Sweet Tea to be banned in South Carolina

GregV814

Sweet Tea, a main staple in the South has enraged the NAACP and Southern Baptists as "the Devil's Drink" according to some African American leadership consortiums. Legislators in Georgia and the Carolinas have asked Nestle and Lipton to drop the surname, "Sweet Tea" from its product line as it will soften tension by those affected as well as reduce the caloric intake of minorities, children and women.

Sound silly???

Well, the Confederate flag matter is just as stupid.

bilbur

Sweet Tea, a main staple in the South has enraged the NAACP and Southern Baptists as "the Devil's Drink" according to some African American leadership consortiums. Legislators in Georgia and the Carolinas have asked Nestle and Lipton to drop the surname, "Sweet Tea" from its product line as it will soften tension by those affected as well as reduce the caloric intake of minorities, children and women.

Sound silly???

Well, the Confederate flag matter is just as stupid.

While I agree that the confederate flag is a part of history and it represents some peoples heritage, like when the south Americans fly their native flags, but for a growing number of people it represents hate. Right or wrong it will never symbolize anything other than hate to them because of certain groups that have adopted the flag. Look at the Swastika, it was a symbol of well being to the Native Americans and now people only see hate when they see it. The Swastika, for good reason, will never again be an appropriate symbol to display except in a museum and the people that openly display it will automatically be associated with a hate group. This is probably the fate of the confederate flag.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
People get spun up because they have been taught a false narrative of history.

There is also a difference between the Confederate battle flag and the national flag of the Confederate States.

IMHO, both sides of this BS argument are wrong.

However, in this country, nobody is entitled to an independent opinion, is not allowed to think for themselves, and somebody has to apologize immediately.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think you can compare the Confederate flag to sweet tea.

The Confederacy lost, so why are we flying their flag anywhere in the US? The people saying SC should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag are the same ones who'd be losing their chit if the Mexican flag was flying over the capitol building in Austin, TX.

To me it's not about racism or slavery or any of that - it's about flying the flag of an army/nation who fought and killed Americans, and lost. The ONLY nation's flag that should be flying in US government buildings is Old Glory.

PJay

What's next..the American Flag? Some see that as hateful too. Be careful in what you're willing to give up because giving an inch will only lead them to wanting a mile.

GregV814

I think I did....do you really think this is about anything else than running down the American society in increments??? Homesick hit the nail on the head.

But lets take this a tad farther....we lost in Viet-Nam; should we remove the American Flag??? We got a bye in South Korea,,,and in the Middle East we are certainly NOT winning.... well???

Hannibal

I live in MD. Why should my opinion matter to those who live in SC? Let them vote on it like the laws allow.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But lets take this a tad farther....we lost in Viet-Nam; should we remove the American Flag??? We got a bye in South Korea,,,and in the Middle East we are certainly NOT winning.... well???

I'm pretty sure that Vietnam and Korea do not fly the US flag over their government buildings, nor does Iraq or Afghanistan.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I live in MD. Why should my opinion matter to those who live in SC? Let them vote on it like the laws allow.

Because they are basically pledging allegiance to an enemy nation by flying their flag. We should care about that. In fact, we fought a war to keep the United States united.

Because this is your country. Look at your country :cds: ...We are all Americans. Things that happen in SC today could happen in MD next month. :jameo:

I don't have much of an opinion on this. The Confederate Flag is a part of history but that building isn't a museum. I think if people want that flag on their personal property (cars, house, land, etc), they should be able to do so (freedom of speech)... But not on government property.

Hannibal

Because they are basically pledging allegiance to an enemy nation by flying their flag. We should care about that. In fact, we fought a war to keep the United States united.

I understand where you're coming from (even if I may respectfully disagree with it in part). But, just as with everything else in this country, people are trying to inject their own personal beliefs onto others. When you aren't part of that society, I don't believe you have any right to tell that society how to function.

I believe the law states that this is a state by state issue. If the people of SC want to continue flying this flag and they vote to do so - that is how the process works (and should). If the people of SC vote and say "take it down", then the people of SC have spoken.

It's not my place, as a person living in MD, to tell the people of SC what to do or not do regardless of my opinion on it. I have an opinion on the whole "Redskins" debate but it certainly isn't my place to tell Native Americans what is right or wrong in the debate. They have stake in the game whereas I do not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't have much of an opinion on this. The Confederate Flag is a part of history but that building isn't a museum. I think if people want that flag on their personal property (cars, house, land, etc), they should be able to do so (freedom of speech)... But not on government property.

Yep. And even if they wanted to display it in a case or something as an historical symbol, that makes sense. But it shouldn't be flying on State House grounds.

I also agree with you that if people want to display it personally, that should be their prerogative.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

But the Civil War was Americans fighting Americans. All your prior arguments ignore that.

I wouldn't be here if my G-G-G-Grandfather hadn't been summarily discharged and sent home early because he was the last alive of three brothers from Alabama that fought for the CSA. I don't feel the need to fly a CSA flag (begging the whole question about why SC flies that VA battle flag??..but I digress) but I do respect its historical significance as it relates to my own family.

Hannibal

Because this is your country. Look at your country :cds: ...We are all Americans. Things that happen in SC today could happen in MD next month. :jameo:

You're right it could. But this is nothing more than people using the actions of a racist A-hole to target something else they don't like. If this issue was so important to them (removal of the flag), they should've had it at the top of their list well before last weeks actions. I am not interested in letting the actions of some half-wit racist overhaul what has been in place since well before he was a twinkle is his mama's eye. You're giving HIM power.

Government is intended to be representative of its people. If the people want to vote against that flag - they can. And it would come down. But as soon as we start making up rules in response to a tragic event, we are on a very slippery slope. It's no one else's right but the people of SC to tell the people of SC what that flag means to them.

Salvador

One Nation Under God
But the Civil War was Americans fighting Americans. All your prior arguments ignore that.

I wouldn't be here if my G-G-G-Grandfather hadn't been summarily discharged and sent home early because he was the last alive of three brothers from Alabama that fought for the CSA. I don't feel the need to fly a CSA flag (begging the whole question about why SC flies that VA battle flag??..but I digress) but I do respect its historical significance as it relates to my own family.

:wah:

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
You're right it could. But this is nothing more than people using the actions of a racist A-hole to target something else they don't like. If this issue was so important to them (removal of the flag), they should've had it at the top of their list well before last weeks actions. I am not interested in letting the actions of some half-wit racist overhaul what has been in place since well before he was a twinkle is his mama's eye. You're giving HIM power.

Government is intended to be representative of its people. If the people want to vote against that flag - they can. And it would come down. But as soon as we start making up rules in response to a tragic event, we are on a very slippery slope. It's no one else's right but the people of SC to tell the people of SC what that flag means to them.

:dingding:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That's certainly not how they saw it. That's just how you see it. States still had some rights back then.

Here is the winner (It's Gilligan). It was a fight over State rights. For the sake of brevity in a lesson on history, I pulled this from the bastion of liberalism, The Baltimore Sun:

"The war resulted from causes unrelated to slavery and abolition. It was entirely a consequence of the Southern states' secession, which occurred despite the undeniable fact that the slave states could not have hoped for better protection of slavery than that afforded by the U. S. Constitution — provided they remained in the Union.

Both Lincoln and the slaveholders well knew in 1860 that a constitutional amendment ending slavery would never be mathematically feasible. But Lincoln further understood that the South was gravitating toward secession as the remedy for a different grievance altogether: The egregiously inequitable effects of a U. S. protective tariff that provided 90 percent of federal revenue."

That was the real, undeniable reason, for the war. And not really a civil war, but as a war of States against the federal government. So in essence, the Confederate flag represents freedom from tyranny.
Unlike the Maryland flag that pays homage to English royalty and monarchs. At your own leisure, do a search on one of the many search engines and un-program yourself from school taught history.