Grand Canyon trip planning

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
So what to do and see at the Grand Canyon? Which rim?

I've only seen it from an airplane. It was quite impressive. I was on a P-3 trip out west and the got as close as we could legally get. I'd like to spend a few days visiting like a tourist.

TIA

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So what to do and see at the Grand Canyon? Which rim?

I've only seen it from an airplane. It was quite impressive. I was on a P-3 trip out west and the got as close as we could legally get. I'd like to spend a few days visiting like a tourist.

TIA

I think Doug went not too long ago??? Never been but on my list one day!

Chris0nllyn

It's been awhile, but last time I went, I went to the Hualapai Indian Reservation which, I believe, is the West Rim.

Quite literally nothing out there. Long dirt roads lead to the canyon which has a small food stand, some people selling Indian stuff, and a cable leading to a bat cave where they farmed guano.

The view was pretty spectacular. You don't really have a sense for a mile-deep hole in the ground until you're standing on the edge.

Not much I can help you with outside of that, as it's been a number of years since I went.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Perfect timing! I'm planning a trip out there next month! I have an old girlfriend that lives in Gilbert (right outside Phoenix) and she has never been there. I was there when I was about 5, so I don't remember a whole lot about it. I also have a friend on the Navajo Reservation I would like to try and see. We will probably go to the South and East rims.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's been awhile, but last time I went, I went to the Hualapai Indian Reservation which, I believe, is the West Rim.

Quite literally nothing out there. Long dirt roads lead to the canyon which has a small food stand, some people selling Indian stuff, and a cable leading to a bat cave where they farmed guano.

The view was pretty spectacular. You don't really have a sense for a mile-deep hole in the ground until you're standing on the edge.

Not much I can help you with outside of that, as it's been a number of years since I went.

So, you do, in fact, know your #### about GC?

Roman

Just curious...What would they farm bat-poop for?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
South Rim is where the mostest of the facilities are located. The North Rim is harder to get to, and is about 1,000 - 1,500 feet higher in elevation. No matter where you go, the vistas are unbelievable.

If you want to do the rim to rim hike, plan on about 16-17 hours. I did it about five years ago, early June, started at the crack of dawn on the South rim at about 0500, Bright Angel to North Kaibab and back - about 24 miles round trip. Finished at around the end of daylight 2130 or so. Wife and kids waiting for me, and I was dead for the next day. The round trip hike is about 24 miles, with the last 4 or 5 miles an uphill hike to the finish.

The Grand Canyon is a must to see.

I would try to stay at the El Tovar or Bright Angel Lodge. Right on the South Rim. (Not cheap) Definitely walk along the rim away from crowds or even drive a ways and then hike. Nice to sit on the edge and watch the colors changes as the sun goes down or comes up. No, the edge is not as bad as it sounds in places. A lot of places you could easily get down to the next level. No rails away from the main spots. A hike or ride down on the burros is very cool if you can do it. I have never been to the Western part with the Havasupai Falls, but wish I had. The Park Services talk is neat also if you want to learn a bit of the history.

I agree with what desertrat advised. And would include planning a visit to Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, where Pluto was first observed. I also did the drive to the West rim skywalk. Different view and nice except for the "cattle style" movement to keep the line going but it is expected with a for-profit business. The drive into the skywalk area wasn't as bad as some have reported and I had no damage to a rental car. If pressed to choose I enjoyed the Western rim over the skywalk.

Beta

Smile!

They apparently added the skywalk to that rim. I think the west rim was more scenic than the southern rim, but there wasn't as much to do/see. Maybe the skywalk changed that. Both were day trips when I went. I did a day trip from Vegas to the western rim and I did the train ride from Williams for the southern rim. Enjoyed both, except made the mistake of thinking there was something else to do in Williams :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Do one of the rafting or dory trips. Look up and out of the canyon instead of down and in.

You can do that cheaper and faster by hiking down. I would like to take maybe the 5 day trip down the rapids though.