and ground hogs have different kill characteristics.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Skunks have periodically gotten in to our chicken coop and killed several of our chickens. We thought it was a fox, but the game camera confirmed it wasa skunk. Besides, skunks, foxes, and ground hogs have different kill characteristics.

Yeah, I shot a racoon a few weeks back because of the birds and because he was roaming around during the day and I considered offing the skunk for the same reason. I hope I am not playing with fire but I've lost one bird in 3 years. The geese are great guards of the flock.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Skunk noticed the light, he was just like, "What are you gonna do about it? #### you, I'm a skunk. Go peddle yer papers."

If he was staggering, there is a possibility he is rabid. You might want to take him out if you see him again.

Roman

Years ago, my Dad mowed the leg off a toad by accident of course. To our surprise, that toad lived and took up residence under the Ivy that was growing on a retaining wall. S/he lived there for about 4 years.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We saw a bunch of frogs on our walk last night. I can't even remember seeing 1 in all the other walks. Once in a while there will be a singular toad but never frogs. They all hang out in the retention pond peeping to each other. I guess the rain brought them out. I' going to be very concerned if I see a lot of locusts today.

Roman

I like frog legs. Use to go gigging them in the canals in AZ.
I never gigged them, but I was the best Frog Catcher in my circle of frog-catching friends, who happened to be boys, when I lived in Rome (Roman) New York!! I was really proud of that.

RPMDAD

I remember eating frog legs at Chesapeake Bay Seafood house, they were pretty good, but not as good as the crab legs and shrimp.

Roman

I remember eating frog legs at Chesapeake Bay Seafood house, they were pretty good, but not as good as the crab legs and shrimp.
Frogs and turtles are probably my favorite of all animals. I couldn't eat them for some reason. My Grandfather tricked me when I was very young, in to eating a frog leg, and when he told me, I was scarred for life.

PeoplesElbow

One night I went out to my car without shoes on, it was after midnight I stepped in something squishy and I thought oh great dog####. I looked at the dark blob i stepped in and suddenly it moved. It was a toad/frog and its insides had been squished out of its mouth, it was hopping around with its guts hanging out of its mouth. Poor kermit didnt stand a chance as I was going for 300 back then.

Roman

One night I went out to my car without shoes on, it was after midnight I stepped in something squishy and I thought oh great dog####. I looked at the dark blob i stepped in and suddenly it moved. It was a toad/frog and its insides had been squished out of its mouth, it was hopping around with its guts hanging out of its mouth. Poor kermit didnt stand a chance as I was going for 300 back then.
I got a toad stuck between my flip-flop & foot once. That wasn't pretty.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I got a toad stuck between my flip-flop & foot once. That wasn't pretty.

:lol: Sorry, but I just got a mental picture of that happening to me and me jumping around on one leg trying to fling the flip flop off. :jameo:

Homer J

Power Chord
I was leaving work one day and saw what appeared to be a dead black snake in the parking lot. Looked like he had tried to eat a large frog and choked on it, as the back legs were still sticking out if the snake's mouth. Guy I worked with ran over it on his way out. When he did, the pressure built inside the snake to the point that it blew off the snake's head with a very loud pop.

Not really relevant to the thread. Just wanted to share.

Roman

I was leaving work one day and saw what appeared to be a dead black snake in the parking lot. Looked like he had tried to eat a large frog and choked on it, as the back legs were still sticking out if the snake's mouth. Guy I worked with ran over it on his way out. When he did, the pressure built inside the snake to the point that it blew off the snake's head with a very loud pop.

:faint:

PeoplesElbow

Wow did not know a snake could choke