Wall Street Article

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Racingwolf
Article

Make sure you read the whole article. Makes you wonder about our "better" security at the airports.

Can't read the whole article. I get to part where LA is in sight, and the next page won't load up. :cussing:

What's the upshot?

sifl

The new tactic is to have a group of guys bring bomb components on an aircraft and assemble it in flight. They have been doing dry runs all over the world. The guys on her flight were doing a dry run but were released because we can't discriminate against the peace-loving Arab.

Warron

The article read like a lot of paranoia all wrapped up in a package of more paranoia.

It was some nice drama though.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Originally posted by Warron
The article read like a lot of paranoia all wrapped up in a package of more paranoia.

True.

I think I would have felt much the same, though. If this is the way the terrorists are trying to get us I hope they grab them.

ylexot

Super Genius
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

After 9/11 we had pre-boarding screening and people complained because it took too long to board.

My preference is to bring back the pre-boarding screening, but also implement the "trusted traveler" system. I'd subject myself to extremely stringent background checks (already have for work) to bypass the pre-boarding screening (still go through the initial screening). I fly a lot and while the searches, etc are inconveniet, I also understand the need and support the screening (even if I'm subjected to it severeal times a day). The problem is the minority (at least I think they are the minority) complain about it. As usual, the squeeky wheel gets the oil to the detrement to the rest of us.

Racingwolf

If I was on a plane and saw that I would be paranoid too!!

sifl

I see the line to start #####ing about the next terrorist attack and why didn't anyone do something to stop it and why are Arabs with Syrian passports even allowed into the US is already forming.

Warron

Originally posted by ylexot
After 9/11 we had pre-boarding screening and people complained because it took too long to board.

I don't know. I believe somewhat in security. But when it takes longer to get on the plane then the plane ride and your going from Washington to San Diego, I think there is some kind of a problem.

That was the experience of my last trip to an airport. Got to the airport at 5 am for an 8 am flight. The check in terminal wasn't even in sight when my flight left at 8. And barely made it to the 11 am flight.

ylexot

Super Genius
I don't know. I believe somewhat in security. But when it takes longer to get on the plane then the plane ride and your going from Washington to San Diego, I think there is some kind of a problem.

That was the experience of my last trip to an airport. Got to the airport at 5 am for an 8 am flight. The check in terminal wasn't even in sight when my flight left at 8. And barely made it to the 11 am flight.
That is definitely not typical based on my experience at probably ~20 different airports and probably over 100 flights since 9/11. I typically get to the airport about 2 hrs prior and am waiting at the gate reading with about an hour or more to spare. The worst time I had was coming into Miami on an international flight with about an hour to get to the next plane. I had to go through immigration, get my bags, have them checked, drop them off, go through security and get to the plane. I barely made it, but I did. One trick is that if you are on a plane that is boarding, they usually take you to the front of the lines.